The Royal Irish Rangers

Go ahead lads - knock yourselves out! Or each other - I don't care! 8)

For example - will you be retitled Royal Irish Regiment?

Where will your new strength be found and where will you put them?

Are all RIR members racist bigots who should serve time?

It will be interesting to see what goes on in a TA Bn that can't train in it's own country.

hahahahahaha ok rascist bigots? dont ALL TA units have at least one?
we do MOST of our training in "our own Country" and I dont believe we will be retitled, it was bandied about around 9-10 years ago but nothing came of it. I dont think most Rangers would want to be Royal Irish Regiment, and it would only be for one reason, the Royal Irish Regiment (HSPT) are regular soldiers on a part time contract and we are TA soldiers on TA contracts, they have a home security role and we dont. It could/may lead to people being confused about who we are and what we do and possibly lead to more targetting of Royal Irish Ranger personnel (at the moment we are not targetted by terrorists, thats what 107 BDE say so it must be true!!)

Faugh-A-Ballagh

ps of course if I'm talking outta ma hoop just say so :lol:

FAB - what do you mean by your own country? Do you train in Northern Ireland or do you still fly over to GB? I don't think Uncle Gerry and his mates would care what 107 Bde think!

Yes, bigots are in all units but generally in my area that went the way of the Dodo with the amount of ethnic squaddies on the books in the last 15 years or so.

Rifle-Green-Sex-Machine said:
Yes, bigots are in all units but generally in my area that went the way of the Dodo with the amount of ethnic squaddies on the books in the last 15 years or so.
I think you just had a Gareth moment there, dear boy.

just got the Gareth bit - yes, he is a prize nobber but we had someone just like him! :oops:

I meant to say we are well recruited by all aspects of society and that working hard and sharing the misfortunes of wet and soggy exercises together makes you understand our neighbours rather than despise them.

Black Rain - is it outside training or more like a TEWT?

Don't get this - why is RGSM having a go at The RANGERS?

Bit biggotted of him I'd say... whot!

Rifle-Green-Sex-Machine said:
Go ahead lads - knock yourselves out! Or each other - I don't care! 8)

For example - will you be retitled Royal Irish Regiment?

Where will your new strength be found and where will you put them?

Are all RIR members racist bigots who should serve time?

It will be interesting to see what goes on in a TA Bn that can't train in it's own country.
Sorry RGSM still being dim... explain " Go ahead lads - knock yourselves out!" - where did that come from - a previous post now deleted?

Then explain... Are all RIR members racist bigots who should served time?"

I would point out that "RIR" does not exist in the Army Order of Battle.

Now if your "racist and bigot slur" is referring to our modern day, The Royal Irish Regiment, (27th Inniskillings) 83rd and 87th, and The Ulster Defence Regiment; then the correct abbreviation in the Army List is R IRISH. - And offence is taken - how dare you make ill judged and stupid comments like that when you obviously don't know the Regiment or its 300 year plus history!

Now if your "racist and bigot" slur is directed at The Royal Irish Rangers (Volunteers) then the correct abbreviation is The RANGERS. And again offence is taken for the same reasons above!

As for the war fighting bit... which you don't seem to even consider then be educated. The RANGERS sent a formed Platoon plus, into Iraq on Op Telic 1 with 16 Air Assault Bde(?) and have also supported other units on Op Telic 2,3,4, and 5. They have also served in Bosnia, Kosovo and in addition completed joint training with The Lituanian Army and the US National Guard. They regularly train in the main Trg areas on NI and Scotland - and so does every other unit in NI - Reg and TA

As for the HS R IRISH - they sent a multiple from 3R IRISH on Op Telic 1 and currently there is a multiple from 2R IRISH serving with the PWRR. Note - it was a HS R IRISH 2Lt Pl Comd who won the MC as a Pl Comd attached to 1PWRR and in the same action as Pte Beharry gained his well deserved VC. - I should also educate you that the HS Officers and Soldiers Volunteer to go to Iraq as their TACOS only cover them to serve in NI.

And furthermore...

Sorry -rant over - long day - just don't like the tone and way RGSM was asking his questions so had to have a pop. Me thinks he's a journo looking to stir it up.

TZA

TZA - definately not a journo - I am out now and work in construction. In fact I am up your way every month for meetings (except the silly season) at Queens Uni.

I know you can't read the tone and the smilies don't seem to help either. Let me explain.

I was stopped outside Enniskillen five years ago when an armoured merc was run off the road. HS guys (rifle green beret, kit 95, harp badge, etc) were controlling the traffic while the RUC (as it was then) attended the vehicle. I asked the kind HS squaddie in my normal cockney accent what was up and what was the best way to Portadown. He noticed that I was driving a car with southern plates on and told me to f~ck off back home Paddy lover. I know that it is well documented that certain elements of the UDR were UDA/UVF/RHC etc and recruited mainly from the Loyalist community. The bias present then seemed to be evident from this chance meeting with a random HS squaddie. I don't know the facts but as an ex squaddie I did not like him assuming anything just from a number plate - the racism/bigotry was on autopilot and came straight out.

I have met some Rangers and liked them very much, but as you come from the same communities I wondered if the attitude was the same?

As for the history of the RIR - I am fully aware of your history and predecessors - my uncle was a Skin during WW2, as was his father before him in WW1. My cousins father in law has a large WW1 victory medal for her Father who died serving in the Royal Irish Fusiliers.

As for training, you have to forgive me there, but I was told by the Rangers I met that you couldn't train at home because of the threat. You can see from by replies that I am glad to hear that you can stay at home (always wondered how you could manage a full weekend if you had to spend half of it flying)

I am aware of the service given by the Rangers on Telic. I was not aware that the HS guys could serve outside NI.

Now, hopefully you will see where I am coming from. The manner of the questions might be harsh, but that doesn't mean you have to bite. The phrase "knock yourselves out" means take it away, carry on, etc. I'm sure you have heard of that?

Well RGMN, you did not explain yourself very well in your first post, did you. That was intentionally meant to get peoples backs up, was it not.

I think the guys have explained the points you were enquiring about, as for the HS guy giving you a bit off gip, well he was probably letting of alittle steam, we all do don't we. Off course any organisation is going to have bigots and racists, only this is only a small percentage, very small.

I am sorry you that you were faced with alittle backlash, but do not tar the majority, who really do not give a sh1t where one is from or what one is.

:lol:

It was intentionally meant to get the thread moving. It was a slow starter but that's the Rangers for ye! :wink: (please - note the smiley)

Ducati - is the Orange land Armagh, where the football team play in orange? :)