The Royal Welsh

Has anyone on here had much experience with the royal welsh or been in them. I know this is a broad question but I heard they are recruiting now so I suppose if I was to apply now I would get in pretty fast if everthing was ok. Im mostly intrested in the 1st battalion as light role. Also will they be going out to Afghan again before its over?

yup I work with:

Williams 45,56,79,02,33,54, 67,88,83, Jones 12, 45, 67, 78, 94, 21, Davis 23, 45, 67,34,56,77,72 34, Evans 23, 45, 56, 77, 56,65 and a sheep..............tossers to a man

Has anyone on here had much experience with the royal welsh or been in them. I know this is a broad question but I heard they are recruiting now so I suppose if I was to apply now I would get in pretty fast if everthing was ok. Im mostly intrested in the 1st battalion as light role. Also will they be going out to Afghan again before its over?
I think that this is their last tour.

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
yup I work with:

Williams 45,56,79,02,33,54, 67,88,83, Jones 12, 45, 67, 78, 94, 21, Davis 23, 45, 67,34,56,77,72 34, Evans 23, 45, 56, 77, 56,65 and a sheep..............tossers to a man
And exactly how long have you been a professionally qualified sais cont?

In news reports lately Ive read about the defence cuts and how the Paras, Gurkhas etc are safe but some other infantry regiments like the Royal Welsh are at risk of amalgamation or just being cut all together. Does anyone know if theres any truth in this as I thought the Royal Welsh was only formed in 2006 and what or who would the Royal Welsh be merged with?

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
In news reports lately Ive read about the defence cuts and how the Paras, Gurkhas etc are safe but some other infantry regiments like the Royal Welsh are at risk of amalgamation or just being cut all together. Does anyone know if theres any truth in this as I thought the Royal Welsh was only formed in 2006 and what or who would the Royal Welsh be merged with?
It would be politically very difficult for the Govt to do away with either of the "Welsh" named infantry or cavalry regiments. However, they have in the past killed off 22 Regt RA (The Welsh Gunners) only to pass the moniker onto another regiment. So you can expect 4th Bn Mercian (Royal Welch Regiment & Royal Welsh Fusiliers) Regt (or somesuch) coming to a garrison near you in 2013.

My section commander at Catterick in '97 was RWF, top guy, thoroughly professional.

With regard to amalgamations, the QDG's are under threat and they are the Welsh Cavalry regiment so to lose three Welsh units would (I suspect) be unacceptable. If the two non wooden top regiments are amalgamated then they would have to join the Mercians and I don't think that would work politically.

Sealand is an RAF establishment full of civvies, the closest The Royal welsh will get to it is probably the ranges over the road. Royal Welsh are at The Dale Barracks which is not far from the main hospital and Chester zoo.