Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Singapore Grip

to be read by Guardian readers who couldn't bring themselves to read Flashman I thought.
Indeed the great Sir Harry describes his adventures in Singapore in the 19th Century and all the significant characters he meets in the sixth volume of his memoirs edited by GMF:

51If5pNNwOL.jpg

KnockKnock

On ROPS
On ROPs
Does this mean there won't be a clip from Bugis Street showing all the pretty 'ladies' and 'military personnel' doing the dance of the flaming arrse-holes on the pill-box/loo roof?
When we went to visit Singapore in 2006 that whole area was quite different to what it was when I was there on leave in 1956. The streets in 1956 beyond the Cathy building were strictly no go, apart from guys who wanted a tattoo or to sample other dubious delights.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
According to the Beeb website, despite Farrell being woke avant la lettre he still got caned for not including enough people of a non-Caucasoid race in The Siege of Krishnapur, so he felt duty bound to include a few more in The Singapore Grip, which was nice of him.

I read both of the two earlier books in the trilogy (I remember ordering TSG from Amazon way back in the very early days in 1998 but can't recall receiving it) and while they were easy enough reads full of stock characters (many of whom seemed to appear in both books) I was not overwhelmed by any great sense of literary achievement, historical novels of Empire to be read by Guardian readers who couldn't bring themselves to read Flashman I thought.
I was browsing the BBC Website and this jumped out at me. I must thank the Beeb for advertising this as I probably would have missed it, the headlines are just, well if the snowflakes are that upset by it then it may well be worth a watch.

When we went to visit Singapore in 2006 that whole area was quite different to what it was when I was there on leave in 1956. The streets in 1956 beyond the Cathy building were strictly no go, apart from guys who wanted a tattoo or to sample other dubious delights.

Who'd have thought that in a rich, technologically-advanced countrythings could change in a mere 50 years!:rolleyes:

Was looking forward to this,watched first episode last night,thought it was dreadful production.

Yep, utter shite...

Think of the classic and they'd pi55 all over it.

The title of the series comes from some silly middle class tw@t trying to be controversial......

Our funny dressed, funny barnet, black man called Shabba had a song out in the 90'a called 'Muscle Grip' ... Sampled from and earth, Wind and Fire song Reasons, for all you pop pickers, not 'arf :)

Same premise...i.e it was about a women keeping her fanny muscles tight cos it didn't matter how pretty she was , or her other qualities, if it was too loose, the man would feck off .

Nice. :)

Yep, utter shite...

The title of the series comes from some silly middle class tw@t trying to be controversial......

Our funny dressed, funny barnet, black man called Shabba had a song out in the 90'a called 'Muscle Grip' ... Sampled from and earth, Wind and Fire song Reasons, for all you pop pickers, not 'arf :)

Same premise...i.e it was about a women keeping her fanny muscles tight cos it didn't matter how pretty she was , or her other qualities, if it was too loose, the man would feck off .

Agreed; if you didn't know the history of the war in SE Asia, you'd be no wiser after last night's effort, with the fleeting mention of 'launching MATADOR' the only way you'd know that the Japanese had invaded. I know the conflict only provides a backdrop for the 'drama', but bloody hell that was poor, with a series of short, unconnected and frankly unbelievable scenes interspersed with a caddish, climbing father and his scheming daughter.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Was looking forward to this,watched first episode last night,thought it was dreadful production.
Absolutel,y, it was one of those evenings where I wished I was drinking again so I could have at least enjoyed a fruity Rioja whilst trying to work out why I was watching it. Oh well.

We’ve got it on Sky+ for later, but I’m not feeling the love! :smile:

Chef

LE
I was browsing the BBC Website and this jumped out at me. I must thank the Beeb for advertising this as I probably would have missed it, the headlines are just, well if the snowflakes are that upset by it then it may well be worth a watch.

I like this quote in particular;

' "The other Asian characters are merely heavily accented ciphers, silent chauffeurs, exotic dancers, giggly prostitutes, monosyllabic grunts and half-naked Yogis," the organisation continued.'

How unlike the portrayal of white men on TV as thick, racist incompetents, chiz chiz usually bailed out by gurlies who are all uterrly beautiful, inteligent and winners of the Mrs Joyful prize for raffia.

i diskard them all.

Yep, utter shite...

It’s not a great adaptation but the title of the book is the title of the (allegedly) satirical novel on which it’s based, which dates from the late 70s. It’s not a modern writer trying to be controversial.

This adaption hasn’t had good reviews from anyone, whatever political persuasion their employer is.

KnockKnock

On ROPS
On ROPs
Just where were the location shots taken? That ride in the open car through the 'chinese' area, with so much electric light in every open building. Even in 1956, I found lit up shops/restaurants and cinemas to that level were only in the main town area of Singapore

Last edited:

Latest Threads