The SLR - where did they all go?

We have previously discussed the whereabouts of the old SLR; after all, the MOD must have had almost half a million in its armouries.

I found this article in the FT. It opens with a photograph of a female PLA soldier clutching what looks like an SLR, but the rear sight doesn't look correct. Is this the Belgian FN?

It's an interesting article anyway - about the integration (or otherwise) of the Maoist forces (the PLA) into the Nepali National Army.

Litotes

I heard that a load of SLR's went back to some Royal Ordnance factory in Nottingham and had some big bright red massive new safety catch fitted and were exported to friendly African Commonwealth Countries by the MoD.

I thought India or Sierra Leone got them all.... can't remember which.

They certainly got the '58 webbing.

Westside.

That which she is holding is an Indian "1A SLR" a reverse engineered version of the L1a1

The worn out ones were scrapped, the decent ones were given away to turd world armies in Africa, the unissued ones and ex FIDF ones were sold off to some company in Europe and sold on into the EU civvy market, a mate of mine in Germany has a brand new ex UK MOD SLR he bought that way.

Rumpelstiltskin said:

Westside.
What a sad end for an SLR....

I hope they clean them well, and do the odd bit of foot drill with thme.

load of part kits ended up in the US b'stads :cry:
The US has a Civillian marksmanship programme. sell cheap Garands if you join a shooting club :(

Blue/GreenJob said:
That which she is holding is an Indian "1A SLR" a reverse engineered version of the L1a1
I knew some sad spotter would know that!!!

:D

Litotes

(Me? Train spotter actually. I have this little notebook....)

But what a weapon eh? Knew you'd been shot with a 7.62.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
SPSnoMore said:
But what a weapon eh? Knew you'd been shot with a 7.62.
More than a wee lie down and an aspirin anyway!

Litotes said:
chocolate_frog said:
Rumpelstiltskin said:

Westside.
What a sad end for an SLR....

I hope they clean them well, and do the odd bit of foot drill with thme.
and do pokey drill!

Litotes
Only if they fcuk up the general salute :lol:
Perhaps we could arrange for some SAA instruction aswell? Or sort them out with the S.U.I.T sites for better accuracy at range :wink:

Targets will fall when hit :D

Still used on RN warships for firing RAS batons across to the RFAs.

(The plastic thing with a thin rope attached that has the thicker ropes attached)

Republic of Sierra Leone Armed Forces got a lot of them (nick named the Penfold gun after the High Commissioner who got them). They also got loads of GPMGs (with wooden stocks), 4T Bedfords and Landrovers. Can't help but think we might need the GPMGs back - if they haven't been "lost" :)

Why? The British Army has recently taken delivery of a bunch of brand-new GPMGs manufactured by HK; see the GPMG thread and here:

http://www.janes.com/articles/Janes...neral-purpose-machine-gun-United-Kingdom.html

.Production in the UK was originally carried out at the Royal Small Arms Factory at Enfield Lock (now closed) in Greater London. UK production of guns and spare parts was later undertaken by Manroy Engineering Ltd of Beckley, East Sussex. In 2008 Heckler & Koch GmbH began production of the L7A2 for the British MoD.

I'm sure it's been covered on another thread, but didn't 1 PARA liberate an SLR from the West Side Boys,and on return to the UK it was dicovered that it had belonged to the battalion in the 1970s but had been "destroyed" after Bloody Sunday?