The Saudi Blockade of Qatar - can anyone explain what is going on?

Oman did (and I think still does), but I accept that is rather the exception.
In Qatar although Air Traffic Control was entirely civilian (only just getting military ATC sorted) the controllers at Doha International Airport (the old one not to be confused with the new one, HIA, 3 miles away) are all locals.

Nothing at all to do with the two massive military airports and two minor ones that Qatar have built and the large orders for modern fighters including the F15QA, Typhoon and F35 ;-)
Although given their relatively tiny population (its a tiny country) I don't know where all the pilots will come from. If I was a cynic I might suggest they were rich kids play toys ;-)
Qatar see the kit and bases as a way of buying influence, and they are probably right. Press reports at the time the Saudis started all this speculated that the only thing that prevented the Saudis from invading Qatar was the heavy US presence there.

After years of blockade, Saudi Arabia and Qatar have agreed to kiss and make up. Saudi Arabia will open its border with Qatar on Monday evening.
Saudi Arabia to lift years-long Qatar embargo, opening airspace and border

There is an annual meeting of Gulf leaders scheduled for Tuesday, and it seems likely that Qatar will now attend. This would have been difficult for Qatar's leader from a domestic political perspective if the border was still closed.

There is no information as to whether either side had to make any concessions in policy.

However, the news report did offer two theories as to why the two sides have made up with one another. One is that it offers US president Trump a final diplomatic win. I don't find this one very convincing, as Trump is just days away from being history and has far bigger things to worry about at the moment.

The other, more convincing reason is that it clears an issue off the table with respect to Saudi Arabia building ties with upcoming US president Biden. Saudi Arabia have particular concerns with respect to the possibility of the US adopting a more conciliatory policy towards Iran, and the Saudis don't need side issues such as the Qatar situation getting in the way.
Alternately, it's the ebb and flow of Gulf politics, with all sides prone to getting upset at "anything" if it suits.

From the link, the RAF's finest on display at this end of the line. Beard, gut, glasses and a set of trousers that don't look like they've seen a press since issued (not that the Qatari beside him is much better).

1609924774206.png

TBGB

Old-Salt
With the world cup and other tourist events happening in the region the blockade was expected to be lifted at anytime. It's not like if you needed to get to Qatar you couldn't just fly to Oman and then back up. Perhaps loss of revenue to Emirates etc is more important.

With the world cup and other tourist events happening in the region the blockade was expected to be lifted at anytime. It's not like if you needed to get to Qatar you couldn't just fly to Oman and then back up. Perhaps loss of revenue to Emirates etc is more important.
The Middle Eastern mind does not work like a Western one. This will not be forgotten about for centuries.

I know that, full well. I would fully expect it to come back after the world cup.
Then I'll expect some kicking off as Qatar flexes its muscles with all the new airpower its getting (not forgetting the drone bases) and some 'assistance' from its buddies the US of A. Whether UK will let itself be dragged in I don't know but somethings brewing out there.

TBGB

Old-Salt
Then I'll expect some kicking off as Qatar flexes its muscles with all the new airpower its getting (not forgetting the drone bases) and some 'assistance' from its buddies the US of A. Whether UK will let itself be dragged in I don't know but somethings brewing out there.
What's the thoughts on Israel now being linked to UAE and rumour has it soon to be KSA. It makes a pretty solid block against Iran and Qatar. KSA now pushing for tourism and openness in general. I know it highly unpopular with Arabs I know from the Levant and North Africa but amongst Emiratis and other GCC nationals (mainly Saudi) they think it is a positive stabiliser and potential ally against Iran and Qatar.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
The Middle Eastern mind does not work like a Western one. This will not be forgotten about for centuries.
Battle of the Boyne? Flodden?

Just yesterday :)

What's the thoughts on Israel now being linked to UAE and rumour has it soon to be KSA. It makes a pretty solid block against Iran and Qatar. KSA now pushing for tourism and openness in general. I know it highly unpopular with Arabs I know from the Levant and North Africa but amongst Emiratis and other GCC nationals (mainly Saudi) they think it is a positive stabiliser and potential ally against Iran and Qatar.
I'm no expert, just write what I think, although it'll be 5 years in April since I worked in Dubai. The Israel thing was curious given the general hatred (not too strong a word) for Jews and Israel out there. Might just be pragmatism as you suggest.
KSA and tourism makes me laugh :) They're well used to tourists for The Hajj but Western tourists are a whole different ball game, they will not take kindly to lock down for prayers, nor women having to wear a hijab, no alcohol or pork products and so the list goes on. The UAE is trying to get its shit in one sock for when the oil runs out by cranking up the tourism market. Good infrastructure, plenty of great hotels, lots of tourist attractions, decent weather for a large'ish part of the year. KSA has a much bigger problem. The oil wealth enabled the countries population to expand tremendously but the infrastructure required, for power to AC everything, for water etc. etc. now accounts for circa (last I heard) 40% of what they suck out of the ground. The muslim tourist trade will still pull in billions per year but not enough to sustain the current population, what else they can do I don't know.

Battle of the Boyne? Flodden?

Just yesterday :)

'Agin-court, Agin-court,
Water-loo, Water-loo,
Battle of Trafalgar, Battle of Trafalgar,
Crecy too, Crecy too!'

Latest Threads