The Role of US Special Forces in Vietnam

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Trip_Wire, Nov 8, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

I ran across this website and thought it was pretty interesting, for those interested in the war in Vietnam and the way, our Special Forces teams worked with the indigenous people there, especially the Montagnards.

The site also covers the French role in Vietnam, to some extent.

The picture series taken by an SF Medic working with the Montagnards are very interesting. (The Fragile islands of memory.)
  2. Interesting website. I'm new to the net and these sites are a revelation. Often think USSF's work in Vietnam has been overshadowed by the Col Kurtz factor. The last decent book I read was Beckwith's.
    I've always thought that the US forces in Vietnam have been underrated this side of the pond ; There were bad units but equally a lot of good ones - the 101 for e.g....the '13 th valley' by J De Vechio gives a good insight.
  3. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

This is one of the reasons that I post such websites.

As for the 'Col Kurtz factor,' this movie, is about as far from the true role of USSF in Vietnam as one can get. Yes, there were many fine units and soldiers in that war.

1st Cavalry (Air Mobile)
    173rd Airborne
    101st Airborne
    82nd Airborne (Units of)
    Ranger Companys

And many more.
  4. Reading some of the stuff on Phoenix could give one sleepless nights. A friend of mine was involved in it and he's now totally f****d. He emigrated, eventually, to New Zealand.
  5. Read a book on Phoenix by a retired Navy Seal. It turned out to be a bit disappointing as it only sketched over the Op, but sounded interesting. One step away from a real life Jason Bourne (in fact if you read the Bourne Identity, it is about a Phoenix style oppo who loses it).

It is very interesting to read about what US SF did in Vietnam, how they took notes from UK involvement in Aden, Malaya etc. Read some good articles on it when doing some Mil Ed for promotion. As stated - underated and if they hadn't been viewed supsiciously by senior elements and supported more, the outcome may have been different...interesting that the supposed "dark stain" on the US SF image was what caused reluctance to involve any SF in Gulf War 1.