The Stella Awards - Stupid US Legal Payouts

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Wordsmith, Feb 5, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Wordsmith

Wordsmith LE Book Reviewer

It seems the Stella Awards have restarted. These are awards given to the most stupid payouts by American juries for damages.

The 2012 Stella Awards - WROQ

Wordsmith

2. fu2

fu2 LE

Just goes to prove that there is no commen sense in the american legal system and that some people are as dumb as shit. Q to the american arrsers: why don`t the judges overturn these jurys and tell them not to be so bloody stupid.

3. Surely this can't be real. Although it is yank, so it is believable.

4. And people think our justice system is fucked???

5. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

• Like Like x 9
  6. fu2

fu2 LE

The problem is it will slowly creep over into the british legal system and the chav scum will have a field day

7. Surprisingly the same stories have been circulating since 1998!

And all unfortunately false.

I prefer the Darwin Awards.

• Like Like x 1
  8. I agree! but if you go to this site -
    True Stella Awards: the 2003 Winners - the True Stella Awards

It tells you them for a few years. It also points out (well if you read it properly) that a lot of these cases had lawsuits filed for stupid reasons to get cash, but some had been thrown out of court, some were still in court and the odd person did get a payout. There's links to a few more of the years as well.

9. I was told a story about some bloke in the US who used his ride on lawnmower to trim his hedge. Apparently he used a couple of fence palings to drive it up on the hedge. When he and the mower fell off, it ended up cutting his hand off.
    I'm led to believe he got a payout and the mower manufacturer put a warning in its manuals about such fuckwittery.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

10. It might be bollocks but as it comes from the same place that puts "Point this end at enemy" on its weapons then you can see why it is so believable.

11. Never mind all that, what sort of word is:

"burglarized"

as in "who was leaving a house he had just burglarized". The property was burgled, he is a burglar. Good grief!