Builds the Star Wars Millenium Falcon, as you have never seen it.

Over on Brexit modeller, Gorby is doing a prototype early concept Dalek from the artwork created by a 1963 BBC special effects designer, inspirational idea to say the least, casting around for something similar, scratch building isn't something I do often, there are so many kits out there, real life subjects are getting fewer. But concept ideas, early designs will seldom make it into kit form, unless it's German WW2 of course.

So here we go, my spares box will come to the rescue as I scratch build one of these. I've circled the one I'm going to build,
concept art for Millenium Falcon b.jpg

the model they placed as the Milleium Falcon was rejected by George Lucas and Steven Spielburg as they realized it was too similar to the Eagle Transporter that those damn inventive Britishers had created for Gerry Anderson's Space 1999. so as Steve was chomping on a Hamburger with a Gherkin on the side, hah, that's the design we'll use, after 10,000 Dollars of the miniatures budget had already been used up on this early design.

So this looks buildable with discarded aircraft parts in my spares box, I wondered what I'd kept it for....
concept art for Millenium Falcon c.jpg

Once you’ve built it I wonder what it’s value would be to ardent star wars fans.

Once you’ve built it I wonder what it’s value would be to ardent star wars fans.
I'm proud of your faith in my scratch building dinger, building this might stretch my abilities, but I'll forge ahead and risk making a fool of myself, here goes.

and I don't own the rights to the design.

So the fist step to this daunting task is to study the original concept drawing and draw my own build diagrams, as an early concept drawing only has detail from one side, a lot of the unseen stuff will have to come from guess work, not guess work, evidence.

the nose and cockpit have collars supporting the cabin.
cockpit and nose.jpg

the pods at the side are buildable as is the ladder like structure running the length of the fuselage. That ladder must have been inspired from the Eagle Transporter.
side pods.jpg

the tail has these fin like objects, reminding me that this is an interplanetary craft for flight in space and in the atmosphere of Tatooine escaping from Mos Eisley space port in the original film.
tail end.jpg

I was thinking the build in a case with a written associated history. People love little known facts. The $10,000 spent on ideas and models, then it came about for a few $$$ burger is brilliant. Anyone with a star wars interest and knowing that will never look at a burger in the same way again.

and I don't own the rights to the design.

So the fist step to this daunting task is to study the original concept drawing and draw my own build diagrams, as an early concept drawing only has detail from one side, a lot of the unseen stuff will have to come from guess work, not guess work, evidence.

the nose and cockpit have collars supporting the cabin.
View attachment 598162
the pods at the side are buildable as is the ladder like structure running the length of the fuselage. That ladder must have been inspired from the Eagle Transporter.
View attachment 598163
the tail has these fin like objects, reminding me that this is an interplanetary craft for flight in space and in the atmosphere of Tatooine escaping from Mos Eisley space port in the original film.
View attachment 598164

If the concept drawing looks in proportion, then you can take the proportions from it, even though the size might be different.

If it was me I’d be looking at mock ups with paper or card for the basic detail and dimensions. Then everything works to that.

I'm very interested to see how this turns out.

drawing the side elevation keeping the proportions in keeping with the original drawing.
unlike how I've drawn it, the out- rigger nacelles are level with the main body. the drawing doesn't show any landing gear, so the design of these will be pinched from one of the other designs shown above.
side elevation.jpg

Does your mum know you’ve stolen it?
Annoyingly the film it's from doesn't seem to be available online.
At least from a reputable website.

Latest Threads