The Royal Irish Regiment

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by Red_Troop, Nov 17, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I know the 1st Battalion is part of 16 Air Assault Brigade is this permanent?

Or does the battalion swap with other Royal Irish Regiments or other battalions from the army?

Do they have to undergo parachute training?

2. Sadly there is now only one battalion. I think 1 R Irish in permanently in 16Bde, but I have been wrong before.

I'll leave for someone less maudlin to fill in the P Coy bits in detail, but from what I can gather its not compulsory to complete P Coy or jumps but there are a right few wearing green wings.

Those that have them seem not to display the brown variant.
  3. There are 2 Bns of R IRISH! 2 R IRISH is (albeit) the TA bn.
  4. OK - fair enough there are 2 Bns, but only one in regs and therefore eligible to be permanently in 16Bde. No slight intended whatsoever, apology offered, mess webley loaded with blank on this occasion.

Still sad there's only 2 Bns.
  5. True, we turned from the largest Regt in the British Army to the smallest over night!

Mr D
  6. They're green wings because its 'Rifles', innit. And well cammo.
  7. They wear green wings because they're the Royal Irish and that's it. So do the Gurkas and the London Irish. London Irish are also 150 years old next year... Stick that in your pipe and smoke it the 'Rifles'!

T C
  8. You obviously know sweet FA about the Royal Irish's antecedents then? Did the Inniskillens, Irish Fusiliers and for that matter, the UDR also wear green stripes and badges?

(The London Irish are in fact the London Irish RIFLES FYI.)

:roll: :roll: :wink:
  9. you are both right. The Royal Irish/Ulster Rifles, and the LIR wore black stripes on a green background.

When the Royal Irish Rangers were created, that was reversed to green over black, to acknowledge the "rifles" aspect of a third of the regiment, and the "irishness" of the Skins and the Faughs, and after renaming to Royal Irish Riment, that was continued.