The Royal Marines no longer needed?

Will the LHD be manned by Andrew or RFA and as we have ordered new Frigates (I think) will we need more or can we make do as we probably wont have the crews anyway?
I would imagine that it would be RN. LHDs are more first/second wave so more likely to be in danger. They have the crew and redundancy to deal with damage and stay at a higher tempo for longer. When the area is secured is when an LSD(A) is meant to rock up and discharge logs and follow up forces onto the beach.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

ugly

LE
Cheers mucker, you may yet need those bayonets!

Cheers mucker, you may yet need those bayonets!
They are sadly left at home. Its a genuinely curious question what will happen with RN/RFA numbers and operating models in the future.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

ugly

LE
I would imagine that it would be RN. LHDs are more first/second wave so more likely to be in danger
Hang on, second wave? have we got enough for a second wave?

LHDs are the worst of both worlds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LHDs are the worst of both worlds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The USN/USMC seem keen on then - surely docking down causes problems with regards to aviation? Also a ship only has a finite internal volume, so the well dock competes with the hangar?

Better to build LPDs with a large hangar - like Albion and Bulwark were originally meant to have?

Britain must 'show greater ambition' in Arctic security says report

Arctic warfare has 3 Cdo Bde and LPDs (and Commando Helicopter Force) written all over it. Defending the northern flank of NATO was the Cold War role of the UK/NL amphibious force. NATO is also facing threats at the southern flank, where naval presence and amphibious exercises can achieve both deterrence and reassurance, as well as training and defence diplomacy.

Last edited:

Arctic warfare has 3 Cdo Bde and LPDs written all over it. Defending the northern flank of NATO was the Cold War role of the UK/NL amphibious force. NATO is also facing threats at the southern flank, where naval presence and amphibious exercises can achieve both deterrence and reassurance, as well as training and defence diplomacy.
Whats that you say.....Russians looming on the Northern Flank...Its OK any old fish and chip light inf foot sloggers from East Anglia will have us covered

It takes years to grow the requisite ML tash

Arctic warfare has 3 Cdo Bde and LPDs (and Commando Helicopter Force) written all over it. Defending the northern flank of NATO was the Cold War role of the UK/NL amphibious force. NATO is also facing threats at the southern flank, where naval presence and amphibious exercises can achieve both deterrence and reassurance, as well as training and defence diplomacy.
Were the Norwegian Marines integrated into that structure?

I'll volunteer to do watch on, stop on on our Northern flank if anyone can sort me out a Norrona Recon jacket and pants get up for free

Go on, tell us, I know you're dying to...
No idea. Watch the ML course posted on Youtube, apparently they knew they were going to be captured but decided to 'debus' smacking the crap out of everyone around them including some F**king Viking of a bloke who only stopped trying to capture them when they batted his head with the butt of an SLR.

The story goes that all was sun and light in the Mess after EndEx.

On a trekkabout at the moment with bad internet connection and not much time - will try to find the link later.

Who were the ML training with when they famously smacked a Norgie over the head with an SLR... allegedly?
One of these, you mean:

1534431252795.png

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
Makes me laugh every time i see that series, one of the best military documentaries ever made! They did a follow up ten years or so later i think showing what they have been up to since, anyone know the name or a link to it?

Makes me laugh every time i see that series, one of the best military documentaries ever made! They did a follow up ten years or so later i think showing what they have been up to since, anyone know the name or a link to it?
Looked for it but never found it.