The Skirl o The Pipes - A Guilty Sin?

#1
As a proud Englishman, should I feel guilty enjoying listening to them? :?

PS: If I'd wanted to turn this into an Ethnic slagfest I would have phrased the question 'Can anyone but a skirt wearing, Irn Brew drinking Porridge Wog truly appreciate the Pipes?' :twisted:

P-T
 
#3
Not at all - its good to have some cultured music to listen to rather than that rap shit which is rapidly becoming Englands music of choice!
 
#4
Make and model please. The Micks and Northumbrians have 'pipes' as well don't ye know.
 
#5
Just checked, it's a medley of varicose Scottish Military bands. The CD is only 10 years old and by my reckoning just one of the Regimental Bands hasn't been amalgamated or dis-banded!

Up the First Battallion of the Generic Scottish Regiment!

Doesn't have quite the same ring to it does it?

P-T
 
#6
Yep my bad! - you're absolutely right was lucky enough to be at a unit up north (Y-I) with its own pipes and drums and the English people in the unit loved it to - just hate rap pish
 
B

Biscuits_AB

Guest
#8
headgear said:
Yep my bad! - you're absolutely right was lucky enough to be at a unit up north (Y-I) with its own pipes and drums and the English people in the unit loved it to - just hate rap pish
Yep, being marched onto the square to anything from Snoop Doggy Dog, just wouldn't have the same effect upon morale as 'Scotland the Brave' or 'Highland Laddie'.
 
#9
I'm from Northumbria and prefer the pipes from over the border. Mum's family coming originally from North Northumbria (Edwin's Burgh) have a tradition of pipe-playing. Organised a piper from the Tyneside Scottish when Grandad went, as he used to be in in WW2, most emotive music ever.

When they really skirl the hair goes up on the back of the neck and you can understand how the Jocks would follow the pipes into hell and back, shagging the Devil and his wife on the way.
Magnificent instrument, wish I had learned but dad refused to let me practice in the house. But he got a pipe send-off as well.

By the way the Celts in Galicia (N/W Spain) also play the pipes, similar to the Northumbrian ones, and I believe in Britanny too.

I want to get hold of some pipe CDs any recommendations?
 
#11
Biscuits_AB said:
headgear said:
Yep my bad! - you're absolutely right was lucky enough to be at a unit up north (Y-I) with its own pipes and drums and the English people in the unit loved it to - just hate rap pish
Yep, being marched onto the square to anything from Snoop Doggy Dog, just wouldn't have the same effect upon morale as 'Scotland the Brave' or 'Highland Laddie'.
'...and next at the Edinburgh tattoo, we have the Band of the First battalion the South Central Fusilers performing a medley of 'Gin n Juice', 'Niggaz n Bitches' and 'Doggy Dogg World' all traditional marching songs sung by soldiers in Wellingtons Peninsula campaign...'
 
#13
Biscuits_AB said:
Are you really a dwarf?
Yep. Legs reach the ground on a good day. I had to go under the six-foot wall and not over.

Best mate is six-three, reckons I am useful in pubs as he can rest his beer glass on my nut.

Doesn't stop me liking the pipes though, Englishman that I am.
 
#14
postman_twit said:
Just checked, it's a medley of varicose Scottish Military bands. The CD is only 10 years old and by my reckoning just one of the Regimental Bands hasn't been amalgamated or dis-banded!

Up the First Battallion of the Generic Scottish Regiment!

Doesn't have quite the same ring to it does it?

P-T
Varicose Scottish Bands - Brilliant!
 
#15
I defy anyone, regardless of nationality, not to be moved by "Highland Cathedral" played on the Pipes and accompanied by a military band.

Hairs on the back of the neck prickle and a lump rises in the throat..................
 
#16
mwl946 said:
I defy anyone, regardless of nationality, not to be moved by "Highland Cathedral" played on the Pipes and accompanied by a military band.

Hairs on the back of the neck prickle and a lump rises in the throat..................
You can't beat the sound of the pipes. Both my parents are jocks (although i'm London born and bred) so i suppose it's in the blood.
 
#17
There was a pipe band at AAC Chepstow and I thoroughly enjoyed marching to the sound of the pipes. Yes, I am English and proud of it.
 
#18
blackrat_scaleyback said:
mwl946 said:
I defy anyone, regardless of nationality, not to be moved by "Highland Cathedral" played on the Pipes and accompanied by a military band.

Hairs on the back of the neck prickle and a lump rises in the throat..................
You can't beat the sound of the pipes. Both my parents are jocks (although i'm London born and bred) so i suppose it's in the blood.
I'm a Londoner, parents Irish, but a number of years in the Jock Guards means I get the chills every time I hear the pipes. The Crags of Tumbledown by our Pipe Major, Jimmy Riddell can reduce me to a blubbering heap :cry: :cry: .

Mrs PMU is from the land of the bonny purple heather and hates the sound?

Whooda Thunkit! :?
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Multinational HQ 0
Lairdx Classified Ads 17
AubreyGerrard The NAAFI Bar 6

Similar threads

Latest Threads