So that would boil down ta choice of three systems in each bracket

Heavy
AS90 Upgrade
K9 Thunder
ASCOD/DONAR SPG

Strike
Archer
Caesar
Boxer with DONAR SPG Module or new module.
One of the appeals of the 120mm system is that it doesn't require the same level of logistics as 155mm to keep it resupplied.
155mm shell without charges @45kg (charges vary from 2-11kg depending on type/range etc)
120mm mortar complete @19kg

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Or 3 for both categories

Leaving out PzH2000, M109A7 Etc?
K9 Thunder is where the party is at with regard to new 155mm Tracked SPGs, and we've being poking around the drive Sprockets. AS90 upgrade would be mostly all gun, we tried this already and had some issues with production of the propellant (made in SA), ASCOD, commonality with future fleet, (but fugly too). The PzH2000 & M109A7 don't offer much in comparison to AS90 to be worth it. K9 reduces the crew levels by half and has an excellent FCS.

Caesar and Archer are the top Western wheeled SPGs atm, so that's why them, the Boxer uses the same 155mm module as the ASCOD/DONAR benefits in Fleet commonality with both Chassis in Strike or Gun Turret layout Icross Heavy and Strike, unless of course the new RM/BAE wedding results in a new multiplatfotm DPG inspired by Boxer and the K9

Last edited:
The PzH2000 & M109A7 don't offer much in comparison to AS90 to be worth it.
I come from a Armoured Recce role so not as clued up on Artillery.

Doesn't the PzH2000 share alot with Boxer RCH155? Would this be beneficial if were to split buy them for STRIKE and AI?

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I come from a Armoured Recce role so not as clued up on Artillery.

Doesn't the PzH2000 share alot with Boxer RCH155? Would this be beneficial if were to split buy them for STRIKE and AI?
Gun and possibly fcs, but not sure. Biggest with AS90 is gun calibre, needs to be upped to 52, which we attempted before, and a reduction in crew size, PzH2000 doesn't offer much that AS90 doesn't, the K9 is the one to watch for lots of interest, the platform more than halves crewing requirements, Archer and Caesar carry double the Ammo of Boxer which is a huge plus in their favour, fewer Wagons for the battery to humpf ammo around

Gun and possibly fcs, but not sure. Biggest with AS90 is gun calibre, needs to be upped to 52, which we attempted before, and a reduction in crew size, PzH2000 doesn't offer much that AS90 doesn't, the K9 is the one to watch for lots of interest, the platform more than halves crewing requirements, Archer and Caesar carry double the Ammo of Boxer which is a huge plus in their favour, fewer Wagons for the battery to humpf ammo around
K9 does look very interesting, especially when combined with the K10.

See where you are coming from, Archer/Caesar on a SV does carry alot more potential.

Wouldn't Caesar require 2 wagons anyways as you couldn't get the whole crew in the 1 wagon, unless the Cab was extended? Possibly Archer as the Crew is small and remain protected?

See where you are coming from, Archer/Caesar on a SV does carry alot more potential.

Wouldn't Caesar require 2 wagons anyways as you couldn't get the whole crew in the 1 wagon, unless the Cab was extended? Possibly Archer as the Crew is small and remain protected?
Pictures for them like me, who would like to know what they look like :) . . . .

Comment by: Mattias Lundgren, 5 years ago.

"BAE Systems AB is a Swedish defence company and a subsidiary of BAE Systems Land and Armaments, whose ultimate parent is the British defence contractor BAE Systems. The company is a holding company for 'Land Systems Hägglunds AB' and BAE Systems Bofors AB, and has no products of its own".

Last edited:

Pictures for them like me, who would like to know what they look like :) . . . .

Last edited:

Strike
Archer
Caesar

Heavy
AS90 Upgrade
K9 Thunder
ASCOD/DONAR SPG
Di1OnWCW4AYm_LJ.jpg

1560866536218.png

Heavy
AS90 Upgrade
K9 Thunder
ASCOD/DONAR SPG

Strike
Archer
Caesar

Last edited:
How feasible would it be to just upgrade the hell out of the AS90??
So obsolescent and an orphan system, Much cheaper to start with something new

That’s what we are doing with our M109’s.!
We sold our M109s to the Austrians for pennies who brought then bang up to date and now sold them on again to Latvia

You could also use more Rocket Arty!!
We don’t do Steel Rain no more removing much of rocket artilleries utility

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Where are all the Gunners on this Board, I would like their input?

(though the absence of them does raise the the collective IQ of the site by double digits)

Where are all the Gunners on this Board, I would like their input?

(though the absence of them does raise the the collective IQ of the site by double digits)
You will have to SHOUT louder than that . . . .

THEY CAN'T HEAR YOU!!

;) .

Not new info, just cool
With regard to the proper/real equipment . . .

Why is it thought necessary to have complicated (unnecessary) two-piece cover that opens/closes to cover the barrel, when it is "stored" ?

From the earlier videos (of all the contenders), do we know what field trials have been undertaken.

The complicated pulley-systems, hydraulic rams, chain tracks, slender guides, electric controls, may all work satisfactorily in a workshop/warehouse environment. They may also work well when demonstrated under "control conditions", in daylight, and on a dry day.

However, all the complicated components do NOT look particularly “soldier proof”.

At night, in winter, in the pissing rain, what happens when the tired and fed-up Gunner Milligan’s muddy boots cause him to slip and drop something (if not himself), into that machinery?!

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
With regard to the proper/real equipment . . .

Why is it thought necessary to have complicated (unnecessary) two-piece cover that opens/closes to cover the barrel, when it is "stored" ?

From the earlier videos (of all the contenders), do we know what field trials have been undertaken.

The complicated pulley-systems, hydraulic rams, chain tracks, slender guides, electric controls, may all work satisfactorily in a workshop/warehouse environment. They may also work well when demonstrated under "control conditions", in daylight, and on a dry day.

However, all the complicated components do NOT look particularly “soldier proof”.

At night, in winter, in the pissing rain, what happens when the tired and fed-up Gunner Milligan’s muddy boots cause him to slip and drop something (if not himself), into that machinery?!
To protect it from environmental problems I would assume. For example the sun, too much heat on one side of the barrel will slightly deform it, reducing accuracy. Which is why you find heat sheaths on the 120mm rifled and smooth bore tank guns. Protection from icing or debris thrown up by the wheels during movement.

@Gassing_Badgers would know to be certain

To protect it from environmental problems I would assume. For example the sun, too much heat on one side of the barrel will slightly deform it, reducing accuracy. Which is why you find heat sheaths on the 120mm rifled and smooth bore tank guns. Protection from icing or debris thrown up by the wheels during movement.

@Gassing_Badgers would know to be certain
I’m not certain on this (dull gunner chat normally being out of my purview), but I would guess that given Archer is intended to be operated entirely under armour, then the crew would need to be confident that the muzzle isn’t obstructed in any way?

It may also give the barrel the same degree of protection from fragments as the rest of the platform?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk