The Shetland Airlift - Sponsored by Tesco!

Tesco airlifts supplies to restock Shetland shelves.

A retailer is planning to airlift supplies of food to Shetland because the usual ferries and freight boats have been disrupted by the weather.

There have been no sailings to or from the islands for two days due to strong winds and high seas.

Operator Serco Northlink has said it is unlikely anything will now move until Christmas Eve at the earliest.

Tesco said islanders had stripped shelves bare of produce. The firm has chartered a plane to help restock.

The Hercules transporter will fly from Norway to Edinburgh. It will be packed with food overnight and flown to Shetland early on Saturday morning.

The supermarket retailer said it planned to run two supply flights on Saturday and and two more on Sunday. They are due arrive in the islands at 11:00 and 15:30.
BBC News - Tesco airlifts supplies to restock Shetland shelves

Thank fuck for that ... I thought we wouldn't be having sprouts with our Christmas dinner.

How many cans of chicken supreme will fit in a Herc? Value chicken supreme, that is...

Should keep you going for a month or two.

We have a turkey, potatoes, sausage meat and stuffing mix.

What we don't have is veg! It was like a plague of locusts had swept through Tescos yesterday and just for a moment I thought the Mayans might have been right.

You should be grateful that they're not being delivered by submarine. Fuck knows where they'd end up.

Can't wait for the MoD_RSS feed on this...

Bollocks, surely? There are eastern airways flights in and out of the place most days.

If you are still struggling I'll bring you a bag of tatties from the rig when I pass through sometime round about after boxing day.

Bollocks, surely? There are eastern airways flights in and out of the place most days.

If you are still struggling I'll bring you a bag of tatties from the rig when I pass through sometime round about after boxing day.
I have spuds mate. Brussels is what I need. And parsnips.

That'll overcome his absence of veg on Xmas Day...

I have spuds mate. Brussels is what I need. And parsnips.
No problem buddy, leave it with me I'll see what I can sort out for you.

In fact could I be necky and ask you to keep me a seat? Im due off on xmass eve but I reckon we'll get stuck in the Shetlands.

Did I say one seat, I meant 12. Cheers mukka, obvioulsy we'll bring all the veg.

No problem buddy, leave it with me I'll see what I can sort out for you.

In fact could I be necky and ask you to keep me a seat? Im due off on xmass eve but I reckon we'll get stuck in the Shetlands.

Did I say one seat, I meant 12. Cheers mukka, obvioulsy we'll bring all the veg.
The last time a riggie offered me his veg he failed to mention the meat ... sore for a week I was.

The last time a riggie offered me his veg he failed to mention the meat ... sore for a week I was.
Sorry pal, didn't realise we had already met.

Right I'm off to work I'll let the lads know Ive got a table booked in for us on xmass day, cheers mate you're the best :)

When I agreed to visit the Shetland Isles at the end of January, I didn't appreciate just what an adventure it could turn out to be! My initial concern was of having the correct gear to keep warm and dry. Now it's "will I get home?!" :lol:

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

Attachments

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
When I agreed to visit the Shetland Isles at the end of January, I didn't appreciate just what an adventure it could turn out to be! My initial concern was of having the correct gear to keep warm and dry. Now it's "will I get home?!" :lol:
Must admit, one of our reasons for moving South from Orkney was number of occasions we'd get stuck either on Island when wanted off or or Mainland when needed back! Doesn't happen that often, more usually around equinox gales but happens in winter too.