The Running Arrse - Event reports

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by Goatman, Nov 22, 2011.

Arrse Running is .....

Poll closed Jan 16, 2012.
  1. the way ahead. Lemme tell you about MY race...

10 vote(s)
  2. Usually controllable with any ?

4 vote(s)
  3. Ok, but be serious...tarmac is for WUSSES

4 vote(s)
  4. A good excuse for extended drinking....prost!

3 vote(s)

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

For Arrsers who take part in the odd 10K, Half or prestigious running event ( The Nun Run, Santa Dash, Christmas Pudding Plod etc) whilst many will be familiar with the excellent Runners World website Events pages some will not.

Thought it might be handy for Arrse readers to reach for previous experience by fellow Arrse runners....or not....suit yourself.

To start off I just coughed, whinged and hobbled around the Gosport Half Marathon. My impressions :

( yes, as cribbed from Runners World but with some Arrse specific add-ons)

Scenery - she had a lovely bum but was too quick for me ...not too many gronks
    PB potential - High, flat as you like.....but you need to have trained a bit
    Atmosphere - Uplifting....sun shone, the bloke with the PA wasn't too annoying and the samba band made me smile
    Organisation - slick.....not too far from seafront car parking and plenty of loos ....even the baggage pick up worked. Chip timing.
    Value - It didn't make my eyes water......paid a tenner for the Race T-shirt tho
    Beginner-friendliness - Averagely okay-ish ...I wouldn't have been put off for life, friendly and not too many speed snakes smelling of linament

Ease of Access: Gosport is a bugger if you don't know your way . the Start is next to Browndown Camp which is still red-signed. TomTom is your friend.
    Service Accom nearby ? : Both HMS Daedalus and Browndown are now closed. You might get an overnight in Fort Blockhouse (33 Field hosp) or try HMS Sultan which is about 2 miles away .
    Post-race crawl potential: - Fair to good...nearest pub is the Seahorse, Lee On Solent has The Ship and a few other backstreet locations. Wetherspoons in Gosport High Street (The Star) Alternatively take the ferry over to Gunwharf Quay and the world is your huitre.

Race report for the hard of hearing:
    Summary : worth the trip, if only for the goody bag !

2. Good idea. I did the Gosport race as well so wont go into any great lengths as you have already covered it. Well organised, fast course (even if the trip along the seafront starts to feel like someone has nicked the 12 mile marker) although a little boring... but that's road racing I guess :) Walked away with a PB and a lump of cake so can't complain.
  3. Lump of cake? Damn....missed out on that one!
  4. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Sneak - very kind of you....I suspect you were changed and on your way home by the time I staggered bleating over the Finish line :)

Glad to hear the Running Arrse Events service is a not bad idea....I look fwd to hearing whether the Grim is any good and how to train for The Comrades in due course !

( and I have to say J-D, the lump of cake was colossal.....snarff!)

For those who took part pics at Martin Lewis Photographer

- he was only at one point on the course it seems...
  5. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

So.....anyone doing an event this weekend ?

I'll make it easy for you:

PB potential
    Ease of Access:
    Service Accom nearby ?
    Post-race crawl potential
  6. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

...what event did you take part in weekend gone?

Give us the inside track !
  7. Last race of 2011 for me this morning, Issy-les-Moulineaux Corrida de Noël 10k Santa Run! Freezing cold and steep hills but a bottle of Bordeaux for every finisher then a cup of gluhwein! The baggy trousers kept falling down and the fluff from the beard was going up my nose but at least I was warmer than the 2 guys running naked with a sledge .... :rendeer:

Place 780/2553 Time 57:08 Category VetF2 14/91

:santa: :santa: :santa: :santa:
  8. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

hee good effort FMP !

I did the Southampton Santa Run last year...the damn beard does get in the way...will post pic if you will...cor what people will do for a pint of claret !

(ho ho ho !)

Frohlich Weinacht alles :santa:
  9. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

( I'm guessing the Christmas wind-up/down has started......<tumbleweed>......)

Spent a little while thinking about the events I fancy doing next year - what have YOU got planned?

Races I will probably look at in 2012, Deus Vult ...PROB POSS /FANCY ???......all contingent on my Zimmer frame holding out for ONE MORE SEASON .....

Jan - Romsey Five

Feb - Winchester 10K - Longleat 10K

March - Dorney Lake Duathlon Votwo - USN Triathlon Events - CONISTON 14 The Coniston 14 race registration page, join the race here! ??!!?? ( gwan, g'wan,go ON!!)

April - FULLER'S THAMES TOWPATH 10 - BUPA London 10K (for Combat Stress)

May - Sister Act - The Nun Run London- RW Forest of Dean Trail 10K -

June - D-Day 10K

July - Combat Stress London 10K

Aug - Milland Valley Trail Race

Sept - SSAFA RIDE OF BRITAIN - New Forest Half/Marathon???

Oct - Great South Run - Royal Parks Half - London

November - Cornish Marathon ????? / The Grim

December - Santa Run Portsmouth

Anyone done these ? Be interested to see your wish-list - which I'm sure is much more exotic ;-)
  10. The start/finish is at John Ruskin School... A place I have never been so relieved to see after a full night and day of running. The Coniston 14 does look like a good race though, I can recommend the river next to The Bull pub for an ice bath (and a beer!) afterwards and could nip out onto the fells for a recovery run on the Sunday! Unfortunately it is a little close to another race for me.

My main races for 2012 are :
    Mar - Lightning 12 hour
    Apr - London Marathon
    Jun - Dartmoor Discovery
    Jul - Lakeland 100
    Aug - North Downs Way 50
    Oct - Caesars Camp 50
  11. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Blimey Sneak....that is one OTT campaign you have planned !

For the rest of us mortals - anyone doing a Boxing Day 10K this year ? :santa:
  12. Pob02

Pob02 War Hero Book Reviewer

Geneva Escalade

Scenery: Sadly different categories run at differnt times of the day, so the only talent to look at were in the crowd. But if you like looking at cobbled streets, and old buildings, as you run then it is quite pleasant.

PB potential: As you may guess from the name this ismainly uphill . .PBs not likely, and also quite crowded with a few twists and turns on the route.

Atmosphere: Considering the Swiss are not exactly well known for being the life of the party,the atmosphere is great,lots of cheering going on (despite the rain), and a couple of bands playing.

Organisation :Very good, but you would expect this in Switzerland.

Value: work paid . .excellent value!

Beginner-friendliness : Open to all levels and all ages. There is even a walking version, and a fancy-dress run (called the Marmite).

Ease of Access: 1-3 laps (depending on category) of Geneva old town. Anybody who knows geneva will know howeasy it is to get around.

Service Accom nearby ? No

Post-race crawl potential : Not great, really not the best place in the world for on the pop, but get a group of you, and there are food/drink tents there. If lucky (unlike this year) and some early snow,then geneva is an ideal base for popping off to do some skiing (lots of places within 1 - 2 hrs drive.
  13. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Thanks for that PoB -nice one !

( I got sent an invite for the Geneva Marathon...looked fab, but I suspect you need a UN salary to go with the aspiration !)
  14. Pob02

Pob02 War Hero Book Reviewer

Actually only 90 CHF to enter, or 60 CHF for the half-marathon . .
  15. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

coo! spooky is that...this landed in my inbox this am.....
    hee - buy your sprogs and Erin Dawes a running weekend in Geneva for Christmas ! Makes all kinds of sense to me :thumright:

Frohliche Weinacht Als !