The Royal Marines amphibious role ?

Yokel

LE
Profound!

Hopefully the planners will remember that it is not just NATO - the UK also has vital national interest outside of the NATO area, such as in the South Atlantic, or the Middle East. The Atlantic (including North and Norwegian seas, the Baltic, and the Mediterranean), and the areas covered by Coalition Maritime Forces, are not exactly small.

All are suited to amphibious capabilities and carriers!

Profound!

Hopefully the planners will remember that it is not just NATO - the UK also has vital national interest outside of the NATO area, such as in the South Atlantic, or the Middle East. The Atlantic (including North and Norwegian seas, the Baltic, and the Mediterranean), and the areas covered by Coalition Maritime Forces, are not exactly small.

All are suited to amphibious capabilities and carriers!
It doesn't matter what the planners think or where our 'vital' interests are; the UK does not have enough assets to discharge what were formerly considered standing national tasks simultaneously with essential NATO tasks.

Regards,
MM

It doesn't matter what the planners think or where our 'vital' interests are; the UK does not have enough assets to discharge what were formerly considered standing national tasks simultaneously with essential NATO tasks.

Regards,
MM
Some cracking bands though...

Yokel

LE
M_M

I meant things like Kipion! Also you forgot RN/RAF manpower limiting the number of ships and aircraft that can be deployed!

a_t_g

Is that your cat amongst those pigeons?

Bands? Manpower? I seem to remember someone talking about taking the personnel numbers from bands, and from long staff college courses, and using it to increase capability at zero cost to the taxpayer.

Last edited:

Yokel

LE
News from DSEI:

1. COMATG will become COMLSG.

2. We (RN/RM) are looking to innovate.

I wonder if MoD wish they had not canned PASCAT? Also air lubrication is named as a possible method of reducing the Carbon footprint of shipping, and this would have got the technology going....

3. The RN/RM are responding the the A2/AD challenge:

Cdre Parkin commanded 44 ships from 9 different nations including NATO and non-NATO vessels during #BalticProtector exercises this year.

News from DSEI:

1. COMATG will become COMLSG.

2. We (RN/RM) are looking to innovate.

I wonder if MoD wish they had not canned PASCAT? Also air lubrication is named as a possible method of reducing the Carbon footprint of shipping, and this would have got the technology going....

3. The RN/RM are responding the the A2/AD challenge:

Cdre Parkin commanded 44 ships from 9 different nations including NATO and non-NATO vessels during #BalticProtector exercises this year.
Why, oh why, do otherwise normal, intelligent and capable people think that speaking complete and utter gobbledygook makes them look intelligent?

Yokel

LE
Why, oh why, do otherwise normal, intelligent and capable people think that speaking complete and utter gobbledygook makes them look intelligent?
Who exactly are you referring to and what exactly do you think is gobbledygook?

COMATG/COMLSG name change?

Information denied environment - SATCOM denial, jamming and interference across the EM spectrum,

Area Access Denial (also known as A2/D2 - Anti Access and Area Denial) = long range anti ship missiles and long range SAMs.

Who exactly are you referring to and what exactly do you think is gobbledygook?

COMATG/COMLSG name change?

Information denied environment - SATCOM denial, jamming and interference across the EM spectrum,

Area Access Denial (also known as A2/D2 - Anti Access and Area Denial) = long range anti ship missiles and long range SAMs.
Thanks for coming out with even more

Yokel

LE
Thanks for coming out with even more
Surely you understand 'Satellite Communications denial', 'Electromagnetic Spectrum jamming', and 'Surface to Air Missile'? Surely you are not someone like the SO2 who thinks common acronyms need to be spelled out? No Sir, I am sure the Commodore knows what PWO stands for.

If you do not understand the terms used, then perhaps you are not the target audience?

Surely you understand 'Satellite Communications denial', 'Electromagnetic Spectrum jamming', and 'Surface to Air Missile'? Surely you are not someone like the SO2 who thinks common acronyms need to be spelled out? No Sir, I am sure the Commodore knows what PWO stands for.

If you do not understand the terms used, then perhaps you are not the target audience?
Stop being so pompous please.
It is a particular quirk of the military to get excited about new buzzwords which the rest of the world considers ridiculous. Absolutely no need for most of it. As these were twitter announcements they were the 'target audience' was the whole internet, not just self obsessed RN Reservists.
If you need to talk nonsense at least keep it in house.

Yokel

LE
Surely the target audience was industry and partners from other nations' arrmed forces? I wonder if someone were to look through your posts looking for jargon and buzzwords, would they find anything?

Surely the target audience was industry and partners from other nations' arrmed forces? I wonder if someone were to look through your posts looking for jargon and buzzwords, would they find anything?
We all use them but do not tend to say them one after another in an attempt to construct a sentence. Once on Twitter, it belongs to the world :)

Some interesting people posting on that feed

And you. I was going to reply pointing out the fact that Twitter restrict the number of characters which may be used in an individual tweet, and that the sensible thing to do is to abbreviate where possible, making the use of jargon and MLAs the correct course of action where they are easily understood by the intended audience. But you probably know that.

And you. I was going to reply pointing out the fact that Twitter restrict the number of characters which may be used in an individual tweet, and that the sensible thing to do is to abbreviate where possible, making the use of jargon and MLAs the correct course of action where they are easily understood by the intended audience. But you probably know that.
Yes I do but you shouldn't follow that strategy if it makes you look or sound stupid.

Latest Threads