Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Shortest History of Germany

HE117

LE
Not exactly sure where to put this, however I think this new book by James Hawes (ISBN 978-1-91040-073-9) touches on such a wide range of subjects and areas of interest that it is best put here..

For all you cold war warriors and watchers of the European scene, this little book is an excellent tutorial in understanding what Germany is and what makes the Germans tick. The book seeks to place the German nation (..whatever that is) in context by tracing its various twists and turns from the meddling and influence of Julius Caeser to Angela Merkal with all the usual bit players in between. It covers in a very easy to understand way, much of European history that simply does not feature in UK education.

We see the constant ebb and flow of power groupings between the Rhine and the Elbe with the influence of Merchants, Warriors and the Church moulding and shaping central Europe between the Russian and Mongol hoards on one side, and us lot on the other. It has certainly made my understanding of what triggered WW1 much clearer!

I have to say I have had more AhHa! moments reading this little tome than I have had since reading "The Joy of Sex" in the days of the Dinosaur..!

My only complaint is that some of the illustrations (Yes It Has Pictures!) are poorly reproduced, with some of the printing on the maps hard to read.. Apart from this - get it and read it - Yes, it can be interpreted as over simplification and overly opinionated, however it does make a good fist of a horribly complex subject!

Last edited:
To be fair the Joy Of Sex did sometimes make a good fist of it's subject

Not exactly sure where to put this, however I think this new book by James Hawes (ISBN 978-1-91040-073-9) touches on such a wide range of subjects and areas of interest that it is best put here..

For all you cold war warriors and watchers of the European scene, this little book is an excellent tutorial in understanding what Germany is and what makes the Germans tick. The book seeks to place the German nation (..whatever that is) in context by tracing its various twists and turns from the meddling and influence of Julius Caeser to Angela Merkal with all the usual bit players in between. It covers in a very easy to understand way, much of European history that simply does not feature in UK education.

We see the constant ebb and flow of power groupings between the Rhine and the Elbe with the influence of Merchants, Warriors and the Church moulding and shaping central Europe between the Russian and Mongol hoards on one side, and us lot on the other. It has certainly made my understanding of what triggered WW1 much clearer!

I have to say I have had more AhHa! moments reading this little tome than I have had since reading "The Joy of Sex" in the days of the Dinosaur..!

My only complaint is that some of the illustrations (Yes It Has Pictures!) are poorly reproduced, with some of the printing on the maps hard to read.. Apart from this - get it and read it - Yes, it can be interpreted as over simplification and overly opinionated, however it does make a good fist of a horribly complex subject!

You mean this one? Amazon product

ugly

LE
this little book is an excellent tutorial in understanding what Germany is and what makes the Germans tick.
I found this to be a good companion:
41Met4X0ZZL._SX310_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

If only it was available when I was a cold war warrior

ugly

LE
Actually the xenophobes guides are hilarious.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer

load_fin

War Hero
[QUOTE="HE117 reviewed a book[/QUOTE]
Thoroughly agree. I bought in an airport, on the way round Germany. Started reading on the plane, and finished in the quiet moments of that trip.
I see my German colleagues from the East in a different light now.

Thoroughly recommended to anyone with an interest in the history of Europe.

There's another one in the series "The shortest history of Europe". Again, bought in the airport at the start of thus trip (I'm in China), but haven't started it yet. I did, however, read up on the Opium Wars before I set off..

Should I take this mocking of my heritage personally?

Actually the xenophobes guides are hilarious.

The Bluffers Guides are a good read too. I know one individual who based his whole post university career on the Bluffers Guide's to Consulting & Management.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer

I have a book on the go downstairs called iirc (I've just mopped the floor and it's drying) Blitzkrieg Unleashed.

Amazon product
Prussia, seen as a major part of what is Germany, lies between the Elbe and Danzig and has been fought over by Germans and Poles as their heartland forever. I think it was Guderian whose division liberated his ancestral home right up until his own living memory in September 1939.

ugly

LE

The Bluffers Guides are a good read too. I know one individual who based his whole post university career on the Bluffers Guide's to Consulting & Management.
I have that, when I started I couldn't afford the multi pocketed tweed suit recommended

HE117

LE

... Only one?

I managed a whole university teaching career on "Teach yourself CP/M" and "Serve to Lead"!

... Only one?

I managed a whole university teaching career on "Teach yourself CP/M" and "Serve to Lead"!

My supervisor when I was doing my research studentship had a professional expresso machine in his office and I used to go have a cup every couple of days. One day I think he had been at the weed as well as the coffee because he admitted the stupendous bit of research and paper he published which resulted in his professorship was jammy luck. He used AI to detect and identify cancer clusters in areas of the UK. He did not write or discover the marvelous piece of software he used for this - remember those free software discs you got on the front of PC magazines? He found the software on one of those, then built a whole career on it.

Chef

LE

I loaned 'The bluffer's guide to Paris' to a mate when they went for a long weekend, he said it was genuinely helpful.

I guess you have to know a subject really well to write a good spoof about it.

I see my German colleagues from the East in a different light now.
During my brief stay in 2011/12 they were still being viewed as different by their colleagues in the West. I wonder how long that will take out die out.

My only complaint is that some of the illustrations (Yes It Has Pictures!) are poorly reproduced, with some of the printing on the maps hard to read.. Apart from this - get it and read it - Yes, it can be interpreted as oversimplification and overly opinionated, however it does make a good fist of a horribly complex subject!
Does it address the Austro-Hungarian Empire's impact, because I remember reading a lot about Bismark many years ago and it was clear his first objective was to make Prussia the dominate German state in place of Austria. This was the 'must do' job, before any unification of Germany would be worthwhile.

Latest Threads