"The Slut" is changing my daughters name!

Discussion in 'Finance, Property, Law' started by FatBoyGeorge, Dec 4, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Right, the soon to be ex-wife has said to me via SMS that she intends to change my daughters surname from my own, to her maiden name some time next year. I am the paternal father, I was there at the birth (delivered her myself for those who didn't see that thread), and was present at the registration. Now all that means that it is my name on the birth certificate and that I have equal parental rights with "The Slut".

For her to do this via Deed Poll, which I believe it will have to be, does she need my consent? I have a good solicitor who I will ask when we next meet, but he's at home and I want to be able to put her to rights.

Thanks in advance fellow Arrsers.

2. Yes She Needs your Consent.

Cr33p

3. That's what I thought. Cheers Cr33p.

Can any others confirm?

4. Consent required as you have equal parental rights.

See a solicitor and get them to write to her informing her of this and politely tell her to go fcuk herself.

5. I'm no legal expert, but I think that she'll need your permission. Women come out with all sorts of shiite during a divorce, mine gave me loads of bizarre threats too.

Hopefully she'll die soon, and save you the trouble of murdering her.

6. Thank you very much for that. You have all made my day, time to give her the bad news.................

7. my daughter changed her name and I was informed of such in my HAPPY DIVORCE card from her which I received on the day my decree absolute came through!!

8. She needs your permission, however, she can call your daughter by whatever name she wants. For example, she can register her at school under your wife's maiden name and request that she is known by that name by the school, she just couldn't change legals docs without your permission (Passport etc).

Regards,

SS

9. Nice touch!

10. My brother is going through the same thing at the minute. Your consent is required to change any legal documentation.

11. Read the first section in this article. It says otherwise, and so does a close family member who's a child social worker.

12. Using the kids as a weapon.

Ah - You just can't buy class like that.

:wink:

Ensure you save the text message and document any further contact on the issue or similar issues somewhere.

13. A mate of mine got divorced, he had a daughter of ten and a step son of 16 who never bore his name. Mother decides to nag daughter into changing her name as soon as she was 16, step son by then 22 changes his name by deed poll to step dad's - I've never seen my mate so happy, proud and blubbing at the same time. We all did get p1ssed and now daughter's talking about changing back - result!

14. From my past experience they can call the kids by whatever name they want on non legal documentation (school/playgroup registration, doctors etc etc) but for anything legal (passports, birth certificates etc) then they cant change it without your permission. The child has to be 16 for them to be able to change their own name without your say so.
    Also your ex can legally still use her married surname until such time as she changes it by deed poll or remarriage, so watch out for her getting credit etc using your surname cos thats what mine did!!!