The Spy Who Came In From Al-Qaeda

This morning on BBC Radio 4 at 9am Uk Time

Aimen Dean was a founding member of al-Qaeda, swearing an oath of allegiance with Osama bin Laden. In 1998 he was picked up and interrogated by British intelligence. Disillusioned with al-Qaeda's terrorist agenda, he took the dramatic decision to become a spy for MI6 and MI5. He spent eight years under cover as a spy in the UK and at the heart of al Qaeda in Afghanistan. He tells his story publicly for the first time.

Aimen Dean was a founding member of al-Qaeda, swearing an oath of allegiance with Osama bin Laden. In 1998 he was picked up and interrogated by British intelligence. Disillusioned with al-Qaeda's terrorist agenda, he took the dramatic decision to become a spy for MI6 and MI5. He spent eight years under cover as a spy in the UK and at the heart of al Qaeda in Afghanistan. He tells his story publicly for the first time.
Each to his own, probably got a death wish, waiting for the forthcoming Fatwah. Still Brave bloke and probably been blown or equally just about had enough.

AfghanAndy

On ROPS
On ROPs
Does he know where the mythical Chechems went in Helmand?

Says his cover was exposed by an American author.
Bloke will get topped sooner or later. However, if he was at the heart - could there have been something of the Enigma machine machinations going on? We know there is going to be a strike but won't tip off our local lads for fear of exposing the source. Could wikileaks have a field day with this one?

Kudos to the chap for turning and putting his life at risk. Still a cnut for getting involved in the first place though.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Extraordinary story http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05mrj7f

Well worth a listen - and whatever his motivation for turning his keffiyeh, glad he chose to do so.

The cynic in me asks - Why now ? Budget allocation for humint under threat?

New ID and job in Canada awaits?
That's not been too succesful before though has it :)

I know this is a serious thread but your suggestion has left me with the mental image of a bloke disguised in a full on Burqa.......but with a wolverine fur trim around the eye hole.

Excellent bit of reporting, interesting how he took apart that fatwa.

Paxman gives him a harder time on hard talk

Suprised he is happy to show his face on tellybox. He also pimps out his new role as consultant to banking industry

I can't help suspect this is part of some bigger plan/agenda by our lot.

Having listened to the man speak, he is enormously persuasive and obviously still pursuing his own agenda. I hope that he has done the west some good along the way.

I watched this on BBC 2 "Hard Talk" - quite interesting, and I would agree with what has been said. Any reformation in Islam as a faith, must come from within, and cannot be imposed from without by well meaning "Intellectuals" or force of arms from the West.

Christianity had to go through its Reformation 500 or so years ago. However this still hasn't stopped Christians from murdering other nominal Christians as in the Hutu - Tutsi genocide of Rwanda some years ago.

Much of the killing of fellow co-religionists within Islam is tribal in nature, where blood feuds have 'substance', and can go back generations. As long as there is the great schism between Sunni and Shi'a Islam, nothing much will change, or against those other minority groups within Islam.