Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Sky at Night

At Beaulieu last year, evicted from house while new central heating pipework went in, we visited the SOE museum there. On display was a Luftwaffe map of Southampton from about 1940, from a downed bomber. First thing I did was look for our house (even though our neighbour, when we moved in in the 80s, told how when the estate was built on the site of a pig farm in the 60s).

The now main road through the estate was clearly the 1940 town boundary. It was all fields beyond (mercifully the first few acres remain a sports field. We're separated from the sports field by a new link road to the M271). If only it were ever thus. But no, they're filling in the gaps between us and the M27 with ever more housing. Sooner we move somewhere dark, the better.
As we now know, there is another thread. @AlienFTM, depends on how far you want to travel. I live a short drive from you, north of the (currently unlit) M27 near Fareham. North to Wickham, and over towards the Forest of Bere, it is quite dark. For this part of the world, amazingly so.
The flight path for the airport has also calmed down a lot, helping daytime sky watching.
Short excursion, babies heads in the bv, followed by hot chocolate?
Most of the Solent city build is below the motorway, and we are just feeling the benefits of the hills for shielding light pollution.
Just as where you are, it will all be built on. But not for a while: enjoy it whilst you can.
I recommend it: it is not difficult to get into the sticks in Hampshire.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
As we now know, there is another thread. @AlienFTM, depends on how far you want to travel. I live a short drive from you, north of the (currently unlit) M27 near Fareham. North to Wickham, and over towards the Forest of Bere, it is quite dark. For this part of the world, amazingly so.
The flight path for the airport has also calmed down a lot, helping daytime sky watching.
Short excursion, babies heads in the bv, followed by hot chocolate?
Most of the Solent city build is below the motorway, and we are just feeling the benefits of the hills for shielding light pollution.
Just as where you are, it will all be built on. But not for a while: enjoy it whilst you can.
I recommend it: it is not difficult to get into the sticks in Hampshire.
Planning to move to Welsh Wales, isn't it look you boyo, where dark skies are cherished and put the clock back on building everywhere by a decade or two.

Planning to move to Welsh Wales, isn't it look you boyo, where dark skies are cherished and put the clock back on building everywhere by a decade or two.
Da yawn. Just remember: north Wales = scousers, some of whom may speak Welsh.
South Wales = people who live in hills, think they are Welsh, but probably don’t speak it
The bit in between (80%) = still think David Lloyd George could be prime minister. Burn people as witches because they ‘can read’.
You never know, you might fit right in.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Da yawn. Just remember: north Wales = scousers, some of whom may speak Welsh.
South Wales = people who live in hills, think they are Welsh, but probably don’t speak it
The bit in between (80%) = still think David Lloyd George could be prime minister. Burn people as witches because they ‘can read’.
You never know, you might fit right in.
You'd be surprised how well the Welsh take a northeast accent. I went to a mucker's wedding in 1978. Her extended family were all Welsh. They all loved Geordie Hussars. And I've holidayed there for nearly 25 years. I don't worry at all about fitting in.

You'd be surprised how well the Welsh take a northeast accent. I went to a mucker's wedding in 1978. Her extended family were all Welsh. They all loved Geordie Hussars. And I've holidayed there for nearly 25 years. I don't worry at all about fitting in.
Man, are we now on a big thread drift...
I did a college dissertation on mining strikes in north Wales, and the owners of mines bringing in ‘cheaper’ labour from the NE of England (or at least threatening to). The main argument was NE England miners would send their women down the pit, and the Welsh thought this an abomination.
Welsh miners won (sort of). The Denbighshire Yeomanry did not make a good job of it.
Best of luck with your future plans. Having lived in Wales, and still having lots of friends there, not sure I’d move there again.

The sky at night may be about to change, or maybe not.

'A red supergiant star known as Betelgeuse has intrigued scientists worldwide as it inexplicably began to dim noticeably in the sky. We mentioned recentlythat scientists believe they now know what caused the dimming. The theory is that material was ejected from the star’s surface and cooled in space, turning into dust that has blocked a significant portion of the light from reaching Earth.

'What’s more interesting is that scientists now believe that Betelgeuse may be dimming again and might be ready to go supernova. There is no doubt that, at some point, the red supergiant star will end its life in a supernova blast. Some astronomers now believe that the sudden dimming could be a pre-supernova event.

'In the cosmic scale, Betelgeuse is relatively close to Earth at 725 light-years away. The dimming we are now seeing from Earth happened around the year 1300. Scientists can’t be completely sure that the star is ready to go supernova because no one knows what a star does before it goes supernova.

'Astronomers have been able to sample stars around a year away from going supernova, but not within the days or weeks before it happens. Astronomers do admit that the chance of Betelgeuse going supernova anytime soon is small. Typically Betelgeuse goes through a brightness cycle that lasts about 420 days.'

Latest Threads