The SLR - where did they all go?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Litotes, Sep 28, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. We have previously discussed the whereabouts of the old SLR; after all, the MOD must have had almost half a million in its armouries.

I found this article in the FT. It opens with a photograph of a female PLA soldier clutching what looks like an SLR, but the rear sight doesn't look correct. Is this the Belgian FN?

It's an interesting article anyway - about the integration (or otherwise) of the Maoist forces (the PLA) into the Nepali National Army.

2. I heard that a load of SLR's went back to some Royal Ordnance factory in Nottingham and had some big bright red massive new safety catch fitted and were exported to friendly African Commonwealth Countries by the MoD.
  3. I thought India or Sierra Leone got them all.... can't remember which.

They certainly got the '58 webbing.
  4. That which she is holding is an Indian "1A SLR" a reverse engineered version of the L1a1
  5. The worn out ones were scrapped, the decent ones were given away to turd world armies in Africa, the unissued ones and ex FIDF ones were sold off to some company in Europe and sold on into the EU civvy market, a mate of mine in Germany has a brand new ex UK MOD SLR he bought that way.
  6. What a sad end for an SLR....

I hope they clean them well, and do the odd bit of foot drill with thme.
  7. load of part kits ended up in the US b'stads :cry:
    The US has a Civillian marksmanship programme. sell cheap Garands if you join a shooting club :(
  8. I knew some sad spotter would know that!!!

(Me? Train spotter actually. I have this little notebook....)
  9. and do pokey drill!

10. But what a weapon eh? Knew you'd been shot with a 7.62.
  11. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

More than a wee lie down and an aspirin anyway!
  12. The UK Government is good at giving things away, some are just utter sh1te, whos nicked the foresights????

13. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

The's a pic of a Westside boy giving it large with an ex Brit SLR in Col Tim's book,problem is the's no working parts in the gat!
  14. Only if they fcuk up the general salute :lol:
    Perhaps we could arrange for some SAA instruction aswell? Or sort them out with the S.U.I.T sites for better accuracy at range :wink:

Targets will fall when hit :D