The Shilling

When I signed on the dotted line, the Queen's Shilling just consisted of an extra 5p on my first pay cheque (which would buy a half pint of Trophy in the NAAFI). I've always thought that was a bit disappointing.

Wouldn't it be much nicer if they minted a commemorative 5p coin with the Queen's head on the front and the crown & crossed swords on the back?

Just as a matter of interest...what do they get now?

A Queens five pence coin..doesn't have the same ring to it

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
When I signed on the dotted line, the Queen's Shilling just consisted of an extra 5p on my first pay cheque (which would buy a half pint of Trophy in the NAAFI). I've always thought that was a bit disappointing.

Wouldn't it be much nicer if they minted a commemorative 5p coin with the Queen's head on the front and the crown & crossed swords on the back?

I think there should be a medal.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer

CanteenCowboy

LE
Book Reviewer
I think I got about £12.50 something IIRC (that being a days pay for grade 4 low life then), which we warned not to spend on alcohol and high jinks.........

D

Davetheclown

didnt understand the concept of the Queens Shilling,

got a tenner at the career office after attestation. Had to go back and pick up a rail warrant, gave the tenner back to the Staffy, he pissed himself, I thought he lent it to me so I could get a taxi home. So brought it back with me.

In my family tradition is we get a tankard with a shilling in a glass bit at the bottom. Been looking for it to take a photo. but cant find it damn!

How much bling shite do we need to hoard ffs.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
I think I got about £12.50 something IIRC (that being a days pay for grade 4 low life then), which we warned not to spend on alcohol and high jinks.........
Good advice - high jinks were always a waste of money.

My taste at that time didn't really go much beyond El Dorado (think buckfast, but classier) and McEwan's Export.......
I'm struggling with the concept of classier Buckfast (and this from a chap who served at Glencorse).

CanteenCowboy

LE
Book Reviewer
I'm struggling with the concept of classier Buckfast (and this from a chap who served at Glencorse).
The bottle and specifically the label, looked a lot classier, all white and gold writing, and the name 'El Dorado' just oozed class to my young mind. Still tasted absolutely minging though, like over sweet grape juice mixed with petrol and spanish toenails......

The bottle and specifically the label, looked a lot classier, all white and gold writing, and the name 'El Dorado' just oozed class to my young mind. Still tasted absolutely minging though, like over sweet grape juice mixed with petrol and spanish toenails......
The recipe is meant to be a secret and now you've gone and blown it.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
tartanterrier39 The Training Wing 19
Bugsy Military History and Militaria 11
handysnaks Aviation 4