The Special Reconnaissance Regiment - Army Dress Ctte Ruling

In case you see any of these 'enabling' types and wonder who they are, they will be wearing the classic sand hat beloved of a certain other organisation; complete with a capbadge fashioned from a grecian helmet with a sword running vertically through it and the word 'Reconnaissance' on a scroll beneath; and blue belts.

I imagine the belts are going to cause even more grief than is currently the case... :D

isnt this the lot who are going to do a 14int job on the taliban ?
dream job getting pissed in a bradford curry house at tax payers exspense :lol:

an official Regiment of Walts?

Calypso said:
In case you see any of these 'enabling' types and wonder who they are, they will be wearing the classic sand hat beloved of a certain other organisation; complete with a capbadge fashioned from a grecian helmet with a sword running vertically through it and the word 'Reconnaissance' on a scroll beneath; and blue belts.

I imagine the belts are going to cause even more grief than is currently the case... :D
This is strangely reminiscient of an American organisation of Vietnam vintage that had the word RECON on their capbadge plus the latin motto " TACIT?,CELER,FATALIS " (silent,swift,deadly) .Sadly they were proved to be none of them

looked into this!..............good bunch of lads you know who you are. Not sure about the blue belts though! Surely the Corps belts will live on! Unless the blade course is fully carried out!?! If not BLAH will hit the roof!

looked into this!..............good bunch of lads you know who you are. Not sure about the blue belts though! Surely the Corps belts will live on! Unless the blade course is fully carried out!?! If not BLAH will hit the roof!

RCSignals said:
Fraser said:
WhiteHorse said:
Possibly this lot.

The Telegraph - 25 Jul 2004
So then is this the "Ranger" unit previously talked about?

If not, why this new "Reconnaissance and Surveillance Regiment" ? Couldn't THEY just do the same?
From The Telegraph
Volunteers for the regiment, both male and female, will be taken from all three branches of the Armed Forces. Officers are keen to recruit those of Middle Eastern or Mediterranean appearance, as well as Muslims and members of ethnic minorities.

Priority will be given to those able to infiltrate or blend in with Islamic terror groups, rather than, as with the SAS, their fitness or fighting capabilities.
I guess not...

Yes, what I meant was, rather than create a whole new Regiment, a sub unit of THEM.
Or the Int Corps. Similar have operated in the past and in past conflicts without "Regiment" status

RCSignals said:
Yes, what I meant was, rather than create a whole new Regiment, a sub unit of THEM.
Or the Int Corps. Similar have operated in the past and in past conflicts without "Regiment" status
Sorry RCS - didn't mean to be obtuse! I know that women are used in 14 Int, but if this was a sub-unit of SAS then would there be implications for the acceptance of women into The Regiment? I don't know enough about Army structure to know the whys & wherefores, but I also wondered why it couldn't just be a part of Int Corps.

E

error_unknown

DozyBint said:
RCSignals said:
Sorry RCS - didn't mean to be obtuse! I know that women are used in 14 Int, but if this was a sub-unit of SAS then would there be implications for the acceptance of women into The Regiment? I don't know enough about Army structure to know the whys & wherefores, but I also wondered why it couldn't just be a part of Int Corps.
The roots of this lie in NI in the early 70s. In essence the Int Corps was asked if it could form a surveillance unit to operate in NI but was at that time so stretched that the best that it could do was provide some training personnel. Instead, the SAS which wasn't then involved in NI but was keen to establish a foothold, offered to supervise the formation of a unit of E2 volunteers who would be trained by Int Corps and SAS personnel. This eventually evolved into '14 Coy' and appears to have now evolved into this new regiment.

E

error_unknown

Also, worth mentioning that this represents some really stomping Empire building. 25 years ago 'Special Forces' were 250 blokes in a hutted camp in Hereford, 40 in NI, 80 in Poole. Now it's a goddamn brigade! :lol:

Taken from the CGS's Press Statement:

There is a clear operational requirement to establish a dedicated direct support battalion to our special forces, thereby making a very significant improvement to our prosecution of global counter terrorism amongst other important tasks. We need to do a little more work to completely define the construct and role of such a battalion and this will be done in the New Year. However, given this capability requires a unit of particular skills and experience the fourth reduction will now be found by the removal of the 1st Battalion The Parachute Regiment from the line Infantry, using its highly trained manpower and structure as the core of this new ‘ranger’ battalion.

The SRR are doing the rounds of regular Regiments giving briefings, it's different to what the papers say ... wait out, better if they explain it.

I would prefer it if the taxpayers money was spent on keeping the existing regiments rather than creating new ones.

The report that this new lot are keen to recruit ethnic minorities and muslims smells of discrimination. I