The Sale of cigarettes takes another kicking

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,91211-1317661,00.html

How does brightly coloured packets and logo encourage children to start smoking? They all smoke because they are trying to impress their mates.

Are labour going out of their way to annoy everyone in the country in the shortest time as possible. Get on with something productive you tossers.

Labour want to be thankful, If it wasn't for the 200000 under 16s buying fags brown would have even less money

B

Biscuits_AB

Both my kids smoke. The 3 year old goes through 40 a day. I used to have a beagle, but it just kept dipping into my baccy tin. Swapped it for a Zippo.

squiffy_parsons said:
Biscuits_AB said:
Both my kids smoke. The 3 year old goes through 40 a day. I used to have a beagle, but it just kept dipping into my baccy tin. Swapped it for a Zippo.
What, the baccy tin ?
The 3 year old. :roll:

1stgulfmac said:
Don't smoke, so dont care.
Neither do I, I was pointing out what our beloved masters are doing to earn that extra X amount of thousands of pounds they want. They waste their time with pointless new laws.

Just proves how feckin lost tjis sad excuse for a "goverment" this lot is, first it was Fox hunting, next it was ,Elf ,n, Safety, then Rubber Coppers, now it,s feckin Ciggies, why dont they turn it in and get away while they still can, the bunch of No Hopers.

B

Biscuits_AB

raggedy said:
Just proves how feckin lost tjis sad excuse for a "goverment" this lot is, first it was Fox hunting, next it was ,Elf ,n, Safety, then Rubber Coppers, now it,s feckin Ciggies, why dont they turn it in and get away while they still can, the bunch of No Hopers.
They've always had in in for people under 2 ft tall. :bigsmurf:

I started smoking 50 years ago for exactly the same reason kids start smoking today, it was big and all my mates did it. The reason most of the MPs who'll be supporting this stupid move started smoking pot at uni wqas because, it was big and all their mates were doing it. All the legislation in the world isn't going to stop kids starting smoking, it's just to be hoped that ,like me , when they grow up they see the error of their ways.Anybody with any sense would pack it in after the first one because , quite frankly, it was bl**dy awful.

craftsmanx said:
I started smoking 50 years ago for exactly the same reason kids start smoking today, it was big and all my mates did it. The reason most of the MPs who'll be supporting this stupid move started smoking pot at uni wqas because, it was big and all their mates were doing it. All the legislation in the world isn't going to stop kids starting smoking, it's just to be hoped that ,like me , when they grow up they see the error of their ways.Anybody with any sense would pack it in after the first one because , quite frankly, it was bl**dy awful.
You must miss the after shag fag though!

200,000 children start smoking each year = 200,000 x revenue. Say what you will but that is GOOD NEWS to any Government, all they have to do is fawn sympathy of some sort.

Biscuits_AB said:
Did ya smoke the Beagle as wel?

My favourite part of it has to be,

Sky News said:
The Department of Health is also considering introducing minimum pack sizes of 20 to prevent teenagers who can only afford packs of 10 buying cigarettes and a ban on the advertising of cigarette papers.
Uh, excuse me? So instead of buying say for example a pack of ten for a week they save up a little the first time and then just buy a pack of twenty to last them a fortnight and then a fortnight later they buy another pack. And of course if advertising cigarette papers is outlawed then the knowledge of them will be magically wiped from people's memories so that no-one will ever know to buy them in the fututre.

O2Thief said:
200,000 children start smoking each year = 200,000 x revenue. Say what you will but that is GOOD NEWS to any Government, all they have to do is fawn sympathy of some sort.
Although that is balanced out by the costs of whatever illnesses smoking might have helped contribute to that then need treating by the NHS. I've got no idea how much that sort of stuff costs so whether smoking is a net gain or loss for the Treasury is an unknown.

As people have already said it's not branding and logos that get teenagers to start smoking, it's because older kids are already doing it and it's considered cool. One of the best examples being,

Or the film noir classic Out of the Past. That film's damn near a commercial for the cigarette industry, there's one scene where Mitchum and Douglas are quite literally smoking at each other. And the line when Douglas offers Mitchum a smoke, "Cigarette?" offers Douglas, "Smoking," said Mitchum, holding up his hand with a lit cigarette in it.

All of this is going to do bugger all to change that. It's pretty much what I've come to expect of this government, a nice idea but attempting to implement it in a crap manner that'll have very little effect with the possibility of future problems later on and that carries faint overtones of nanny state-ism.

It just goes to show what a complete bunch of incompetent fcukwits they truly are.
The economy is going up the shitter
Fuel Prices are soaring
Food prices are soaring
Everything money related is getting more expensive
Unless you own your own home, then your sh!t out of luck because house prices are falling.
What does this government do?

Target another easysection of society (again) so they can appear as though they are doing something, regardless of how utterly pointless it actually is.

Heres a thought Labour.
As pretty much everybody in this once fine Isle holds you and your ilk in utter contempt. How about, instead of sitting in your ivory towers and generally fcuking the country up for good, you do something to rectify the dire situation this nation currently finds itself in.
Picking on smokers again is not going to win an election, you should well know, the vast majority of benefit scroungers (your electorate) are smokers/alcoholics etc.
Wouldnt want to upset the ones who are garunteed to vote for you would you?
You utterly useless incompetent bunch of fuckwits

And if there's one sure way of increasing the amount of counterfeit - some of it could have lethal levels of nicotine - and smuggled cigs in the marketplace, then going for plain packs with no branding, will do it every time.

All our problems will be fixed by putting the fags in plain packets under the counter, not enforcing the law it is illegal to sell fags and booze to under age kids, enforce that law fine the newsagents for breaking the law and leave the rest of us alone, to worry about the minor problems like how do I afford to fill my car up to go to work, to make money to struggle to feed my family because every thing not in a plain white packet has gone through the roof.

Last moan fuel tax
1 liter fuel £1 tax 65% 60 liters to fill car £60 tax £42.80
Fuel £2 tax still 65% 60 liters to fill car £120 tax £85.60

Poor old goverment can not see how to help people how about CUT THE FU@KING TAX to 35% you still get your £42+ I can afford to drive to work , farmers cut food production cost, hauliers cut the delivery cost for goods, supermarkets can cut food selling cost and inflation goes down, oh my god I just saved the country and cost BROON FU@K ALL