The sad decline of the tweed-clad gent

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by RP578, Apr 16, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

In the Guardian no less! Made me smile so I thought I'd share. Some of the comments are interesting too.

The sad decline of the tweed-clad gent
    Let's ponder the horrific decline in male attire. The well-dressed gentleman has been hunted to near-extinction by louts in Lycra

2. Flyingrockdj

Flyingrockdj War Hero Moderator

I am proudly in Harris today!

3. Is he tight??

• Like Like x 3
  4. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

I was at work today in a Barbour tweed sports jacket, and can be found prowling around the countryside in Musto tweed breeks from late summer onwards :D

5. I have two excellent Harris Tweed jackets but the twats down the pub call me a geography teacher when I wear them to go for a couple of pints. Standards are so lackng in the UK these days.

6. Most people who favour tweed have hygiene problems.

7. I'm in workware. I don't and never will ever want to look my maths teacher. Please come out of the 19 century and into the 21st.

8. And you know this because.....?

9. Certainly not, the thought of wearing a plastic shell suite fills me with horror.

• Like Like x 3
  10. ...............I've had the sad misfortune to be in a room with two of the tweeded inbreds.

The smell of stale coffee mixed with Hai Karate and sweat emanating from them was sickening.

They were the equivalent of the Dementors from Harry Spotter - sucking up the atmosphere and spreading despair.

Talking of despair, this thread sums it up.

11. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Don't confuse the high-end tweed wearer with your common old M&S jacket wearing teacher - the giveaway is the leather elbow pads, or even worse synthetic leather 8O

12. Get yourself off to one of the main game/country fairs/shows.Acres of the stuff.(And men wearing red cords)

13. The article isn't so much mourning the decline of tweed itself but rather sartorialism. To think this country once led the way in male fashion...

14. msr

msr LE

Attached Files:

15. my bold
    Ugly spends many happy hours watching some of these red cord clad ne'er do wells :D