The six-month tour in Afghanistan by the men of 19 L Brigade

Memorial service for Afghanistan
The six-month tour of duty in Afghanistan by the men of 19 Light Brigade will be remembered later

It claimed the lives of more than 80 soldiers in one of the hardest fight the British Army encountered in Helmand province, their commanding officer has claimed.

As more than 500 serving personnel and guests prepared to attend a special memorial and thanksgiving service in Belfast, Brigadier Tim Radford declared: "The fighting was truly ferocious, but the determination and resolve of my soldiers never wavered."

The names of the 83 soldiers who were killed are due to be read out at St Anne's Church of Ireland Cathedral later.

Brigadier Radford, who will also lay a wreath, spoke of the courage of his men during the summer offensive, Operation Panther's Claw, when they cleared one of Helmand's most heavily populated areas of Taliban influence.

He said: "For five tough weeks they fought a resurgent Taliban in the very harshest of conditions and they defeated them at every turn. The result was that one of the most populated areas in Helmand was brought back under Government control, allowing reconstruction and development to begin just hours after the fighting ceased."

He added: "The interests of the Afghan people were at the very heart of every decision we made. Despite the intense fighting there were very few civilian casualties; a testament to the great measure and judgment shown by every one of my soldiers."
Links
http://itn.co.uk/90b5262b057e249f6182c173198b8ad7.html

From the link:

The result was that one of the most populated areas in Helmand was brought back under Government control, allowing reconstruction and development to begin just hours after the fighting ceased."
Reconstruction and development is virtually unreported, is there much actually happening?

LAIT said:
StickyEnd said:
Reconstruction and development is virtually unreported, is there much actually happening?
Yes, a surprising amount in some areas - particularly in SGN. Problem is, the ignorant expect fully functioning schools, bazaars, DCs and so on within minutes of the CLEAR - life isn't like that unfortunately. It's going to take time to sort out the BJI area but once the local people have grasped the idea, progress can be rapid.
Cheers. Got any links? I have not been since 2002. Aid was looking pretty bleak back then. Col. Tootals complaints made it look no better.

RP578

LE
Book Reviewer
StickyEnd said:
Cheers. Got any links? I have not been since 2002. Aid was looking pretty bleak back then. Col. Tootals complaints made it look no better.
This is what was happening in Lashkar Gah apparently:

http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/DefenceNews/DefencePolicyAndBusiness/ReconstructingLashkarGah.htm]MOD article[/url]

Also worth checking out the Helmand Blog archive. Look at November or October blog, our CO Lt Col Thompson gave a neat summary of what we had achieved in the Sangin area over the summer. Reconstruction and civil affairs that from my grunts-eye view I had no idea had been going on.

RP578 said:
StickyEnd said:

http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/DefenceNews/DefencePolicyAndBusiness/ReconstructingLashkarGah.htm]MOD article[/url]

Also worth checking out the Helmand Blog archive. Look at November or October blog, our CO Lt Col Thompson gave a neat summary of what we had achieved in the Sangin area over the summer. Reconstruction and civil affairs that from my grunts-eye view I had no idea had been going on.

This is the link

Click

Whet said:
RP578 said:
StickyEnd said:

This is the link

Click
Thanks guys. I didn't see much in the way of aid arriving to be honest. Particularly considering the size of the international aid budget. That is not a dig at you people BTW.

Latest Threads