"It is now a very reliable combat weapon"

"The rifle is not heavy or out of balance"

"As a battle rifle for an infantryman it now appears to be just fine"

Discuss…

TGTW

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
maybe heavy but agree with the other points...

walt_of_the_walts said:
It is reliable. But these days reliability alone doesnt make it a good weapon.

My favourite is the M16A2 and its derivatives. Reliable and easy to handle.
and with more airsoft features eh?

Yeah, you can get the UBGL, red dot, laser, scope, collapsable stock, bipod, vertical foregrip, tac-light, mag clips, tactical pistol grip...walt's dream!

Given the amount of fighting in someone's house that is going on at the moment, I am surprised that there is not more call for a rifle which can actually be fired around the left side of cover properly...

stoatman said:
Given the amount of fighting in someone's house that is going on at the moment, I am surprised that there is not more call for a rifle which can actually be fired around the left side of cover properly...
I think the bullpup design is a ridiculous concept altogether really.

stoatman said:
This is the basic flaw in the SA80's design IMO.

TGTW

the A2 is Starting to show signs of not being as reliable as first thought.

the TMH insert housing has been strengthed to avoid cracking, and now it only cracks in one specific place but more often :lol:

But even after a redesigned version they still seem set upon converting up to 10% of the army to using there right hand and shoulder instead of what comes naturally.

mark1234 said:
the A2 is Starting to show signs of not being as reliable as first thought.

the TMH insert housing has been strengthed to avoid cracking, and now it only cracks in one specific place but more often :lol:

So will we see an A3 that really, really, really will get it right this time? :?

TGTW

Flynn101 said:
But even after a redesigned version they still seem set upon converting up to 10% of the army to using there right hand and shoulder instead of what comes naturally.
The army has never catered for left handers, not even when the odd grenade gets lobbed in the wrong direction by a bloke carring out the correct drills & lobbing it at the control tower:)

A friend of mine has also been making up A2 cocking handles in solid metal for squaddies because the plastic bit cracks and breaks off leaving a tiny little sharp nub with which to operate the weapon.

The fact that all is not rosy in A2 world was laughably predictable, and I hope the MoD lives to regret all those press releases full of glowing praise.

If it was my choice, I would have bought C7's and C8's off-the-shelf like the Dutch and the Danes did.

Come to think of it, if I remember correctly, in the rather dubious MoD reliability trials, the AR 15-type rifle family was represented by the M-16 A2, and not the C7. I wonder why? Perhaps the fact that the C7 is more reliable than the M-16 A2 has something to do with it?

Strange

I am sure that if this was an american website, we would have the septics moaning about the defects in the M16A2 which you only identify from constant/continued use.
Similarly the Danish/Dutch military equivalent websites

Was the SA80 shiite? yes
Is the A2 better. By a long f*cking mark
Is it perfect? Nope - but at least it is better than it was.
Anyway, by 2015 we will have a new weapons system (I believe)
So, luckily, we don't have that many operational commitments at the moment, so it shouldn't matter........

(Dives for cover)

:x The SA80 is garbage! It matters not that the reliability of the design has been improved. The major issue is that the whole concept of the bullpup design is flawed. You cannot fire it from the left shoulder, in an OBUA environment this has considerable consequences that are immediately obvious to anybody remotely switched on.

The SA80 is a garbage bayonnet wpn to boot, it is far too short to be truly effective in this role. My first exposure to military hardware was the mightly SLR 7.62mm. It was an all round vastly superior soldiers wpn. It was hewn from granite and could withstand any amount of squaddie abuse.
It was easy to maintain & clean and did not strip down to a million pieces! KISS was the essence of the design. It was very reliable, a good bayonnet wpn and ideal for clubbing the foe to the ground! It was great to patrol with as it was beautifully balanced to carry.

The combination of robust design, reliability, practicality amd MASSIVE stopping power has earned 'The Big Bang Stick' it's rightful place in the Hall Of Alltime Military Classic Rifles.

Just look how many armies around the globe used/use the SLR/ FN FAL, I rather think that in itself speaks volumes.........

Do a google search on SLR 7.62mm, you will find masses of positive testimony. I am still 'playing' on the military scene and use the SA80, it is an accurate range wpn, but a flawed design. It does not inspire me with confidence, and I have no affection for it at all, the SLR certainly did inspire confidence and I have nothing but praise for the ol' beast!

If SA80 is such a superb piece of kit, where is the stampede of foreign armies looking to purchase it? The proof of the pudding is the number of foreign purchase contracts signed.........

Cheers,

Ped

As a weapon system the SA80 has one major failing that no amount re-engineering will be able to rectify.

The lack of confidence among it's principle users that it is a relable weapon. Even if a2 were perfect there would still be a degree of doubt due to past history, that in itself is reason enough to expedite its replacement.

Surely if the SA80 were a "good" bayonet weapon then there would be at least as many posts whinging about it being too long. Although the continued utility of the bayonet is not lost on me, i would much prefer to enter a building with a weapon the size of the SA80 than the SLR/M16 - when the septics do room clearances they "short stock" the weapon, placing the butt over the shoulder which is quite frankly gash, all in an attempt to make the weapon shorter for cornering. Admittedly this argument in favour of a weapon useful at close quarters particularly in an urban environment is flawed by the rifle's inability to be used from the left shoulder.
As a long term issue 5.56mm is being closely looked at anyway as it doesnt provide the stopping power - if Im correct the Yanks are looking at a variety of larger rounds including 7.62 and 6.8mm Remington SPC. But there have been numerous threads on this topic before, does another one really need to have been started re SA80 - hoofing or crap, discuss?!