The Sherwood Foresters 1947-53

I read an article which seems to be written by my Grandads old mate, George "Chalky" White

LINK

Tried forces reunited but there are a few George White's and does not confirm if he is alive. Any ideas?

My Grandad died yesterday aged 80, and was a Sherwood Forester.

Reading through his service book, where it says he served are the words, BAOR and MELF. Where were these? I know he was all over the middle east.

Thank you, ill give that a bell. He wanted to get in contact with his old Army pals, now it is too late, I suppose I better ask if they want to pay their last respects.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
carlbcfc said:
I read an article which seems to be written by my Grandads old mate, George "Chalky" White

LINK

Tried forces reunited but there are a few George White's and does not confirm if he is alive. Any ideas?

My Grandad died yesterday aged 80, and was a Sherwood Forester.

Reading through his service book, where it says he served are the words, BAOR and MELF. Where were these? I know he was all over the middle east.
BAOR: British Army of the Rhine.
MELF: Middle East Land Forces.

My Dad died in 2000, aged 81. He was a Forester too, 2/5th Bn at Normanton Bks, Derby & then at Folkestone from 1941-42. In 1942 the Bn was embarked for North Africa as part of 1st Army for the Operation Torch landings; my Dad didn't go because as a result of his embarkation medical he was medically downgraded (he'd been blind in one eye since birth, but it was never picked up at his enlistment medical) & transferred to the Royal Signals.
As a Scaley he served in West Africa (now called The Gambia), Antwerp at the time of the Ardennes Offensive, & finally in the advance through Northern Germany. He wasn't discharged from the Army until 1946, after serving in Signals Security units in Minden & Bad Oeynhausen, which was then HQ BAOR.
I often reflect (in a selfish way, I suppose) that it was a good thing he was medically downgraded, otherwise I might not have been around; a lot of his mates are named on the Foresters memorial at Monte Cassino, & he knew a few 2nd Bn lads who became POWs when the Singapore garrison surrendered in 1942.
It's nice to see someone else on this means with 45th & 95th of Foot running through their family, drop us a pm if you want to discuss more.

B_D_S

This was where my Grandad spent his time serving. I only got hold of this book the other day, after his death. He left to take a job at what was the Rover Longbridge plant, I think, BMC at the time.

My Grandad being a Sherwood Forester, is the reason why im here,
he met my Nan at Nottingham Station on his way home. His nickname was "Lofty", he joined at 18 at a height of 6'2 1/2"...and left 6" taller.

BDS, thank you for that. It is nice to know it means so much to other people too. I wanted to find out more and more but these last few months he has been in and out of hospital. I just wish I had done it sooner.

Carl,
Will pm you tomorrow with other info you might find useful in your research.

B_D_S

Do any forum members know where I can obtain info on the sherwood forestes serving in the first world war??

SUNRAY_MINOR said:
Here is a start for the WW1 Battalions.

LINKY HERE
Thanks, just had a search on site but I could not find much, but an interesting read anyway.