The sad demise of Thomas Cook Airlines

Yep. The annual fee for my Platinum Cashback is £25 quid but I make more than twice that in all the cashback, so it pays for itself.

And they have a lot of Amex deals running, like 2 pints for £4 quid or get some X% off at some merchants, rental etc, which can be useful from time to time.

And great customer service - and super easy to dispute a charge. Once when AVIS claimed that a dinged a car wheel, which I didn't, it was one of those late night drop off places without inspection and tried to charge me something stupid, I called Amex and they immediately dropped it off the bill within a day or two.

And great at travel assistance too.

I am not saying they are the best out there ( by no means) or the greatest, but it's a useful card to have, depending on your lifestyle.

I saw this as I was heading towards Poole Job Centre this lunchtime

View attachment 419331

I mentioned all the recent job losses to my "work coach" and he said that Hays Travel had been in wanting their details passing to any Thomas Cook staff. So it looks like some of the staff might be okay.

A few yards down and opposite the Thomas Cook branch is the TUI branch. All of the late offers have been removed from their window. Am I to assume that they are cashing in?
Supply and demand

I saw this as I was heading towards Poole Job Centre this lunchtime

View attachment 419331

I mentioned all the recent job losses to my "work coach" and he said that Hays Travel had been in wanting their details passing to any Thomas Cook staff. So it looks like some of the staff might be okay.

A few yards down and opposite the Thomas Cook branch is the TUI branch. All of the late offers have been removed from their window. Am I to assume that they are cashing in?
So the management were financially illiterate and the employees only illiterate in the English language?

Yep. The annual fee for my Platinum Cashback is £25 quid but I make more than twice that in all the cashback, so it pays for itself.

And they have a lot of Amex deals running, like 2 pints for £4 quid or get some X% off at some merchants, rental etc, which can be useful from time to time.

And great customer service - and super easy to dispute a charge. Once when AVIS claimed that a dinged a car wheel, which I didn't, it was one of those late night drop off places without inspection and tried to charge me something stupid, I called Amex and they immediately dropped it off the bill within a day or two.

And great at travel assistance too.

I am not saying they are the best out there ( by no means) or the greatest, but it's a useful card to have, depending on your lifestyle.

I concur!

They also offer a variety of handy services to cardholders who are traveling. They will accept and hold mail for cardholders. Years ago (Wilson was PM and Ford was POTUS) I headed out on my honeymoon with my bride, shortly after I took the Bar exam, and left my mother with the addresses of all the AMEX offices where we would be traveling so when the results were sent out she could send them on to me. We got the results at the AMEX office in Rome and we danced all over the AMEX office. (as Italians muttered "Crazy Americanos"). They also provide other services such as notarizing documents, etc.
Also good at dealing with emergencies abroad as I noted in my earlier post.

ugly

LE
On the bright side, at least if they do get away she'll be able to sort the inevitable STD at the same time.
They are sorted, her dafter than normal dozy mate booked with Thompson (tui) no wonder abta hadn't been in touch

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
I have long understood that when a British Embassy of consulate arranges a flight home for some 'distressed British subject' i.e. one who can't afford the flight, some sort of bond is entered into whereby the person is formally in debt (essentially to the taxpayer) for the sum after they arrive back in UK.

I have not read of anything like this applying to the rescued T Cook customers.

I have long understood that when a British Embassy of consulate arranges a flight home for some 'distressed British subject' i.e. one who can't afford the flight, some sort of bond is entered into whereby the person is formally in debt (essentially to the taxpayer) for the sum after they arrive back in UK.

I have not read of anything like this applying to the rescued T Cook customers.
That is because the repatriation was underwritten by the Government - via the holiday industry fund for such situations, and organised by the CAA

CAA

Being distressed as you put it is usually down to the fault of the individual thus the Embassy will require a bond

Archie

Those figures are fiction......... eg Tui want £360 return flight, travel to Manchester, 1 night in a hotel, £50 for petrol for the return trip, parking, £100 for transfer each way to Amalfi.

Easyjet from London....... flight £356 plus luggage.

1 night hotel, train, £100 each way transfer from Naples.

Then acommodation on top........

Those figures are fiction......... eg Tui want £360 return flight, travel to Manchester, 1 night in a hotel, £50 for petrol for the return trip, parking, £100 for transfer each way to Amalfi.

Easyjet from London....... flight £356 plus luggage.

1 night hotel, train, £100 each way transfer from Naples.

Then acommodation on top........
Have you thought about not using Tui? And just booking the flights and hotels yourself, like sensible people?

Why don't you go somewhere else that costs less?

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Why don't you go somewhere else that costs less?

Like where ?

Tui are profiteering from TC going tits up, and everywhere is top dollar.

Last year was an end of season cheapy, flights, apartment and transfers for £290..... an absolute bargain.

A couple of months ago, it was £333, and I was seriously tempted, but I'd had stomach problems, and was due in hospital for an ultrasound, so delayed it just in case........

The ultrasound was clear, but then TC crashed, and the cost went up faster than Katie Price's vest.

Like where ?

Tui are profiteering from TC going tits up, and everywhere is top dollar.

Last year was an end of season cheapy, flights, apartment and transfers for £290..... an absolute bargain.

A couple of months ago, it was £333, and I was seriously tempted, but I'd had stomach problems, and was due in hospital for an ultrasound, so delayed it just in case........

The ultrasound was clear, but then TC crashed, and the cost went up faster than Katie Price's vest.
Everywhere is top dollar? I don't think so.

Latest Threads