The sad demise of Thomas Cook Airlines

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
I doubt many people carry Amex alone. I have a Visa and Mastercard debit/ credit as well. But if some joint will accept while giving me some cashback, why not use it?
Nothing against card users in the slightest, but while Amex is large in it's own backyard, it's had to revert to questionable practices in the free world.

There's little incentive for established traders to start taking their card when other firms play fairer.

Do you remember all those UN bods who’ve been bumping their gums in NY recently?
Many came from the UN HQ in Geneva, and guess who was the travel organiser for all UN agencies in Geneva - big office and all in the UN HQ?
Yep, Thos Cook.
Thomas Cook organised the transport up the Nile for the British Army relief force bound for Khartoum in 1884
They were pretty good at moving people for a very long time.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Do you remember all those UN bods who’ve been bumping their gums in NY recently?
Many came from the UN HQ in Geneva, and guess who was the travel organiser for all UN agencies in Geneva - big office and all in the UN HQ?
Yep, Thos Cook.
It's ok, they can sail back to europe with the Aryan Aspie.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Thomas Cook organised the transport up the Nile for the British Army relief force bound for Khartoum in 1884
Bet the bosses weren't ripping the arse out of the firm with twenty mill bonuses then.

I can't imagine the Widow was happy subbing up stay at home businessmen.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Club 18- 30........ 1884.

Wearing "They don't like it up 'em...... " t- shirts
Politically correct slogans from Victoria's reign.

Sounds like a great thread title.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Nothing against card users in the slightest, but while Amex is large in it's own backyard, it's had to revert to questionable practices in the free world.

There's little incentive for established traders to start taking their card when other firms play fairer.
I don't know what their questionable practices are - but, I do know they have higher transaction fees so do understand not that everyone everywhere take them.

But I always stick one of my AMEX cards in my backpack when I am out and about or traveling. They've so far got me out of a few tricky situs - while the others kept saying it will be 3 or 5 biz days for something to happen. Hence I keep them.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I know of no independent trader that accepts amex, everyone is shy of their demands and charges.
Once saw a sign: 'We accept you may have Amex but you need to accept we don't accept it.'

:D

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
A couple on my local radio have been saving up with Thomas Cook vouchers. They had £800 worth. All gone no protection. Why do people buy vouchers. Put your money in the bank. It's safe and gets a smidgen of interest. When the time comes buy what you are after on a credit card for a months free credit and extra protection then pay of the credit card bill with what you saved. Simple. If you cant afford to save for it dont have it.
I only laughed because I heard that radio thing too and my first, immediate thought was 'You daft bastards'.

They took real money and actually on purpose turned it into Monopoly money. Why not just give them a ******* cheque each year? Why do people do things like that without checking the protection?

Argh.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
A couple of years ago the wife booked a TC holiday for us, and one of the daughters and grand children, I think it was about 10 days in Portugal
cheap it was not around 3 grand
we booked apartments as with the children it would be easier to do things rather than be tied to a hotel
turned up at Faro Airport and had to get on a coach, one hour journey to the Hotel
youngest grandchild gets travel sick, so we asked if we could hire a taxi to take us there
oh no it will cost over 100 Euro and take longer
hey ho
bloody coach went up the motorway, we thought this wont be too bad, first stop the big 5 star hotel , then next stop the 4 star hotel, then miles of back roads and oddly back on the motorway towards faro ??? then more Hotels
eventually the coach drops us off at the apartment complex
can we go to our rooms please ( I had worked 14 hours the day before)
oh no not till 4pm ???
this was midday
they sent us to the restaurant that ripped us off
eventually after sitting bored in a side room we were allowed to go to our apartments
they looked like something out of a carry on film, cracked tiles, bodged wiring, broken door locks, an assortment of car boot sale cutlery
a window that did not open, bloody ants every where, oddly several large holes left by the removal of pipe work seemed to be their route in
beds were awful
tv did not work
and next door a building site
We tried to find the beach that was only 15 minutes away !!!! on a motocrosser maybe
made the best of it and enjoyed ourselves
but the one hour walk to the beach was a killer

The young woman with the plummy voice who as the the TC rep was finally located and the problems pointed out, and I asked about the long route with the coach, and showed her a map which clearly indicated that the airport was not far away
so I said the coach will pick us up last tommorow morning
oh no you have to be down at half six but a minibus will call as there are only six of you
I wandered down at around 6 just to check something only to find an empty coach parked up, so we took our time and kept them waiting, of course it want all around the houses and the posh hotel guest had the shortest journey
they even asked us if we would go with them again !!!
not in a million years
next time we will book flights use a taxi and hire an apartment near to the town centre

or go to Wales and get sunburnt

Yes, but they were two days late.

