The Royal Jersey Militia

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
#2
There was a chap from Royal Jersey Militia on my Sandhurst course in 1989. Italian name - family run a hotel. I can't remember his name and would not mention it if I could but is he still soldiering on?
 
#3
I remember a little while back that one of the politicos from Jersey was trying to bin the Militia due to its cost (think it cost about a million a year or something like that). Did he get anywhere or was he quite rightly told to poke off?
 
#4
BuggerAll said:
There was a chap from Royal Jersey Militia on my Sandhurst course in 1989. Italian name - family run a hotel. I can't remember his name and would not mention it if I could but is he still soldiering on?
Good question ... PM please!
 
#5
BuggerAll - he's left now.

Very nice bloke actually - never passed up an opportunity to let everyone know that he was from Jersey...even kept his Jersey plates on!
 
#6
The-Lord-Flasheart said:
I remember a little while back that one of the politicos from Jersey was trying to bin the Militia due to its cost (think it cost about a million a year or something like that). Did he get anywhere or was he quite rightly told to poke off?
IIRC, the politico in question is:

a. Barking mad, after a life of nothing but politics.

b. The Militia survived. He wanted one-legged single-parent black lesbian groups instead [or something like that]. :wink:

There was an exciting discussion as to whether we should operate a minesweeper instead of RE. An SAR helicopter was also considered as another way of burning money.

I think the RE are just the job, personally. They are doing ops, are available for MACP if needed and look super on parade! :wink:
 
#7
I think it would be a great shame if the Militia got binned - and you could say the same about a great many other small units.

IMHO it's part of what sets us apart from other Armies - we have traditions, they have...
 
#8
blue_sophist said:
The-Lord-Flasheart said:
I remember a little while back that one of the politicos from Jersey was trying to bin the Militia due to its cost (think it cost about a million a year or something like that). Did he get anywhere or was he quite rightly told to poke off?
IIRC, the politico in question is:

a. Barking mad, after a life of nothing but politics.

b. The Militia survived. He wanted one-legged single-parent black lesbian groups instead [or something like that]. :wink:

There was an exciting discussion as to whether we should operate a minesweeper instead of RE. An SAR helicopter was also considered as another way of burning money.

I think the RE are just the job, personally. They are doing ops, are available for MACP if needed and look super on parade! :wink:

Glad to hear the feckwit never got his way.

We would quite often give the RE a hand if we were 'in the area'. We had a great relationship with the island due to one of our former OCs being a Jersey man. Only a couple of years ago, we took two Lynx down and ferried the BBC and RE to a tiny group of rocks a few miles off the island so they could refurb some fishermans cottages. All a PR stunt to pish the French off I think as they still try and lay claim to them. :)


We quite often use Jersey as an overnight stop off if we are en route to Le Luc to do a bit of drinking on the beach...I mean mountain flying.

One bizarre thing is there are no take aways open in the evening so we had to go to the secret back door of the bakeries to get a pie after falling out of the bars. :D
 
#9
Flash, it's all modern go-go now. Clubs open until 0200, drunken assaults, fights with Police ... getting more like UK by the minute!!
Today's paper ... 18yo kid gets a [used] car for Birthday/Christmas [same date]. Torched last night. Good, eh?

Conscript them into the Militia, like they used to in "the old days" ... that's the way to teach them!!

By the code of 1771 there was compulsory service for all males between the ages of 17-35 and youths between 15-17 had to drill once a week. At this time there was one regiment of artillery, one of cavalry and six battalions of infantry in addition to the regular troops in the castles.


Happy New Year. :roll:
 
#10
Having been in Engr Regt that they were in before they got moved to the Royal Mon(g)s they were a good set of guys and on the Sunday morning waiting around for testing on modules we'd always ask them to tell us more Jersey tales about how good life was on the islands.

On the other side ..........
But there was always the 'F**** ing Jersey' on a weekend, they'd leave early because of flights, 350 still remembered having to repack the MGOB pallet.

They'd turn up late on a Friday night never in rig, so the 'English' Sqns would cop for guard and then they would never get the number of Saturday night guards they ought to to 'even it up'.

No point in complaining, if I wanted the perks of being a French Squadron I'd have joined the French reserves. Still the French inflence shows -through they were ace at reserve demolitions, not to hot at going forwards.

Having lit the fuse retire to a safe distance, preferably behind hard cover.

Wish we still worked with them in all honesty, hope life is going well with the Royal Mongs -
"We're the oldest unit in the TA"
"No we're the oldest unit the TA"
Mess nights must fly by.
 
#11
The-Lord-Flasheart said:
blue_sophist said:
The-Lord-Flasheart said:
I remember a little while back that one of the politicos from Jersey was trying to bin the Militia due to its cost (think it cost about a million a year or something like that). Did he get anywhere or was he quite rightly told to poke off?
IIRC, the politico in question is:

a. Barking mad, after a life of nothing but politics.

b. The Militia survived. He wanted one-legged single-parent black lesbian groups instead [or something like that]. :wink:

There was an exciting discussion as to whether we should operate a minesweeper instead of RE. An SAR helicopter was also considered as another way of burning money.

I think the RE are just the job, personally. They are doing ops, are available for MACP if needed and look super on parade! :wink:

Glad to hear the feckwit never got his way.

