Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

The Spy and the Traitor. Ben Macintyre

I have just finished Ben Macintyre's history of Oleg Gordievsky, the KGB officer who spied for MI6 from 1973 to 85. There is an excellent review in the Spectator and another on Amazon (see below).

Amazon product ASIN 1101904194
I recommend this book to anyone who remembers the period or has an interest in the cold war and the demise of Soviet communism.

Damn you Sir, another book to my growing pile.

I am heading for death by tsundoku, when they collapse on me. This is however a mandatory buy, his book on Philby is one of my favourites. Smashed over a bank holiday weekend fueled by strong Maatouk coffee.

Urban Dictionary: Tsundoku

Recently listened to an interview with the author of this book. Fascinating account and in the light of recent events I imagine the protection of Gordievsky has been stepped up. I suspect Gordievsky does not have much love for the CIA given how he was "betrayed" to the KGB.

Now that Le Carre is getting on a bit, his output is slow and I´ve re-read nearly all his work, I suppose I should turn to true stories unless anyone has any other recommendations.

Now that Le Carre is getting on a bit, his output is slow and I´ve re-read nearly all his work, I suppose I should turn to true stories unless anyone has any other recommendations.

Jeremy Duns' Paul Dark Series are very enjoyable. He's also a mate so help fill his bank account, so he can buy me beer when I next see him

I was recently at a function where Richard Dearlove (Ex Head of MI6) was speaking. Towards the end, a few were asking him to recommend an author along the lines of Le Carre. Dearlove said, "Alan Judd seems to have his finger on the button and is as close as you are likely to get." I have read quite a few of his boks and they are indeed, a good read. Not to everyone`s taste I would imagine, but hey-ho.

Alan Judd - Wikipedia

Oh, and apparently Mick Herron is another worth trying.

Last edited:
I was recently at a function where Richard Dearlove (Ex Head of MI6) was speaking. Towards the end, a few were asking him to recommend an author along the lines of Le Carre. Dearlove said, "Alan Judd seems to have his finger on the button and is as close as you are likely to get." I have read quite a few of his boks and they are indeed, a good read. Not to everyone`s taste I would imagine, but hey-ho.

Alan Judd - Wikipedia

Oh, and apparently Mick Herron is another worth trying.

I read Judds first book of his series about Chuckie Thoroughgood as a squaddie in NI & it was bloody good & funny for a fictionalised read. The continuing development of the character through his spying career in the rest of the books is well worth a read. I wouldn't jump in to the series though, I'd start at the beginning. Its worth it.

Damn you Sir, another book to my growing pile.

I am heading for death by tsundoku, when they collapse on me. This is however a mandatory buy, his book on Philby is one of my favourites. Smashed over a bank holiday weekend fueled by strong Maatouk coffee.

Urban Dictionary: Tsundoku
Had to google “tsundoku”.
A very good word...
Please tell me there is a German equivalent that doesn’t directly translate into English!