The Russians are coming!

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Mr_Fingerz, Aug 11, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

Well maybe not, but they are building up their military in an attempt to counter the stagnation of the past 20 years.

Putin promises to boost Russian air force | World news | The Guardian (c) Y Grauniad.

The interesting figures with regards to the airforce are:

600 new combat planes and 1000 new helicopters (types not defined) by 2020. There will be 180 aircraft delivered this year.

2. All they need to do now is stop drinking vodka and they'll be able to fly them!

3. Mr_Fingerz

I was under the impression that their (RuAF) tipple of choice was de-icer.

4. ..........or coolant with a lemonade top.

Hang on, that was the Romanians.

5. Boot polish I heard. Spread it on a slice of bread and it sort of filters through, leaving one side soaked in an eminently quaffable solvent while the black stuff sticks to the other side.

Never underestimate the ingenuity of the world's most raging alcoholics.

6. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I was taught that by a Fijian about 30 years ago!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk

7. I saw a Russian guy brew tea once, to sober up. Put in a shed load of black tea into a kettle with a liter of water, boil down until it's the consistency of tar, sip neat. Fecking horrible.

8. Mr_Fingerz

Well you live and learn.

Excellent thread derailment chaps - and to think I helped to derail my own thread.

Anyway back on track. If they're churning out nearly 90 fighters a year will they (a) be any good ? and (b) suffer from quality control issues (if the manufacturing staff are all raging alchies) ?

9. When I went to Ukraine some months back, the locals said they wanted to either buy Russian or European products because of the higher quality of product and better manufacturing. Which surprised me, I've got to be honest. Apparently they weren't so keen on Chinese stuff.

10. Mr_Fingerz

That surprises me. The russian rather than european stuff. All of the russian stuff that I've seen in the past has been a bit rough and ready (with the exception of Skonda watches).

They'll buy chinese when they want cheap knock-offs of i-phones/i-pads and other high-end electronic goods.

11. Wish lists are great.
    Where will the money come from?
    Natural gas: Shale of the century | The Economist
    Not from there then... The shock waves of America's gas boom are being felt elsewhere. Development of Russia's vast Shtokman gasfield, in the Barents Sea—a $40 billion project which was intended to supply America with LNG—has stalled.

The slow move away from oil will hurt them too, but the ability to deleverage Europe and friendly States from the Russian yoke of gas supply will surely hurt the Kremlin.

As mentioned above in the thread, how will they improve the quality of all levels of their Armed Forces?
    Have they learnt to delegate?
    Have they learnt to empower JNCOs with decision making powers?

12. Why should they, they've been doing okay so far. ;-)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Can you post a YouTube vid showing us how to do the boot polish thing please?

• Like Like x 1
  14. I call derail. Is this the Naafi? ROPS please for the offender if proven - this is an important theme if not Thread, little Englanders many of you may be, try being cold, at minus 20 for a few days. S.D. if you are a Royal... you are still a cnut for derailing the thread.