THe Role of the Infantry

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by Cutaway, May 21, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

"The role of Infantry is to seek out and close with the enemy, to kill or capture him, to seize and hold ground and to repel attack, by day or night, regardless of season, weather or terrain".

The Diggers all get imbued with the role of the infantry, a standard definition which leaves no room for misunderstanding.
    It should be up on the billet wall, (accommodation block in newspeak,) and every sprog should learn it.

Why do our recruits not get a similar explanation, or wouldn't it be politically correct ?

2. The Infantry's missions is:

“To defeat the enemy through close combat”

DInf said so.

It should be on the wall in every infantryman's room during training.

3. That's what I was always lead to believe in my twentysome years as an infantryman. It WAS posted prominently on the walls of training rooms at the Depot and also in my Bn. Can't dilute or warm and fuzzy it to satisfy the PC Brigade.

4. Think you'll find that it's cannon fodder - enemy or friendly, doesn't matter! :wink:

5. Cuts. my old Adjutant had this on the door of his office , actually so did the previous one who was commissioned from the ranks , fine warry gentlemen both.

I've also seen it in the training wing at ITC .

6. Now that is the latest version.

An older version of a white, pink and green book (Jul 02) has the following:

The Infantry's mission is:

'to close with and engage the enemy, in concert with other arms in all operational theatres and environments, in order to bring about his defeat.'

I think some dilution has taken place over time.

7. From e-Battle Box 6:

The Infantry Mission is —
    ‘to close with and engage the enemy in all operational
    theatres and environments, in order to bring about his
    defeat’.

Not checked 7 yet. Also got it on main noticeboard of our RTC and seen it plenty of other places as well.

8. So what has happened is we've gone from:

"The role of Infantry is to seek out and close with the enemy, to kill or capture him, to seize and hold ground and to repel attack, by day or night, regardless of season, weather or terrain"

to:

"to close with and engage the enemy, in concert with other arms in all operational theatres and environments, in order to bring about his defeat"

to:

"to close with and engage the enemy in all operational theatres and environments, in order to bring about his defeat"

to:

“To defeat the enemy through close combat”

I have noticed a link - as the infantry gets smaller so does its mission statement. I think the next mission statement will be :

'Infantry ergo sum'

9. Inf we kill. :lol:

10. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

While I agree with the statement - how can it ever be different? Nowadays the Infantry are there to make the army look good by doing to job the army was set up for - thus allowing shed loads of cash to be spent on REMFs while paring away at the strength of the Infantry. After all they will never vote Neu Arbeit. :wink:

p.s. for all REMFs this is what is known to real human beings as a joke! (Apart from the first sentence)

11. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Sorry - seems to have been a stutter.

To paraphrase Admiral Beattie at Jutland "There appears to be something wrong with our Arrse tonight" :!:

12. Which bit is the joke?

And would any of you bright Infantry types like to explain the Echelon system to me; when you all bang on about REMFs do you actually mean Rear Area or do you mean everyone that's not Infantry (apart from the REMFs who presumably have honorary non-REMF status for purposes of the insult).

Kids coming out of Staff College these days :roll: Forget Shrivenham, Hollywood tells all!

13. Who cares what the bit behind us is called? The enemy are in front...
    REMF = anyone behind us... so, yes, everyone else

14. ...and dont start whittering on about FOOs and things, they're only there because we bring them along to help

15. Always thinking about food aren't you you fat knacker?

thanks for clearing that up.