The Russians freed the pirates!!

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by codbutt, May 7, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. From Bloomberg:

Russia’s navy released the 10 pirates it captured during a mission to free the crew of an oil tanker seized off the Horn of Africa, the Defense Ministry said.

The lack of international laws specific to this type of crime makes it impossible to press charges, said Alexei Kuznetsov, a spokesman for the ministry in Moscow.

Russian prosecutors said yesterday they intended to bring the pirates to Moscow to stand trial.

Unreal! Even the Russkies have bottled it! Is nobody just up for topping some of these blokes and heaving them into the drink? There won't even be any witnesses!
    I've often wondered why the Special Boat aren't down there offing these clowns - I daresay they'd be strangled by ridiculous RoE too....
  2. its such good news theres several threads on it! ;)
  3. Well...

"Perhaps it's time to go back to the idea of establishing an international court ... Until then, we will have to act the way our forefathers acted when faced with the pirates," - said the Russian president. He also assured that the attackers of the tanker "Moscow University" will be brought to justice. "Of course, we will deal with the pirates to the full extent of naval laws"

Today Defense Ministry stated: "Marine commandos, who captured the pirates , disarmed the criminals and put them in a rubber boat on the scene of the incident. Navigation tools used by the pirates, were confiscated.
    The boat was equiped with a radio beacon signal from which was lost about an hour after release
  4. Not as satisfying as making the pirates dance at the end of a rope, but presumably they're just as dead.
  5. The boat was equiped with a radio beacon signal from which was lost about an hour after release." Because in reality it was a detonator affixed to the rubber tube of the raft. :twisted:
  6. Aye, that's what I thought. :twisted:

Ivan don't fook about!
  7. Uh... chances are the Russians popped a second, more elusive, tracking device on the raft to let the pirates lead them to their support ship...
  8. I was just thinking what's the odds there are a few bangs/abductions/shootings in downtown Eyl once the pirates make it back? Either that or a few unexplained radiological-related deaths in the hospital there in a few days time, something unprovable but nonetheless a bloody great deterrent for the next ones who'd chance it!

Of course brassing them up or leaving them a few hundred miles out to sea on a lilo achieves the same effect.

Fair one to the Russians, they've played a good hand here - absolute deterrent against taking Russian flagged ships to the Somalis now, they shouldn't have to worry of too many more attacks after word of this gets about, meanwhile other countries (read 'us') get more pirates flocking to their registered vessels seeing as they are now the lower risk option. And in the event that someone else is daft enough to chance it against a Russian vessel again, they simply repeat the procedure - job jobbed.
  9. the chances the Somalis take the hint is slim if those pirates made it to shore unlikely.
    Ivan probably made sure the raft had a slow puncture :twisted:
    your not dealing with very organised gangs they've attacked frigates before :?
  10. Apparently, the reason they were not brought for trial to Moscow was their claim that they themselves were hostages forced by real pirats to take the tanker on their behalf (very creative!).

So the chances of them being brought to justice by following current laws were slim...
  11. Is it just me - or are there really NO links to any of the quotes from Bloomberg or Dom O'Voy's Russian Defence Ministry.

Yes I could look it up my self - but as a matter of good manners (and being convincing) . . .

Don't get me wrong, I never thought I'd see the day when I felt like celebrating a vicious act of revenge by an organ of Putin's Russian state apparatus . . . . but on the other hand . . . .