The Somme then & now in full HD

Just found this beauty on Youtube:

I love looking at old photographs and comparing to the exact same position nowadays, spotting the little markings that still exist etc.

This video is a brilliantly put together comparison of video taken at the time of The Somme, and fades between the exact location then, and now.
You b'stards have probably all seen it before though. Thought I'd put it here anyway.

I love looking at old photographs and comparing to the exact same position nowadays, spotting the little markings that still exist etc.

This video is a brilliantly put together comparison of video taken at the time of The Somme, and fades between the exact location then, and now.
You b'stards have probably all seen it before though. Thought I'd put it here anyway.

That man should get some sort of recognition for the work he put into that film,, Fckin excellent work..

So who here has watched this, and what are your thoughts?

I'm very surprised mainstream TV have not picked up on it by the quality, or done something similar.

4(T)

LE
Wow. A magnificent piece of work. Very evocative.

A very good idea to map the film onto the terrain - it brings the scene to life in a way that the original film on its own does not.

Very interesting to see how ditches, doors, small muddy ridges, even hedge lines, have all remained unaltered over a century later.

The original film maker was recklessly brave; poking a large apparatus over a trench parapet just a hundred yards or so away from an enemy line - surprised he didn't get sniped or DF'd.

Excellent concealed 9.2" howitzer position on the reverse slope. I guess the GPO must have been very sure of his crest angles!

I wonder if someone could sponsor this to get the original film colourised and re-edited into the modern footage? That'd be fairly dramatic.

Wow. A magnificent piece of work. Very evocative.

A very good idea to map the film onto the terrain - it brings the scene to life in a way that the original film on its own does not.

Very interesting to see how ditches, doors, small muddy ridges, even hedge lines, have all remained unaltered over a century later.

The original film maker was recklessly brave; poking a large apparatus over a trench parapet just a hundred yards or so away from an enemy line - surprised he didn't get sniped or DF'd.

Excellent concealed 9.2" howitzer position on the reverse slope. I guess the GPO must have been very sure of his crest angles!

I wonder if someone could sponsor this to get the original film colourised and re-edited into the modern footage? That'd be fairly dramatic.
I would bloody love to see this colourised!
how much would that sort of thing cost? Is it of film production scales?

So who here has watched this, and what are your thoughts?

I'm very surprised mainstream TV have not picked up on it by the quality, or done something similar.
I watched it and was impressed with the videographers ability to transpose the two images.
The sunken road footage of the Lancashire lads just before going over the top on July 1st always gets me.
As memories fade, this sort of film making brings it all to life. I hope more like this are made and that some mainstream production companies get on board.
It makes me want to visit the western front again.

This excellent piece of work has been on Youtube a few weeks.
Apart from RWC, Remembrance Day and the Queens Speech, I no longer watch television.

Its shite, and Youtube is so much better.

All ghosts, all gone..

Superb find, mate.

Outstanding. Well done!

Ken M

Swinger
If you want to see outstanding remastered and colourized WW1 film, watch Peter Jackson's "They Shall Not Grow Old" on BBC iPlayer. Preferably on a good 4k tv to appreciate it.

People moan that it’s not as good, post crap memes (me), bicker, take the pi$$, argue, wish annoying useless civvies like me wouldn’t come here & all that, but sometimes someone comes up with something like this & it makes it worthwhile.
That’s what I love about this site. It doesn’t matter what period if history you’re interested in, or any problems you’ve got, someone will always know a lot more than you about it. I’ve learned loads just from reading posts here.

still staggin

War Hero
Thanks for posting that very interesting, the chap who made that obviously put a lot of effort into it. The sunken lane footage always gets me.
Saw a programme couple of years ago with a deaf woman lip reading the blokes talking in the sunken lane, even more moving.
Thanks again for the post.

Latest Threads