The SA80 left hand and right hand firing?

always fired the .303 cadets not that old :D
and the SLR and gpmg left handed ok I am :cry:

I fired it when it was still 4.85mm and under development and they did have left handed versions, which is why I ended up trialing it.

However the MOD being the MOD decided that it was too expensive and troublesome to have the left handed verison so only the right hand verison was brought.

In the time since this thread has dried up, has a left handed Sa80 been brought into service? I was watching the First episode of "TA and the Taliban" and a guy on there was firing from the left shoulder and the cocking handle was on the left too.

You can see at 0:13 in this trailer: TA and the Taliban
Looks like a 2 Para DZ flash on his left arm, so maybe the video has been mirrored in editing?

Its mirrored there are no left handed SA80. The footage taken of him before the contact shows him carrying a normal right handed SA80

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
shame really as the extra 15 quid to make an ambidextrous weapon might have sorted out the issues earlier and cheaper in the long run.

I wonder who has the prototypes

shame really as the extra 15 quid to make an ambidextrous weapon might have sorted out the issues earlier and cheaper in the long run.

I wonder who has the prototypes
Some of them are in the Warminster collection.

To be fair, there were probably practical safety reasons to consider: imagine grabbing a spare gat to fend off an attack in a typical Afghan situation, then having your teeth smashed out because the gat happens to be one of the 10% or whatever left hookers..?

What issues that the L85A1 had could have been "sorted out" by issuing a left handed version? And how would duplicating a manufacturing run work out cheaper in the long run? Do you even think about things before you type? The last question was rhetorical.
If course he has.
There has been long and hard thought on the part of many people, about how "bad" the L85 is, was and will be. Nothing will be posted that does not conform to that essential position.

So Del, regardless of the many faults the L85A1 had, which have been in the main sorted out (finally) by the remanufacture of the L85A2: What issues that the L85A1 had could have been "sorted out" by issuing a left handed version? How would duplicating a manufacturing run work out cheaper in the long run? Also, why is ARRSE screwing up my text formatting...[/QUOTE]

Maybe your settings.

Edited to add; maybe not, as my reply didn't come out right !

It cant be mirrored surely because the butt of the rifle is in his left shoulder
The footage has been reversed. There are no left hand SA80s. As I said before watch the footage before the contact starts he is carrying a right handed SA80.

So Del, regardless of the many faults the L85A1 had, which have been in the main sorted out (finally) by the remanufacture of the L85A2: What issues that the L85A1 had could have been "sorted out" by issuing a left handed version? How would duplicating a manufacturing run work out cheaper in the long run? Also, why is ARRSE screwing up my text formatting...
Sorry, I can't throw any light on the whole "if only they did [insert hobby horse here] line about the L85. Much less the specifics about left hand firing. I was originally trained on the rifle, who's name we shall not speak. I was and am of the opinion that the L85 was a thoroughly acceptable weapon, better than what went before it for damn sure, despite the issues that I saw and heard about.
As to left handed firing, how many people are being trained now, have EVER fired a rifle prior to enlistment. That being so, not many will have to have their "bad habits" trained out of them, I would have thought.
I apologise, if I came across in my first post, as someone who supports the nay sayer position.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
we know the basic feed and jam faults were caused by a bad pirate copy of the ar18 working parts, to go lefty it would have to be rethought and redesigned as the plan was for a switchable weapon not just a left hand issue so would have needed a proper design team instead of 99 pence productions inc. I would like to see if the left handed version is more reliable

doing with the ar18 what the sovs an fins did with the AK would have been a simple thing to do (just moving the grip forward) and undoubtedly more reliable but that would have meant paying a share or splitting the work with stirling who would probably have done a better job of it going by the build quality of the small metal gun.

interestingly when we tested the ar18 in 66 it flunked the mud and sand trials - sound familiar?

we know the sa80 was a political decision not a military one so there's little point trying to defend it. its just a shame they bothered with the a2 when they could have just bought new. HK didnt fix it they just lowered the amount of powder in the ammo and made it look more robocop - another political decision as they knew they couldnt sell the old ones to anywhere unless they repealed the UK gun laws and created a domestic market.

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
we know the sa80 was a political decision not a military one so there's little point trying to defend it. its just a shame they bothered with the a2 when they could have just bought new. HK didnt fix it they just lowered the amount of powder in the ammo and made it look more robocop - another political decision as they knew they couldnt sell the old ones to anywhere unless they repealed the UK gun laws and created a domestic market.
Eh?
After various attempts at denial, and years of applying minor fixes that eased some problems but failed to solve the big ones, the Ministry of Defence bowed to the inevitable in 1997. They considered buying the M16 and M4 "off the shelf", but in the end commissioned HK to undertake a thorough revamp of the SA80 (HK was by this time owned by Royal Ordnance, so was in effect a British company - it has since been returned to German control). The changes were expensive (£92m - about 145 million dollars/euros) and comprehensive, as follows:- - internal machining to clear feed and extraction paths- new breech block and bolt- new extractor and ejector with spring- new recoil springs- new firing pin- new cocking handle- entirely new magazine made from pressed steel- new gas plug and cylinder- new hammer- new barrel extension- new barrel (LSW only).
What changes did HK make to make the SA80 look more "Robocop" as you put it?

I remember reading the Men Of Harlech magazine a few years ago and there was a picture of a guy on exercise with a left handed A1.

Il try and dig it out and some how upload it, i was a bit curious.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
all that picatinny forward furniture malarky so they can hang stuff of it to make it look modern :)
Nothing to do with A2 that, they're a Herrick/late Telic addition. We got A2s at 1 Mech just before we went on Telic 4 and they were identical to the A1s other than the mechanical changes HK had made (and the colour coding on some of the parts).

Latest Threads