The Skirl o The Pipes - A Guilty Sin?

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by postman_twit, Jan 22, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As a proud Englishman, should I feel guilty enjoying listening to them? :?

PS: If I'd wanted to turn this into an Ethnic slagfest I would have phrased the question 'Can anyone but a skirt wearing, Irn Brew drinking Porridge Wog truly appreciate the Pipes?' :twisted:

P-T

2. You are granted permission, but im still telling on you ! :wink:

Ps - cant stand porridge :x

3. Not at all - its good to have some cultured music to listen to rather than that rap shit which is rapidly becoming Englands music of choice!

4. Make and model please. The Micks and Northumbrians have 'pipes' as well don't ye know.

5. Just checked, it's a medley of varicose Scottish Military bands. The CD is only 10 years old and by my reckoning just one of the Regimental Bands hasn't been amalgamated or dis-banded!

Up the First Battallion of the Generic Scottish Regiment!

Doesn't have quite the same ring to it does it?

P-T

6. Yep my bad! - you're absolutely right was lucky enough to be at a unit up north (Y-I) with its own pipes and drums and the English people in the unit loved it to - just hate rap pish

7. The Drums & Pipes of The 1st Bn The Gordon Highlanders can be bought in HMV etc - stirring stuff....

8. Yep, being marched onto the square to anything from Snoop Doggy Dog, just wouldn't have the same effect upon morale as 'Scotland the Brave' or 'Highland Laddie'.

9. I'm from Northumbria and prefer the pipes from over the border. Mum's family coming originally from North Northumbria (Edwin's Burgh) have a tradition of pipe-playing. Organised a piper from the Tyneside Scottish when Grandad went, as he used to be in in WW2, most emotive music ever.

When they really skirl the hair goes up on the back of the neck and you can understand how the Jocks would follow the pipes into hell and back, shagging the Devil and his wife on the way.
    Magnificent instrument, wish I had learned but dad refused to let me practice in the house. But he got a pipe send-off as well.

By the way the Celts in Galicia (N/W Spain) also play the pipes, similar to the Northumbrian ones, and I believe in Britanny too.

I want to get hold of some pipe CDs any recommendations?

10. Are you really a dwarf?

11. '...and next at the Edinburgh tattoo, we have the Band of the First battalion the South Central Fusilers performing a medley of 'Gin n Juice', 'Niggaz n Bitches' and 'Doggy Dogg World' all traditional marching songs sung by soldiers in Wellingtons Peninsula campaign...'

12. Oh come on, don't mince your words; it's not a guilty sin, but a true and honest guilty pleasure!

13. Yep. Legs reach the ground on a good day. I had to go under the six-foot wall and not over.

Best mate is six-three, reckons I am useful in pubs as he can rest his beer glass on my nut.

Doesn't stop me liking the pipes though, Englishman that I am.

14. Varicose Scottish Bands - Brilliant!

15. mwl946

mwl946 LE Good Egg (charities)

I defy anyone, regardless of nationality, not to be moved by "Highland Cathedral" played on the Pipes and accompanied by a military band.

Hairs on the back of the neck prickle and a lump rises in the throat..................