The Somme

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by spike7451, Jun 30, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

This weekend marks the 90th anniversary of the start of the Battle of the Somme,One of the bloodiest battles ever fought. 21,500 were killed or missing & a further 35,000 wounded.The first day of the battle was the single most loss of life by any army on one day alone.
    Without these ordinary men,From Coalminers & Tramdrivers to Lords & aristocricy, who left their families & their country to fight on foreign soil,god only knows where we would be now.
    Sadly,the younger generations have all but forgotten these men,who's number grows fewer every year.But some of us will ensure their sacrifice will not go unremembered,the dead unforgotten.
    To those brave men,
    Thank You.
  2. From their sacrifice we have Blair and Bush etc, was it really worth it...
  3. oddly not as bad as you think re the younger generation. Seems visitors to the various final resting places of the BEF/Pals in france is much higher than it was 30 years ago with many of the entries in visitors books showing the (louzy) spelling of the brit teenager.

Think they are remembered still.
  4. Hope they are remembered, for making the ultimate sacrifice
    for their country.
  5. It's still a big thing in many schools in the UK. Many do trips to the Somme as part of the national curriculum. It's good that, although history is constantly dumbed down, they are still reminded of the sacrifices of their great/great great grandfathers.
  6. Who cares if their spellings are (Apart from spelling nazis, and teachers who are a bunch of cnuts anyway) bollox at least they've botherd to add to the visitor book. Which is a good thing.
  7. I would venture to suggest that there was a reasonable percentage of the Pals and other battalions whose sole contribution to English grammar was the making of their mark.

'Twas more than enough.

Remembered Always.
  8. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

The is a documentary tommorow afternoon on Channel 5 about the Somme.
  9. We will remember them.

Myself at the HD monument at Beaumont Hamel (2001). This was a 1st July objective, which was finally taken by 51st (Highland) Division on 13 November 1916 by...the last day of the battle.

Attached Files:

10. On the History Channel International there was an excellent show about the Somme. Quite the battle it was. Another reason for the British Army to be proud of their heritage.

For CaptCudleberry, or whatever, STFU. Your an idiot...
  11. The Newfoundland Regiments attack area near Beaumont Hamel.

Ranks with Auschwitz as the most moving places i've visited.

RIP Lads.
  12. The Somme was, arguably, the Ultimate tragedy of the British Empire, as well the greatest truimph, of the average Tommy who made that empire possible.

I see the Somme, as being a important milestone on the way to the Modern British Army.
    However, while not in any way detracting from the modern British Soldier, the generation that fought the Somme Leave me in awe of both their fortitude and achievements.
  13. Lt.Col A L Hadow later was to write later that the newfoundlanders had done as much as possible 'because dead men can advance no further'. 30 minutes of combat and of 800 men only 68 are unwounded.
  14. Lawrence Binyon’s poem ‘For the Fallen’, which he wrote, prophetically, in the earliest weeks of the war. Today most of the poem is neglected, but these four lines have become a kind of secular prayer ;

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old :
    Age shall not wither them nor the years condemn.
    At the going down of the sun and in the morning
    We will remember them.

R.I.P. When i read this verse it brought tears to my eye's