• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

The Saudi Blockade of Qatar - can anyone explain what is going on?

Qatar row: Calls for diplomatic talks to end Gulf crisis - BBC News

I'll be honest, I follow certain areas of the Middle East but the Qatar situation is new to me. Is the issue that Qatar is being too friendly to Iran? How far will the KSA and US go to get Qatar back onside? Has Trump abandoned all efforts to talk to Iran? Is the KSA now back in the 'strong regional partner' saddle?

Elucidation welcome. Thank you in advance to anyone who helps provide more information.

The issue seems to be over ransom payments to terrorist groups, and whether some of them were allegedly arranged to be kidnapped so they get round the ban on directly funding banned terrorist groups

See here for one of many sources, but the ransom of maybe up to $1 billion was probably the tipping point

The issue seems to be over ransom payments to terrorist groups, and whether some of them were allegedly arranged to be kidnapped so they get round the ban on directly funding banned terrorist groups

See here for one of many sources, but the ransom of maybe up to $1 billion was probably the tipping point
No change their then.

Basically, KSA (and probably MbS in particular) are pissed that Qatar aren't doing exactly what they are told to do.

The Qataris (and Kuwaitis) move to political Islam, i.e. what "we" keep on telling Muslims to do, as well as a willingness to speak to Iran, whilst funding the Muslim Brotherhood are some more specifics in the charge sheet.

Qatar row: Calls for diplomatic talks to end Gulf crisis - BBC News

I'll be honest, I follow certain areas of the Middle East but the Qatar situation is new to me. Is the issue that Qatar is being too friendly to Iran? How far will the KSA and US go to get Qatar back onside? Has Trump abandoned all efforts to talk to Iran? Is the KSA now back in the 'strong regional partner' saddle?

Elucidation welcome. Thank you in advance to anyone who helps provide more information.
No expert but I think other countries don't like the Qatar state sponsered Al Jazzera shining a light on the Saudi,s misdameaners

Basically, KSA (and probably MbS in particular) are pissed that Qatar aren't doing exactly what they are told to do.

The Qataris (and Kuwaitis) move to political Islam, i.e. what "we" keep on telling Muslims to do, as well as a willingness to speak to Iran, whilst funding the Muslim Brotherhood are some more specifics in the charge sheet.
But it's suspected that Saudi has funded Jihadist groups in for example Syria. Is the Muslim Brotherhood a different case as far as the KSA is concerned? Being honest, I assumed Qatar was aiding such groups with likely Saudi approval. Or are some groups aligned to Iran?

But it's suspected that Saudi has funded Jihadist groups in for example Syria. Is the Muslim Brotherhood a different case as far as the KSA is concerned? Being honest, I assumed Qatar was aiding such groups with likely Saudi approval. Or are some groups aligned to Iran?
Oh, it reeks of hypocrisy all over. It doesn't matter what KSA does or doesn't do, it wants the GCC to fall in line directly behind it. And when they don't they strike out.

Oh, it reeks of hypocrisy all over. It doesn't matter what KSA does or doesn't do, it wants the GCC to fall in line directly behind it. And when they don't they strike out.
So it's about Qatar stepping out of line. The KSA doesn't want a weakening of its influence?

Qatar is a former protectorate. Do we have any role is resolving this or are we likely backing the KSA as usual?

The Qataris haven't been playing nice for a while, supplying MANPADS to beards in Syria in the past, not keeping Al Jazeera and all of that democracy talk under control, encouraging the Muslim Brotherhood and most importantly, talking to Iran. Anti Iranian alliance anyone?

If you want to get a better picture this is a very good article. Especially the counterrevolution comments

The Most Charming Man In Washington

Having said that, if anyone thinks that they know what's going on they're kidding themselves. Especially Trump.

The Qataris haven't been playing nice for a while, supplying MANPADS to beards in Syria in the past, not keeping Al Jazeera and all of that democracy talk under control, encouraging the Muslim Brotherhood and most importantly, talking to Iran. Anti Iranian alliance anyone?

If you want to get a better picture this is a very good article. Especially the counterrevolution comments

The Most Charming Man In Washington

Having said that, if anyone thinks that they know what's going on they're kidding themselves. Especially Trump.
I'll read that article next.

Any chance of the KSA/US approach pushing Qatar away, rather than bringing it to heel?

I'll read that article next.

Any chance of the KSA/US approach pushing Qatar away, rather than bringing it to heel?
A strong one.

And at least it'll make the GCC less stable - if KSA and Egypt are willing to do this to Qatar, what will happen to Kuwait and Oman?

So it's about Qatar stepping out of line. The KSA doesn't want a weakening of its influence?

Qatar is a former protectorate. Do we have any role is resolving this or are we likely backing the KSA as usual?
MbS by all accounts wants KSA to lead the Middle East, and "cut the head off" Iran.

MbS by all accounts wants KSA to lead the Middle East, and "cut the head off" Iran.
Iran is obviously a regional power, even if the KSA and US don't want it to be. It's projecting power in Syria and -assuming Assad recovers most of the country - will have a grateful Northern partner, and allies in Egypt. Add to that a strengthening economy and access to nuclear power, and a Qatar prepared to break ranks and engage, and I can see why the KSA is concerned.
Looked at at face value, isn't this incident likely to raise tensions? Is that the aim, even?

Maybe the whole area will degenerate into a nasty, bloody war and they can sort it out amongst themselves; it will serve a secondary purpose of attracting a whole new wave of foreign fighters who will get a better deal on duty frees in Dubai than in Homs...

I suspect the phrase 'sacrificial lamb' may have some relevance to the question.

Latest Threads