The selling of the 4 Type 22Cs for scrap

Discussion in 'Royal Navy' started by Jeneral28, Jul 27, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. No opinion of your own?

2. Bit of a one sided argument. Training,spare parts and repairs are all doable with money and the right attitude. True if they are knackered they are of no use, however these ships still had a good few years in them and were versatile.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Yes, there was.

4. Bad time to sell and costly to keep support infrastructure going purely for sales purposes. Once binned we like to get rid of stuff ASAP and forget about it. Rightly so as well.

5. "Bit of a one sided argument. Training,spare parts and repairs are all doable with money and the right attitude. True if they are knackered they are of no use, however these ships still had a good few years in them and were versatile."

As the author of the piece, the point was more that if the money no longer exists (which it didnt thanks to SDSR) then there was little else that could be done. The ships had about 5-8 years left on the clock, and while useful were increasingly expensive to maintain. They are missed, but less so than if we'd lost 4 Type 23s IMHO.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Bad time to sell, and a risky option to keep maintaining them on the off chance that a buyer can be found in the future.

Good ships by all account. Many Matelots I know rate them more than the Type 23s.

7. I was a 22 rating. Then ended up on a 23. I called in a few favours and ensured i got drafted straight back to a 22.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Comparing a 22 to a 23 is like trying to compare a Bently to a Mondeo.

9. Which way round just for personal advancement.

10. 22s were just overmanned yachts.

11. Properly manned rather than lean manned.

12. From the article you state that the MOD received 3M for the ships or 750,000 for 5K tn ish / ship of scrap metal or 150/tn

Just scooted around some scrap metal sites and can not get an immediate comparison and therefore whether this is a good price. I have no idea - maybe it is... Scant return on navy's £1.2bn frigate sale | UK news | The Guardian

Anyone help?

Krom

13. I was offered between 90 to 120 quid per tonne when I phoned around some scrappies last year. I suspect that large quantities of BX plate might be worth a bit more. Dont forget theres several hundred tonnes of CuNi pipework in each hull.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using ARRSE mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  14. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

So what made 22s special in comparison to 23s in your opinion?