We would quite often give the RE a hand if we were 'in the area'. We had a great relationship with the island due to one of our former OCs being a Jersey man. Only a couple of years ago, we took two Lynx down and ferried the BBC and RE to a tiny group of rocks a few miles off the island so they could refurb some fishermans cottages. All a PR stunt to pish the French off I think as they still try and lay claim to them. :)


We quite often use Jersey as an overnight stop off if we are en route to Le Luc to do a bit of drinking on the beach...I mean mountain flying.

One bizarre thing is there are no take aways open in the evening so we had to go to the secret back door of the bakeries to get a pie after falling out of the bars. :D
Great fun - we did static displays for the airshow and a bit of worthy local work to boot. On one occasion (I wasn't there) we underslung some guns from underneath a cliff back up to the gun positions as a part of the restoration project.

We got the Bailiff's Seal as a Squadron and it was a great little parade in St H. Top place.

As for the Fd Sqn - my personal jury is out. I found the OC and a few others a bit chippy and unwelcoming to visitors. I'd also heard that there was serious thought about binning the Fd Sqn owing to the fact that there were no volunteers for Telic and quite a lot of wriggling too. The feeling was that that sort of enthusiasm wasn't quite worth the cash.
 
#12
Victorian_Major said:
The-Lord-Flasheart said:
blue_sophist said:
The-Lord-Flasheart said:
I remember a little while back that one of the politicos from Jersey was trying to bin the Militia due to its cost (think it cost about a million a year or something like that). Did he get anywhere or was he quite rightly told to poke off?
IIRC, the politico in question is:
a. Barking mad, after a life of nothing but politics.
b. The Militia survived. He wanted one-legged single-parent black lesbian groups instead [or something like that]. :wink:
There was an exciting discussion as to whether we should operate a minesweeper instead of RE. An SAR helicopter was also considered as another way of burning money.
I think the RE are just the job, personally. They are doing ops, are available for MACP if needed and look super on parade! :wink:
Glad to hear the feckwit never got his way.
We would quite often give the RE a hand if we were 'in the area'. We had a great relationship with the island due to one of our former OCs being a Jersey man. Only a couple of years ago, we took two Lynx down and ferried the BBC and RE to a tiny group of rocks a few miles off the island so they could refurb some fishermans cottages. All a PR stunt to pish the French off I think as they still try and lay claim to them. :)
We quite often use Jersey as an overnight stop off if we are en route to Le Luc to do a bit of drinking on the beach...I mean mountain flying.
One bizarre thing is there are no take aways open in the evening so we had to go to the secret back door of the bakeries to get a pie after falling out of the bars. :D
Great fun - we did static displays for the airshow and a bit of worthy local work to boot. On one occasion (I wasn't there) we underslung some guns from underneath a cliff back up to the gun positions as a part of the restoration project.
We got the Bailiff's Seal as a Squadron and it was a great little parade in St H. Top place.
As for the Fd Sqn - my personal jury is out. I found the OC and a few others a bit chippy and unwelcoming to visitors. I'd also heard that there was serious thought about binning the Fd Sqn owing to the fact that there were no volunteers for Telic and quite a lot of wriggling too. The feeling was that that sort of enthusiasm wasn't quite worth the cash.
Never mind, VM, it's Jersey's cash :wink:
Our small contribution to the Defence of the Realm, including the 7 guys going to/already in IQ.
 
#13
blue_sophist said:
Flash, it's all modern go-go now. Clubs open until 0200, drunken assaults, fights with Police ... getting more like UK by the minute!!
Today's paper ... 18yo kid gets a [used] car for Birthday/Christmas [same date]. Torched last night. Good, eh?

[b]Conscript them into the Militia, like they used to in "the old days" ... that's the way to teach them!![/b]
By the code of 1771 there was compulsory service for all males between the ages of 17-35 and youths between 15-17 had to drill once a week. At this time there was one regiment of artillery, one of cavalry and six battalions of infantry in addition to the regular troops in the castles.


Happy New Year. :roll:
Happy New Year all.....

My G.dad was in the R.J.Militia, used to go to Sunday Church parades,
One Sunday in 1917 at age 16 They marched down to the Harbour and onto a boat for France, My G.G. Gran thought he had run away from home and did not hear from him again until end of ex. 1918... my g.dad was a typical Jersey winger. complained about almost everything, one day he complained about going over the TOP , Was strapped to a field gun for 48 hours on bread and water, He never complained again, was wounded twice carried the bullets around inside him for about seventy years, never ever did speak about his time in the RJM, until about a month before he died,
Just thought i´m mention it in passing...
 
#15
There was a fit chick from The Royal Jersey Militia on my CMSR, July 2006.

Edit, wrong year :oops:
 
#16
This last weekend the Island celebrated the anniversary of The Battle of Jersey, the last battle on British soil (6 Jan 1781) fought by the oldest extant Unit of the British Army (founded c. 1337). :wink:


The Societe Jersiase is also trying to raise funds to acquire the 5th VC awarded to a Jerseyman [the Island already has the other 4] ... Lieutenant Henry Pitcher VC, awarded for action on the North-West Frontier in the Umbeyla Campaign in 1863.

The vendor [great grand-daughter of Lt Piltcher] has withdrawn the medal from sale at Spink's to allow the Societe time to raise the necessary funds [£90,000]. She is intending to contribute the proceeds towards the cost of a new gym and swimming pool at DMRC Headley Court. :thumleft:

The Societe are trying to raise the funds to buy the medal through the HELP FOR HEROES campaign. Pledges should contact Mr Frank Falle on 01534 758314 and leave their contact details.

Just thought I'd mention that :wink:
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads