The Royal Marines Annual Budget.

Mölders 1

Clanker
Can anyone on ARRSE please enlighten me as to how much the R.M. Annnual Budget is (approximately)?

I do know that the R.M. are officially a branch of the Royal Navy.

I ask this because according to the MarineCorpsTimes the U.S.M.C. are letting go 2000+ Marines and are retiring some of their older equipment and their Budget for the Fiscal Year is $46 Billion.

Is the Defence Budget Money running out.......?

Last edited:
Can anyone on ARRSE please enlighten me as to how much the R.M. Annnual Budget is (approximately)?

I do know that the R.M. are officially a branch of the Royal Navy.

I ask this because according to the MarineCorpsTimes the U.S.M.C. are letting go 2000+ Marines and are retiring some of their older equipment and their Budget for the Fiscal Year is $46 Billion.

Is the Defence Budget Money running out.......?
Which budget are you asking is running out, USMC, or RM?

There is no such thing as a "Royal Marines budget" - there is a Naval Service budget, part of which CGRM will be a delegated budget holder. But he is not responsible for all RM, nor is he responsible for everything the Corps does.

ask this because according to the MarineCorpsTimes the U.S.M.C. are letting go 2000+ Marines and are retiring some of their older equipment and their Budget for the Fiscal Year is $46 Billion.
The USMC are about as similar to the RM as apples are to pears.

The USMC are choosing to reduce headcount by a small amount (~1%) - from historically high levels driven by extended land punch ups in Iraq and Afghamistan - in order to recapitalise some of their equipment. Compared to Royal, they have a massive and expensive equipment inventory some of which needs replacing and is not cheap (see F35B, CH53K, AAV etc).

Royal has a slightly less expensive inventory...

lbd.jpg

The USMC are choosing to reduce headcount by a small amount (~1%) - from historically high levels driven by extended land punch ups in Iraq and Afghamistan - in order to recapitalise some of their equipment. Compared to Royal, they have a massive and expensive equipment inventory some of which needs replacing and is not cheap (see F35B, CH53K, AAV etc).

View attachment 453648
So it is officially heels and not flatties now. And sleeves down. Good to see standards are being maintained.

Are those what they mean by hero sleeves? Just asking for an old guy

Last edited:

Mölders 1

Clanker

View attachment 453648
Just a thought but if the U.S.M.C. cannot make ends meet Budget Wise what chance do Britain's Armed Forces have?

Just a thought but if the U.S.M.C. cannot make ends meet Budget Wise what chance do Britain's Armed Forces have?
The thing is the USMC can make ends meet, not sure why you’re interpreting the troop cuts as a shortfall.

Mölders 1

Clanker
The thing is the USMC can make ends meet, not sure why you’re interpreting the troop cuts as a shortfall.
The U.S.M.C. are cutting 2000+ Marines to free up money for new Training Capabilities and are retiring some of their legacy equipment.

The Semper Highs will reduce certain things like armor which are harder to transport, and tube artillery which are less survivable against a near peer threat. They can also boot the profile warriors, and save money. Personal costs are eating the American military’s lunch.

Mölders 1

Clanker
The Semper Highs will reduce certain things like armor which are harder to transport, and tube artillery which are less survivable against a near peer threat. They can also boot the profile warriors, and save money. Personal costs are eating the American military’s lunch.
Thank You Mate.
You saw where l am coming from.

View attachment 453648
You need to blur the face in that pic.
He's SBS these days.
Good lad is Dave.

Mölders 1

Clanker
The budget climate does not allow for increasing end strength and modernization. It will be interesting to see the upcoming budgets for your forces. They will determine much.
My fear is that Britain's Forces will be trading people for new equipment again.
(The Royal Navy traded in numerous Warships and Personel to protect it's 2 new Carriers, while the R.A.F. cut it's own throat to safeguard the Typhoon).

My fear is that Britain's Forces will be trading people for new equipment again.
(The Royal Navy traded in numerous Warships and Personel to protect it's 2 new Carriers, while the R.A.F. cut it's own throat to safeguard the Typhoon).
Which leads to the problem of not having enough of anything to cover your commitments and overstretch as seen this past summer.

I think you'll find it's not that they can't make ends meet, rather they've made a priorities choice.

Which has absolutely nothing to do with the RM - or more correctly - naval service budget in the UK. It may have escaped your notice, but one is a large all arms organisation in the US, the other is essentially a light infantry raiding force in the UK.

Do they not do apples & pears comparisons where you come from?

Latest Threads