The Rommel Myth

Maybe, but it is the Mail, same as the Sun or Star but with words of more than one syllable.

Hmmmm I wonder if anyone being led away by the gestapo would admit to being part of the assasination plot, wasn't there some bollocks about monty being a shirt lifter not so long ago? Its quite easy to slag people of when they are dead ,even easier if they have been dead for some time.
All myths and rumours, quite typical of the mail really.

sunami said:
Reading that I see very little proof that Rommel was anything other than a good soldier. In fact most of it is what Hitler would do if Rommel won. The story doesnt see, to say much about Romel other than if he won more jews would have died. The jews were in for a hard time no matter what German soldier took ground.
So it seems the Mail has taken it out of context as usual.

The Mail is refering to an exhibition in Stuttgart, whereas the Spiegel refers to a documentary broadcast on Germany's ZDF.
There's no doubt about the mans tactical and soldiering prowess, only his political inclinations.

What were his political inclinations? Being publicly supported of Adolf was good for you health in those days. Is there any real proof that he was a bit of a bastard?

He was Physical a very brave man as his WW I exploits show.
He was a First Class Leader of Men and Armoured formations from North France to North Afrika.
I am sure that he dispensed with Hitlers Commando order in Afrika.
And I have never heard of deployment of Gestapo or SS to N Afrika.
john
Oh he was no Staff Officer, never did the General Staff course.

B

BambiBasher

jonwilly said:
And Corporal Hitler won the Iron Cross for bravery in WW1.

jonwilly said:
He was a First Class Leader of Men
As was Sepp Dietrich.

jonwilly said:
No.

jonwilly said:
And I have never heard of deployment of Gestapo or SS to N Afrika.
They would have deployed after the victory, and in any case the Wehrmacht was willing enough to do the wet work in Russia, so why not in Palestine?

The plots against Hitler were little more than a falling-out among thieves.

I would have thought that it would be hard to have progressed within the German forces at that time unless one was a reliable Party member.

I met his son Manfred, when he was mayor of Stutgart. Nice bloke, He came to Cardiff as it was the partner city .They had a do in the city hall so I had a chat with him about his dad. He was quit impresed with my Kraut

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
BambiBasher said:
jonwilly said:
No.
Do elaborate as I'd always read that he'd ignored the order too. I'm curious as to just how wrong I was.

There was Hungarian serving in 10 inter allied commando who was taken prisoner just before D Day who was interagated by Rommel and not shot

BambiBasher said:
jonwilly said:
And Corporal Hitler won the Iron Cross for bravery in WW1....
<snip>
...The plots against Hitler were little more than a falling-out among thieves.
What such as the attempts by General Henning von Tresckow or General Hans Oster who actually informed the Allies of the dates of Fall Gelb? Even the previously pacifistic head of the Confessing Church Dietrich Bonhoeffer submitted to the idea of violent overthrow of the Nazi regime and this was before it was clear that Nazi Germany had lost the war.

You've made a throwaway statement which dishonours the memory of many good people operating under unimaginable pressure under a horrendous regime.

stacker1 said:
wasn't there some bollocks about monty being a shirt lifter not so long ago? .
Quite scandalous!

Although if you had to pick one person from the following group:

Baden-Powell
Slim
Montgomery

Who had a thing for little boys. Admit it, you'd pick Monty for sure. He looks the part.

In Erwin' s defence the fruitiest thing he ever did was Walburga Stemmer.

Cheers

Mick

Apparently, Rommel used to do really stinky farts in the staff car and roll up all the windows and turn the heaters on full until it made his driver feel sick. The Bast ard!

Who gives a fück. He's a dead nazi now. Post war his son created the myth of the 'good German' and edited out his nazism.

I think it's been known for years that he was part great tactician, part Nazi party supporter and part a product of Nazi propaganda.

I think as you're being led away to commit suicide and part of the bargain is your family will be left alone that might not be the time to say nasty things about Adolf.

The Daily Mail suffers from amnesia when it suits :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daily_Mail#Support_for_Nazism_and_Fascism

Support for Nazism and Fascism
In early 1934, Rothermere and the Mail were sympathetic to Oswald Mosley and the British Union of Fascists[9]. Rothermere wrote an article, "Hurrah for the Blackshirts", in January 1934, in which he praised Mosley for his "sound, commonsense, Conservative doctrine"[10].

Rothermere was a friend and supporter of both Benito Mussolini and Adolf Hitler, which influenced the Mail's political stance towards them up to 1939. During this period, it was the only British newspaper consistently to support the German Nazi Party.[11][12] Rothermere visited and corresponded with Hitler on many occasions. On 1 October 1938, Rothermere sent Hitler a telegram in support of Germany's invasion of the Sudetenland, and expressing the hope that 'Adolf the Great' would become a popular figure in Britain.

In 1937, the Mail's chief war correspondent, George Ward Price, to whom Mussolini once wrote in support of him and the newspaper, published a book, I Know These Dictators, in defence of Hitler and Mussolini. Evelyn Waugh was sent as a reporter for the Mail to cover the anticipated Italian invasion of Ethiopia.

Rothermere and the Mail supported Neville Chamberlain's policy of appeasement, particularly during the events leading up to the Munich Agreement. However, after the Nazi invasion of Prague in 1939, the Mail changed position and urged Chamberlain to prepare for war.

Random_Task said:
Possibly,I've always thought the lionshare of Hitler's generals were a bunch of schemers, who were only really concerned about being on the winning side.
Got to be a wah! haha, who'd have thought it!? Generals getting together and coming up with schemes to win a war. That road will lead to madness, glad it didnt catch on in the British Army.