They even get a mention in "The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp" when the British Embassy in Berlin sends Candy's return ticket off to Thomas Cook for a refund.

I saw this as I was heading towards Poole Job Centre this lunchtime

20190926_144904-1238x1651.jpg

I mentioned all the recent job losses to my "work coach" and he said that Hays Travel had been in wanting their details passing to any Thomas Cook staff. So it looks like some of the staff might be okay.

A few yards down and opposite the Thomas Cook branch is the TUI branch. All of the late offers have been removed from their window. Am I to assume that they are cashing in?

And do the jeans still fit?

Just kidding. Fortunately I haven't had that kind of experience but seems yours wasn't as traumatic as it could have been. Good drills.
I still have not figured out why anyone - with their own funds or at the expense of others would pay $1000 for Gucci jeans of any sort. Levi Straus and Co have been making excellent jeans for years for far less.
One time in a store I saw Gucci T-shirts for $100. J.C Penney sells theirs for$8.

I know of no independent trader that accepts amex, everyone is shy of their demands and charges.
I doubt if it the fees charged the vendor that is the issue.
Many years ago I was elected treasurer of a professional association. I thought "why not, how much work can it be".* All was fine until we started to run annual conferences. Attendees wanted to pay by credit card using government credit cards, vendors wanted to pay for booths with company cards etc.
Applying through our bank for Visa and MasterCard was a piece of cake, two page form and you were approved. To be an AMEX vendor is entirely different. We would have to fill out a 12 page application and send it in with a certified copy of our articles of incorporation, a certified copy of the Internal Revenue Service form that granted us 501(c)(3) (tax exempt) status, certified copies of our annual IRS 990 return,.... . I said the hell with it and went with Visa and MasterCard.

* re association elections- if you are at a meeting where there will be elections DO NOT drink more than three cups of coffee. You might be in the loo when the election takes place and you will return to find yourself elected to some office.

Edited to add:
I believe that the difference in fees between Visa and AMEX is less than one percent. Back when I was involved the scanned card rate was about 3.25 for Visa and 3.75 for AMEX. Rates vary whether a card is scanned, number entered with mailing address or just the number. The safer the transaction the lower the rate.

Last edited:
A couple of years ago the wife booked a TC holiday for us, and one of the daughters and grand children, I think it was about 10 days in Portugal
cheap it was not around 3 grand
we booked apartments as with the children it would be easier to do things rather than be tied to a hotel
turned up at Faro Airport and had to get on a coach, one hour journey to the Hotel
youngest grandchild gets travel sick, so we asked if we could hire a taxi to take us there
oh no it will cost over 100 Euro and take longer
hey ho
bloody coach went up the motorway, we thought this wont be too bad, first stop the big 5 star hotel , then next stop the 4 star hotel, then miles of back roads and oddly back on the motorway towards faro ??? then more Hotels
eventually the coach drops us off at the apartment complex
can we go to our rooms please ( I had worked 14 hours the day before)
oh no not till 4pm ???
this was midday
they sent us to the restaurant that ripped us off
eventually after sitting bored in a side room we were allowed to go to our apartments
they looked like something out of a carry on film, cracked tiles, bodged wiring, broken door locks, an assortment of car boot sale cutlery
a window that did not open, bloody ants every where, oddly several large holes left by the removal of pipe work seemed to be their route in
beds were awful
tv did not work
and next door a building site
We tried to find the beach that was only 15 minutes away !!!! on a motocrosser maybe
made the best of it and enjoyed ourselves
but the one hour walk to the beach was a killer

The young woman with the plummy voice who as the the TC rep was finally located and the problems pointed out, and I asked about the long route with the coach, and showed her a map which clearly indicated that the airport was not far away
so I said the coach will pick us up last tommorow morning
oh no you have to be down at half six but a minibus will call as there are only six of you
I wandered down at around 6 just to check something only to find an empty coach parked up, so we took our time and kept them waiting, of course it want all around the houses and the posh hotel guest had the shortest journey
they even asked us if we would go with them again !!!
not in a million years
next time we will book flights use a taxi and hire an apartment near to the town centre

or go to Wales and get sunburnt
3 grand of 5 people for 10 days holiday is cheap you pikey. I spend more than that on mine and wife's flights.

I saw this as I was heading towards Poole Job Centre this lunchtime

View attachment 419331

I mentioned all the recent job losses to my "work coach" and he said that Hays Travel had been in wanting their details passing to any Thomas Cook staff. So it looks like some of the staff might be okay.

A few yards down and opposite the Thomas Cook branch is the TUI branch. All of the late offers have been removed from their window. Am I to assume that they are cashing in?
At least the staff didn't have far to walk.

Latest Threads