The SA80 left hand and right hand firing?

Mobile_Infantry said:

This is the online pic.
My two cents (as a German ex-soldier):
- The troopers are just carrying the SA80
- This picture is not mirrored because the beret badge could be seen otherwise.
- I might be wrong but I see the wings on the right arm.

Would be interesting to see the paper pic. Anyone with a scanner ?
The paper pic was completely different, the guy was wearing dessert combats and crouching behind a bank giving return fire.

As for firing left handed I was once shown a way to do it which involved rotating the rifle so that the magazine was next to your chin, therefore the empty cases fell directly to the ground, however it was stressed that this was not to be used unless absolutely neccessary (i.e going round the left hand side of a building).

As for scanning the pic , won't the mods have a heart attack with copywrite e.t.c??

untallguy

Old-Salt
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Guys, I've seen the photo (lads in Afghanistan, wearing deserts etc) in the paper (the hard copy version 'cos I'm old-fashioned like that). The photo has definitely been reversed - not only is the weapon in the left shoulder, the lad's wings and DZ flash are on his left arm as well.

untallguy said:
Given the fact that BeastAppreciationSociety says his wings and DZ flash are on the left arm and all the working parts for the weapon are on the wrong side (I can't find the photo) - I'd go with the view that negative was reversed before printing.
The Daily Mail getting things backwards? Surely not. :wink:

untallguy said:
Guys, I've seen the photo (lads in Afghanistan, wearing deserts etc) in the paper (the hard copy version 'cos I'm old-fashioned like that). The photo has definitely been reversed - not only is the weapon in the left shoulder, the lad's wings and DZ flash are on his left arm as well.
Yep, I saw the hard copy as well and the picture has definitely been reversed.

However I had a colleague who decided to try firing the A2 left handed ("cos I used to do it with the SLR!"). For his troubles he got his cheek ripped open by the cocking handle and a rather hot empty case flying very close across the front of his face. Needless to say he only did it once before reverting to the right shoulder! 8O

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
if you turn the gas off then its possible but you have to cock it each time like not having a bfa on. I'm a lefty along with the other 10% of the population and I could shoot it right as long as I had a susat and they didn't care where the rounds went as I'm missing a chunk of trigger finger and could range target shoot and close up for house work etc.. but couldn't snap shoot worth a damn. they gave me the l96 instead - much better watching the crunchies go to work while you dominate the area :)

There were left handed SA-80's offered to the MOD when they were buying the A2's.

I have here a letter from the MOD - don't ask me why, but I do.

To cut it short it says that they turned down left handed A2's because they wanted any soldier to be able to pick up any weapon on a battlefield and be able to use it. That is straight from the horses mouth. They obviously felt that the benefits of being able to fire lefty were not worth the bother.

This is unfortunate for me as i have a bad right eye, and seen as it can only be used by the right eye, I'm deemed medically unfit for service

Mobile_Infantry said:

This is the online pic.
My two cents (as a German ex-soldier):
- The troopers are just carrying the SA80
- This picture is not mirrored because the beret badge could be seen otherwise.
- I might be wrong but I see the wings on the right arm.

Would be interesting to see the paper pic. Anyone with a scanner ?
Urm surely if it were mirrored you would just see a mirror image and so you would have no chance of seeing his cap badge if it were not in the original pic?

Sorry... its the pedant in me :)

I'm a lefty and now I'm a pretty good shot now because I had to completely learn everything about shooting. It felt completely unnatural at first but it meant that I followed the marksmanship principles to the T and now I'm not to bad at all.

Hope this makes sense to ye!

T C

Fire it from the wrong shoulder and you will be kissing the cocking handle, the old .303 could only be operated from one shoulder, yet every one got used to that.

W.Anchor said:
Fire it from the wrong shoulder and you will be kissing the cocking handle, the old .303 could only be operated from one shoulder, yet every one got used to that.
Not quite true, it could be fired from the left however when you re-cocked it you normally had to remove it from your shoulder. Such as the sniper in Saving Private Ryan does.

Many moons ago we had an american soldier type on attachment with us one summer, some time in the middle of a blank ex night attack he must have tried to fire the rifle left handed, was a loud shout of surprise and pain, and he only did that once, poor sod. Cocking handel in the mush, couple of hot spent cases down the shirt and generally not a happy camper.

Saw a lad do it in the SAT range, claimed to be an ex-tankie....never saw him again funnily enough.

Saw someone do it on a SAT range on an Infantry look at life course. very amusing to the rest of us, he didnt find it so funny

W.Anchor said:
You're not right about the .303, it was quite easy to fire left handed , you just had to master the art of cocking it by putting your left hand over and using your little finger and the heel of your hand to grasp the bolt knob. I know because I was trained that way in the infantry, it was only on the introduction of the SLR that I was offered the option of a discharge or transfer because it was considered that the SLR couldn't safely be fired left handed (although for years in REME it was my personal weapon). The problem is noy left handedness but left vision.

Wearing only soft helmets, Paras were attacked
Oh my you better not let FJ see them badmouthing the Para Lid! :D

Those bullets eject far!!! They always hit the person to the left of you on the back and give you a hot Shudder! Try firing the Martini theier extremelly hot!

RP578 said:
edited to add: I just noticed that the Paras in the picture (which is titled Paras in Afghanistan) are 2 Para and are wearing temperate DPMs. Shurely shome mishtake - ed?
A'stan can get very cold and certain places it's very green - seen a lot of countries wearing green cammies.

However, the paras in that pic do look a little too neat for A'stan.

black--rider said:
Those bullets eject far!!! They always hit the person to the left of you on the back and give you a hot Shudder! Try firing the Martini theier extremelly hot!
Yes indeed, the bullets eject from the muzzle and can go very far indeed.

It is also considered bad form to shoot the people next to you on the range.

I'm intrigued by this hot shudder thing, what exactly does it entail? And does it usually cost extra?

Latest Threads