The Sherwood Foresters 1947-53

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by carlbcfc, Sep 23, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I read an article which seems to be written by my Grandads old mate, George "Chalky" White

Tried forces reunited but there are a few George White's and does not confirm if he is alive. Any ideas?

My Grandad died yesterday aged 80, and was a Sherwood Forester.

Reading through his service book, where it says he served are the words, BAOR and MELF. Where were these? I know he was all over the middle east.
  2. May he rest in peace.
  3. Thank you, ill give that a bell. He wanted to get in contact with his old Army pals, now it is too late, I suppose I better ask if they want to pay their last respects.
  4. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

BAOR: British Army of the Rhine.
    MELF: Middle East Land Forces.
  5. My Dad died in 2000, aged 81. He was a Forester too, 2/5th Bn at Normanton Bks, Derby & then at Folkestone from 1941-42. In 1942 the Bn was embarked for North Africa as part of 1st Army for the Operation Torch landings; my Dad didn't go because as a result of his embarkation medical he was medically downgraded (he'd been blind in one eye since birth, but it was never picked up at his enlistment medical) & transferred to the Royal Signals.
    As a Scaley he served in West Africa (now called The Gambia), Antwerp at the time of the Ardennes Offensive, & finally in the advance through Northern Germany. He wasn't discharged from the Army until 1946, after serving in Signals Security units in Minden & Bad Oeynhausen, which was then HQ BAOR.
    I often reflect (in a selfish way, I suppose) that it was a good thing he was medically downgraded, otherwise I might not have been around; a lot of his mates are named on the Foresters memorial at Monte Cassino, & he knew a few 2nd Bn lads who became POWs when the Singapore garrison surrendered in 1942.
    It's nice to see someone else on this means with 45th & 95th of Foot running through their family, drop us a pm if you want to discuss more.

6. [​IMG]

This was where my Grandad spent his time serving. I only got hold of this book the other day, after his death. He left to take a job at what was the Rover Longbridge plant, I think, BMC at the time.

My Grandad being a Sherwood Forester, is the reason why im here,
    he met my Nan at Nottingham Station on his way home. His nickname was "Lofty", he joined at 18 at a height of 6'2 1/2"...and left 6" taller.

BDS, thank you for that. It is nice to know it means so much to other people too. I wanted to find out more and more but these last few months he has been in and out of hospital. I just wish I had done it sooner.
  7. Carl,
    Will pm you tomorrow with other info you might find useful in your research.

8. Thnak you.
  9. Do any forum members know where I can obtain info on the sherwood forestes serving in the first world war??
  10. Here is a start for the WW1 Battalions.

11. Thanks, just had a search on site but I could not find much, but an interesting read anyway.
  12. Try The Long Trail for an overview. Beyond that, you will probably need to narrow the search down to a specific battalion to get useful detail.