The start of an airgun ban?

The start of the slippery slope to banning airguns or just a publicity stunt to appease the anti-airgun lobby?

The justice minister has called on airgun owners to consider handing their weapons in to the authorities.

The call came after the death of Glasgow toddler Andrew Morton earlier this month in a shooting incident.

Leaders of the Association of Chief Police Officers in Scotland have joined forces with the minister in the call.

A Scottish Executive spokesman said: "Air weapons that are no longer wanted or needed can be handed in to any local police station in Scotland."

A new leaflet - entitled If You Don't Need It, Get Shot Of It - has been published, aimed at highlighting the risk from air weapons.

It calls on families and individuals with airguns to think about handing them over to the police.

The administration in Edinburgh has been taking part in a Home Office probe into firearms legislation. Ministers in Scotland have urged that "all options" are examined.

Opposed a ban

First Minister Jack McConnell said after Andrew's death on 4 March that Scotland's gun laws could be changed to bring in a total ban on air weapons.

Last week, Andrew's parents confronted Tory leader Michael Howard over his stance on the weapons.

Andrew Morton senior and Sharon McMillan blocked his way as he left the Scottish Tory conference in Dumfries.

Mr Howard had said that he opposed a ban on airguns and suggested that handgun legislation introduced after the Dunblane tragedy had gone too far.

The Gun Control Network (GCN) campaign group, set up after the atrocity, criticised Mr Howard's remarks and said they were "grossly irresponsible".

A 27-year-old suspect, Mark Bonini, has appeared in court accused of firing an air weapon or similar instrument at Andrew, whereby he died after being struck on the head by a pellet.
Justice minister asks airgun owners to hand them over

Yeh right.

I owned TAC weapons-1 rifle and 2 revolvers and found out quite by accident they were to become illegal.
I didn't even know how to convert them to fire "live" rounds and owned the rifle as a investment
Even Kent police had little info and they had to enforce the ban.
The hoops they wanted me to leap through to keep them were incredible, now I shoot a spring air rifle and if HMG want it they won't get my vote later this year.

Get the illegal drivers/cars off the road first I say!

It's this sort of thing that makes me sympathise with the rednecks in the US who aren't happy unless they are fondling an M1 while watching Band of Brothers and seem to think that school massacres are just part of God's plan.

archer said:
Yeh right.

I owned TAC weapons-1 rifle and 2 revolvers and found out quite by accident they were to become illegal.
I didn't even know how to convert them to fire "live" rounds and owned the rifle as a investment
Even Kent police had little info and they had to enforce the ban.
The hoops they wanted me to leap through to keep them were incredible, now I shoot a spring air rifle and if HMG want it they won't get my vote later this year.

Get the illegal drivers/cars off the road first I say!

thankfully when the new legislation on self-popelled ammunition firing guns came in, i had a helpful local armed response police officer who helped me understand if the law applied to my weapon. Thankfully it didnt, but the govts info campaign was completely inadequate!

So under Labour only the armed forces, police and...........criminals can have any sort of gun thingy......w*nkers