The sit-ups in ADSC..?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by Mordelly, Apr 22, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Are we expected to do them with our feet just flat on the ground, or with someone holding them/tucked under a sit-up bar?

2. Wah!

You don't do sit ups at ADSC. At ADSC you do the jerry can walk, heaves and 1.5 run.

3. Fair enough. I read somewhere about having to do a minimum 50 sit-ups and 40 or so press-ups is all.

4. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it only Officers that do sit-ups/press-ups at ADSC?

5. Yep, that's correct Dizzee.

6. You don't do situps at ADSC, just heaves, a back extension test, a test where you stand in a squat position and pull on a rope and then a clean and jerk type test where you lift 55kg up to 1.54m. You also then carry 2 jerry cans weighing 20kg each 150m and also do heaves like Animal_Mother said. Then on day 2 you do a 1.5 mile run, these are the only physical activites you are tested on at ADSC other than the command tasks.

7. You'll be knackered by the start of day 2 I'm sure ;)

8. Obviously i havnt been assured that im going on selection yet, so havnt been given the low down about everything, but ive been working on the situps and press ups, never mind if i dont have to do them, has been a good workout fitting a few of them in to be fair.

9. serious?!? no push ups or sit ups?
    oh well, no doubt you will have to beable to do push ups in basic training..."drop and give me 50" might be a regular request. hehe

10. or 'heave' singular as some of our candidates managed!! sad, very sad!!

11. by heave im assuming you mean chin ups?

12. yep

13. Thanks alot Rugby Mad, that's just the kind of answer I was looking for. :D

Only test there which has me a bit weary is the 55kg one as I only weight about 60kg at the.. heaviest of times so I'll just have to give it my best.

14. Well they are called 'heaves' because you don't use a 'chin up' bar, not one of those nice little metal bars you can get your hands round and grip, its the two separating wall bars everyone had in the school gym so its a 'plank' of wood, 10cm wide 15cm deep, curved top, you hold on with your fingers and hands not fists clenched, its more of a 'heave' than a chin up!

Well thats the guidelines for us, unless other units are soft and use 'girly bars'??