The selling of Medals - Right or Wrong? Discuss...

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Bravo2nothing, Sep 21, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Saw this on the ebay thread and I can't help but to pity the guy who needed to do this. Must of had his reasons, obviously financial, but I can't help but to feel what a shame it is for him. My view on medals are that the are earnt, the hard way. They are proof of commitment and sacrifice, not in an idealistic or patriotic manner but in the period of life that the individual had to give up to earn those medals. The things that individual had to endure and see. Let's not kid ourselves, he did some time, Falklands, NI and the First Gulf War.

Has anyone sold their medals, if so what motivated you...I'm not being critical, just trying to understand.ebay
  2. no one should have to sell their medals
    i understand people that have inherted medals from relatives selling them but i will never sell my grandads or my dads
  3. I am sure the said person is very aware of his commitment and sacrifice, and maybe he feels he doesn't need to prove it to himself or others with such material objects.

And don't forget, not everyone is proud of the part they played.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. quite sad really, but a while back i saw a similar thing on ebay but the blokes medals were even more recent!!! NI,Gulf 1 and 2 balkans.makes you wonder why they get rid of them,eh?
  5. I'd guess money. If you have just got out and are on hard times, £500+ for a bunch of shiny things is an attractive offer.

Another collection of gongs, Ebay
  6. Could just be bitterness.
    A few years back, something happened in the media which I can't even remember now. But it so incensed me at the time that I wrote a letter to the Telegraph offering my own medals up, as I was so disgusted over whatever the incident was.
    Thankfully, the Telegraph must get lots of letter from similar loonies everyday, so they didn't publish it. I know I would certainly have regretted such a rash decision, not least because I am still serving and would have got into a lot of trouble come Remembrance Day.
  7. Well, reading the test, the medals are not his. Wonder if they are nicked. If he was in Granby, the original guy must be around still.

The thing that tells me that they are not the original owners medals is the following line;

"UN MEDAL - unmarked - but I suspect it was for service in Cyprus."

Just wondering if anyone around here actually knows 24417362 Millar, or can anyone track him down by his reggy number and let him know his medals are on e-bay and going for £700

8. Just to bring this up to the front of the cue, can anyone help in identifying this guy. PM me if you can.
  10. Many people sell their medals for varying reasons. In the 1920's many servicemen sold their WWI medals to feed their families through the depression, others as they didn't want to be reminded of the horror and depravity they'd experienced in those turbulent years.

I was so p*ssed off after leaving the army I sold my medals to buy alcohol. It cost me a small fortune to get a set of replicas some 18 or so years later. I now proudly where them on remembrance day, ONLY.

My late father's medals were stolen when my mother moved house. I would think that the majority of medals sold on ebay and in other places are from estates of the "passed on" so to speak, where material reminders such as these are no longer important.
  11. I fell on hard times in 98 my medals were the last thing to go.

I got £950 for four court mounted gongs, it was a very low moment but faced with the prospect of no food on the table and bailiffs at the door there really was no alternative.

In the end SSAFS and the RBL waded and bailled me out, and ensured I got a replacement set.

Don't be too quick to judge people who part with them when faced with hard times.

I never understood hard times when in the Army as all my meals were paid for, all my accomodation removed at source. In the big world its very different. Noone really gives a fcuk outside and there enough walts and collecters that will part with good money for a set of shiney tour medals.

Things are very much different now, but in reality if faced with the same scenario again, they would go if it meant feeding the tribe.
  12. I lost mine in a house move some years ago. Maybe someone found them and flogged them? I guess there are all sorts of reasons why these things may be sold.
  13. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I believe there was a few memorial days when WW1 veterns worn their pawn ticket instead of their medals to make a point.
  14. MDN - wasn't casting judgements at all, apologies if it came over like that. As I said, just trying to understand the situation.
  15. I didn't read it as a dig or judgement mate, just relaying my reasons.