Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The steady encroachment of pseudoscience

Joe_Private

On ROPS
On ROPs
His recent work indicates the IQ has plateaued at best and in some cases decreased to a statistically significant extent.

I leave you to speculate on the reasons but the belief in assorted nonsense must be closely correlated.
People on benefits being paid to have more children, combined with lower infant mortality rates, and middle class professionals having fewer children. That's my speculation.

Niamac

GCM
People on benefits being paid to have more children, combined with lower infant mortality rates, and middle class professionals having fewer children. That's my speculation.
Probably true and then there are divided systems of education, health etc. to keep children from developing their full potential. The other possible problem is the screen, if theydon't have to think one day they find that they can't think. Sad thing is they won't notice. Give a child a blank piece of paper and ask them to draw an outline map of their country.

This guy had the homeopathy treatment and It worked, here is the proof.

Niamac

GCM
We're talking IQ, not educational attainment.
That's true but perhaps Professor Flynn's observation that measured IQ has slowly risen over the twentieth century is, at least partially, due to better education. Myself I think that as the complexity of life increased over the decades we had to get smarter to deal with it. This requirement is not so important if we have technological crutches that will do our thinking for us.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
That's true but perhaps Professor Flynn's observation that measured IQ has slowly risen over the twentieth century is, at least partially, due to better education. Myself I think that as the complexity of life increased over the decades we had to get smarter to deal with it. This requirement is not so important if we have technological crutches that will do our thinking for us.
I'd be interested to see how cognition has been affected by the advent of smart devices. I'd also be interested to see how educational reform has affected it.

Measured IQ will have risen for any number of reasons, including the rigour of schooling. Kids had to learn to learn - they were stretched. That's not so true now, I think.

I bet he’d be really conflicted if he now tried to communicate with us from the other side.

Some medium with a sense of humour might try this...
Colin Fry has been noticeably quiet since his death 5 years ago.

You'd have thought he'd be itching to tell the world "I told you so!" from beyond the grave.
The bullshitting widow botherer.

I'd be interested to see how cognition has been affected by the advent of smart devices. I'd also be interested to see how educational reform has affected it.

Measured IQ will have risen for any number of reasons, including the rigour of schooling. Kids had to learn to learn - they were stretched. That's not so true now, I think.
It's not, unfortunately children are taught to regurgitate a syllabus and nothing more.

SWMBO was a teacher when we met. As she put it: "Knowledge is expected to wash over the kids, and somehow stick. There's no rigour or effort."

I get all tingly when she talks like that.
My SIL in one, it's no secret that the objective is to get them to pass the exam and get the school results up, if they actually learn how to think then that's a lucky by product. The schools are graded by the number of pupils passing, as are the teachers (unofficially) which has implications for their career progression.

The only thing an IQ test measures is the ability to complete an IQ test. Familiarity will increase your score (significantly) and so will being subliminally taught (eg being encouraged by parents to do puzzles, jigsaws etc when you're young). Design of tests is often a culprit as well. If the test is designed by members of a particular community, that community will do better.

As for teaching, yes, it's teach to the exam, not teach the subject. The biggest problem with that is that the pupils cannot accept a different pov, they are inculcated at junior level that only their teachers have 'correct' knowledge, as this is vital to passing the exam - set, of course, by other academics...

Probably true and then there are divided systems of education, health etc. to keep children from developing their full potential. The other possible problem is the screen, if theydon't have to think one day they find that they can't think. Sad thing is they won't notice. Give a child a blank piece of paper and ask them to draw an outline map of their country.

Aviation (and pretty much everything else) is the same. Fit loads of stuff to cars and aircraft to ensure morons don't kill themselves and others. The end result is a larger infestation of morons.

Always. You should see the quality of some of the spackers who turn up. They can play the FMS keyboard like a Beethoven concerto, but go to pieces in mild turbulence. Also pretty much unable to think for themselves without using automation. Can't fly the aircraft for shit either.

Throw them a curve ball and everyone dies because they're terrified of going back to basics and hand flying the thing.

Always. You should see the quality of some of the spackers who turn up. They can play the FMS keyboard like a Beethoven concerto, but go to pieces in mild turbulence. Also pretty much unable to think for themselves without using automation. Can't fly the aircraft for shit either.

Throw them a curve ball and everyone dies because they're terrified of going back to basics and hand flying the thing.
I understand incipient spin recoveries are no longer practiced now also. Is that right? Sure I read it on Pprune or somewhere- binned for 'safety reasons' or something. In UK at least anyway.

The only thing an IQ test measures is the ability to complete an IQ test.

Familiarity will increase your score (significantly) and so will being subliminally taught (eg being encouraged by parents to do puzzles, jigsaws etc when you're young).

Design of tests is often a culprit as well. If the test is designed by members of a particular community, that community will do better.

All very good points,

With respect to the emboldened bit I read Hans Eysenck's Test Your Own IQ in 1975.

It is full of culturally specific questions. Even after the elapsed time I can still recall a few corkers.

One had some anagrams of sports and asked which was the odd one out. Something like OFTLLABO, GRYBU and OPOL. OPOL was odd as POLO was played on a horse. To Americans this could easily have been POOL. To the rest of the world it was nonsense (maybe apart from football).

Another had anagrams of types of British cars: DROF, NITSUA, SIRROM etc. Absolutely meaningless to the rest of the world.

Anyone in Africa or Asia wouldn't have a clue about these questions. Which naturally proved that they were inferior to Brits in IQ. As his mentor was Cyril Burt, a proven scientific fraud, I wasn't surprised.

Latest Threads