The sad demise of Thomas Cook Airlines

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
3 grand of 5 people for 10 days holiday is cheap you pikey. I spend more than that on mine and wife's flights.
Yeah but Ebay pay for your holidays.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
I know of no independent trader that accepts amex, everyone is shy of their demands and charges.
All of the mobile payment gateways (Square, PayPal Here, SumIt, Shopify POS etc etc) charge a flat percentage rate irrespective of card provider. Any independent trader using a bank furnished payment gateway that charges extra for Amex (and other cards) needs to look very carefully at their payment processing costs.

About 10% of my sales are Amex. Many of those wouldn’t buy if we didn’t take Amex. Even if I had to pay a higher percentage fee I would; why would any sane business loose a sale.

Which is thread drift. But maybe not. If your customers want to pay by Amex, then you make it easy. If they want to purchase on line then then you make it easy. And your product has to be quality.

Poor quality product, bad service you fail.

ugly

LE
All of the mobile payment gateways (Square, PayPal Here, SumIt, Shopify POS etc etc) charge a flat percentage rate irrespective of card provider. Any independent trader using a bank furnished payment gateway that charges extra for Amex (and other cards) needs to look very carefully at their payment processing costs.

About 10% of my sales are Amex. Many of those wouldn’t buy if we didn’t take Amex. Even if I had to pay a higher percentage fee I would; why would any sane business loose a sale.

Which is thread drift. But maybe not. If your customers want to pay by Amex, then you make it easy. If they want to purchase on line then then you make it easy. And your product has to be quality.

Poor quality product, bad service you fail.
We have only ever been asked by American tourists and it was before we got the card machine. We got the sale, we took, dollars, pounds and Euros of the chap and he staggered away having bout about £20 worth of sand and canvas for £120.
Mind you the workmanship putting the sand and kapok filled dummies together to meet the kennel club J regulations were rather expensive.

MoleBath

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
As so many places refuse or surcharge AMEX I am puzzled as to the attraction of an AMEX card

Last edited:

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
AS so many places refuse or surcharge AMEX I am puzzled as to the attraction of an AMEX card
But...
It's American Express !

It must be the best, even Amex says so.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer

Dredd

LE
See where you went wrong ?
I certainly do -

I was going to put in a couple of what the young 'uns call memes relating to American beer and sex in a canoe + Bear Grylls and Coors Light, but that would probably break the forum rules on sweary words, so if you don't already know them, use your Google-fu.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
What this one ?

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
I certainly do -

I was going to put in a couple of what the young 'uns call memes relating to American beer and sex in a canoe + Bear Grylls and Coors Light, but that would probably break the forum rules on sweary words, so if you don't already know them, use your Google-fu.
And there was me thinking "Carlsberg".

0A and her best mate (currently awaiting a cancer op) had daftly booked a week in Turkey through Thomas Crook. They are currently waiting on atoll/abta to source their new hol so they can have a week of sun before she undergoes the knife.
On the bright side, at least if they do get away she'll be able to sort the inevitable STD at the same time.

Chalkythedog

Old-Salt
I only laughed because I heard that radio thing too and my first, immediate thought was 'You daft bastards'.

They took real money and actually on purpose turned it into Monopoly money. Why not just give them a ******* cheque each year? Why do people do things like that without checking the protection?

Argh.
People do things like that because they don't know, and probably wouldn't believe how crooked fiat currencies are. They are trusting souls who believe what they are told. By bankers. And politicians. You've got to laugh.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer

Latest Threads