The Shadow Cabinet

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Auld-Yin, Oct 8, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Just announced

BBC News - Ex-Home Secretary Johnson is named shadow chancellor

Jim Murphy becomes Shadow Defence Minister - quite a competent guy and one of the few Labour MPs that I have any trust in. It will be interesting to see what he has to say in the next couple of weeks leading up to SDSR announcements.
  2. Something along the lines of 'there is no need for cuts at all' I'd guess. Not wise to go against the party line so soon after getting a position.
  3. Is that what the party line is? Labour advocate no cuts?

4. Excellent, we have at last a competant charismatic statesman who will, although in opposition, hold a commanding and forceful presence on the world stage . . .

Ladies & Gentlemen, the New Shadow Foreign Secretary . . . . Yvette the Elf

Oh! And Ballsy Ed is the Shadow Home Secretary.

When they get together, will their colleagues refer to them as . . 'Home & Away'?
  5. It is also worth noting, as Guido did, that the comrades have voted for a rather white, heterosexual middle-class shadow cabinet which is just as white, heterosexual and middle-class as the real cabinet.

Does that make them all racist, homophobic class traitors for passing over Diane Abbott and the various gentleman's gentlemen on offer?
  6. I have to admit, as someone who never has and quite likely never will vote for Labour, that Alan Johnson could be quite dangerous for the coalition. He's one of the very few of the Labour elite who actually seems to have the common touch and be (relatively) reasonable, what his economic knowledge is I don't know. I suspect he's getting his reward for not rocking the boat under Brown - Edouard le Rouge is banking that he won't be challenged for the leadership, at least not by his Shadow Chancellor anyway.
  7. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

Peter Hain gets the Welsh portfolio (quelle suprise - despite the fact that he wasn't elected to the shadow cabinet as the rules require)
  8. The Labour leader gets 5 free picks to the Shadow Cabinet. Hain as one, which seems fair reward for running RedEd's campaign.

Alan Johnson as Shadow Chancellor is interesting. As mentioned above, it looks like Labour's strategy will be to accep the need for some cuts, but argue for greater fairness. Effectively they needto out fair the coalition. Could be difficult after a week in whic the Tories have taken child benefit away from their supporters and introduced a welfare cap to take on 'scroungers' (thereby securing both flanks).

Also Johnson knows nothing about economics and the most important spending review for a decade takes place in just under a fortnight. his number two, Angela Eagle, is pretty darn mediocre.
  9. My bold

I would be interested in knowing what Osbornes qualifications in Economics are
  10. About the same as Browns WAS.
    Being an MP/minister is one of the only job in the UK you don't need qualifications for

11. With all the LimpDem behind him, I thought you'd not be worried?
  12. Indeed, but Cables experience? Alexanders education
  13. Coalition is all about compromise and the Lib Dems have, in my opinion, have been compromised.
  14. A crying shame . . No honest Mister it really is, I'm all welling up like . . .

So your party has been compromised by their own making? Perhaps you should direct your bile at Clegg?
  15. They got into bed with the right thinking they could control them. They are learning different to their cost