The Scotsman - MoD refuses plea for more Basra troops

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by hackle, Aug 31, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. lead story in today's Scotsman:

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/040831/17/f1kas.html

2. Just telling us what we already knew.

Shame jackson has lot his balls to become a political soldier :evil:

3. The story over-eggs the pudding. There were - and still are - contingency plans for emergency reinforcements for the guys in and around Basra. They would have been deployed on request if the Shia uprising had escalated in the south, albeit adding to overstretch. The other point is that the Iraqi authorities are now in the saddle. Britforces are there to provide security at their request. No one I know of out there has actually asked for reinforcements to be sent, only that they be available.

4. What trade are you again? Didn't know we had Spin Doctors in uniform :twisted:

5. Du Lai,
    A lesser man might've taken offence at that. I'm no spin-doctor. Hate the ba*tards, as I think you'll know if you've read any of my posts to this forum. It just happens to be the truth in this case. No one asked for reinforcements. While the fireshirkers were still threatening action, it would have been difficult to find them, but a battalion would have been sent if needed. No shi*. :D

6. woopert

woopert LE Moderator

A battalion of what though? I didn't realise we had them knocking about spare. The battalion would most likely be made up of guys just off an op tour in the sandy arrsepit within the last 3-6 months, extensive use of the TA, and cancelled POTL and other leave. More worrying, if that is the likely case now, what happens when the cuts have taken their toll? Where do they come from then?

Short-sighted, willful mis-reading of circumstances and blind adherence to the will of political masters over the genuine needs of the armed forces to meet the ever-expanding expeditionary nature of this government's lust for ops and headlines.

A brief reading of the RMAS precis has this quote from Field Marshal Montgomery:

7. [quote="woopert
    Short-sighted, willful mis-reading of circumstances and blind adherence to the will of political masters over the genuine needs of the armed forces to meet the ever-expanding expeditionary nature of this government's lust for ops and headlines.

No arguments there, Woopert. I wasn't trying to justify what I, like you, regard as defence policy driven by the worst kind of financial expediency and short-termism. It's a pity the CDS and CGS didn't have the cojones to say no and the integrity to resign in protest.

8. Claymore,

glad you took it in the way I meant it :wink:

9. Dui-lai, DL. Biter bit. :lol:

10. You never hear about the blokes trickling back from the Arse-raq every week as a consequence of being injured or wounded. Wonder why that is?

11. MoD's sitting on the figures and won't release them. Lots of people getting sick with various Ay-racki bugs as well as heat-related problems.

12. Sounds like they are misleading the public then.

13. Surely not! Well, I'll be dipped in shi*. Maybe there's a first time for everything. :D Some to**er in Main Building probably ruled that release of the actual casualties would be bad for public morale.

14. The Parliamentary season beckons once more! Perhaps Mr Keetch or Mr Price will ask more questions of TCH!

15. Or maybe someone can just phone Selly Oak and ask the registrar?

Someone like , Oh I dunno , say the Leader of the Local Council, concerned that the troops are getting the best of everything, whilst in his Manor?

Maybe even the local MP , or the Birmingham Post or Evening Mail?

Just a thought :twisted: