The SA80A2 - What do you really think?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Polemarch, Nov 30, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all. I've been lurking for some time but thought it was time to join up (the forum that is!) and get involved. One questino I have had for some time is regards to our good old standby, the SA80 or more specifically, the shiney new A2 modded version. Every now and then when the press are bored they drag out the 'crap unreliable rifle' story with a few anecdotes. From what I've heard from MoD people third hand they think it is now a good gun.

My question is what do you think? As in the people that actually use it on a day to day basis? I do not mean is it the perfect weapon but simply, is it any good and does it help you get the job done? I know throughout history the British soldier has kept going with both good and poor weapons and still do well.

Opinions would be most appreciated. Apologies in advance if this has already been covered elsewhere (I'm sure it has).
  2. Flat at one end and damn dangerous at the other, my loader says it is OK and enjoys cleaining it!
  3. I personally thought that the A1 wasn't that long as it was looked after. The A2 is better, a good rifle.
  4. has.

Search function works too........
  5. So, Polemarch.... are you:

a. A journo trying a double bluff, or

b. Some cnut from the MoD spin machine looking for goodnews to push out in Pravda, or

c. Really that stupid you can't search for the info on the various threads ad nauseum on this very topic?

My money's on (c)...
  6. The SA80 A2 has a Search Functuion? Brilliant! :D
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. it goes bang
  8. I'm glad this topic's FINALLY come up on Arrse.

I just wish someone would start one on the SLR.
  9. Again?

It is the Worlds best live target rifle*.

And you Sir are a Journo. Not a very good one either; 'lurking for some time' my arrse.

Edited to add

*as opposed to a live target spray gun, just in case you don't understand.
  10. I'd have said more of a "Crack" than a "Bang". A loud crack though.
  11. GunnersQuadrant

GunnersQuadrant LE Moderator

I really did not have as much trouble with the A1 as the media made out, it was essentially a good rifle.

I must say that the current A2 has made improvements to the rifles designs overall performance.

Personally i am more than happy with it and have deployed on operations in the past without any concerns regarding the A2.

Now if you wish to quote me please do so.
  12. Well I love mine, I even sleep with her at night sometimes if she's ben good :D
  13. AJ, Spotted! Thing is that unless you really use this weapon, you never really know anything. Poleman would do better going to talk to anyone from 2 R Anglian in Pirbright.
  14. Hey everyone! Have you heard that the SLR is going to be reintroduced?

Cool or what? What do you think?

[ just feck off please]
  15. Elephant Gun - a great piece of kit!