The Special Reconnaissance Regiment - Army Dress Ctte Ruling

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Acid_Tin, Mar 26, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. In case you see any of these 'enabling' types and wonder who they are, they will be wearing the classic sand hat beloved of a certain other organisation; complete with a capbadge fashioned from a grecian helmet with a sword running vertically through it and the word 'Reconnaissance' on a scroll beneath; and blue belts.

I imagine the belts are going to cause even more grief than is currently the case... :D

2. Any pics around?

3. isnt this the lot who are going to do a 14int job on the taliban ?
    dream job getting pissed in a bradford curry house at tax payers exspense :lol:

4. Or the new 'Ranger' style unit TCH brief during the defence review?

5. an official Regiment of Walts?

6. This is strangely reminiscient of an American organisation of Vietnam vintage that had the word RECON on their capbadge plus the latin motto " TACIT?,CELER,FATALIS " (silent,swift,deadly) .Sadly they were proved to be none of them

7. looked into this!..............good bunch of lads you know who you are. Not sure about the blue belts though! Surely the Corps belts will live on! Unless the blade course is fully carried out!?! If not BLAH will hit the roof!

8. looked into this!..............good bunch of lads you know who you are. Not sure about the blue belts though! Surely the Corps belts will live on! Unless the blade course is fully carried out!?! If not BLAH will hit the roof!

9. So then is this the "Ranger" unit previously talked about?

If not, why this new "Reconnaissance and Surveillance Regiment" ? Couldn't THEY just do the same?

10. From The Telegraph
    I guess not...

11. Yes, what I meant was, rather than create a whole new Regiment, a sub unit of THEM.
    Or the Int Corps. Similar have operated in the past and in past conflicts without "Regiment" status

12. Sorry RCS - didn't mean to be obtuse! I know that women are used in 14 Int, but if this was a sub-unit of SAS then would there be implications for the acceptance of women into The Regiment? I don't know enough about Army structure to know the whys & wherefores, but I also wondered why it couldn't just be a part of Int Corps.

13. The roots of this lie in NI in the early 70s. In essence the Int Corps was asked if it could form a surveillance unit to operate in NI but was at that time so stretched that the best that it could do was provide some training personnel. Instead, the SAS which wasn't then involved in NI but was keen to establish a foothold, offered to supervise the formation of a unit of E2 volunteers who would be trained by Int Corps and SAS personnel. This eventually evolved into '14 Coy' and appears to have now evolved into this new regiment.