The RLC Review

Discussion in 'RLC' started by pombsen-armchair-warrior, Dec 11, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just received my RLC Review. Whilst it has certainly grown in size, and there are some pretty decent contributions, the Review comprises, nearly without exception (the exception (just) being the anon article about a mute waiter in the Far East) seriously dry content, and is sadly lacking in humour.

Perhaps this is deliberate, and an attempt by the RLC to publicly proclaim itself as a serious, competent, professional outfit. However, articles such as those that used to be penned by 'Sustainer' would, in my opinion add a little balance to the Review and show that although we take our profession seriously, we take ourselves less so.

Just a thought.
  2. Not sure how much editorial control the editor has. It is has you suggest become more of a trade magazine aimed outside the corps rather than a magazine for serving memebers to find out what each other is up to and enjoy reading. Shame really.
  3. I've got no real issues with the Review. If it's supposed to be professional journal then it should be serious.

Like you say if its more than that then it needs to lighten up - but from a scan of the introduction I don't think it is designed to be anything but a 'professional' journal - so its up to the Sustainer to stay 'interesting'.

Have heard the editor of the journal has been rather liberal with editing, upsetting some of those who had articles butchered and then published.
  4. There is more to it than that, with degrees of old Corps rivalries and trying to outdo each other at senior levels stil;l obviously present. Shame really as RLC deserves better.

5. I'll second that. An RAF officer I work with was spouting some rubbish the other day about the RLC - the source - yep, died in the wool red tabs.

Roll on an all RLC born and bred Corps.
  6. Bowmore_Assassin

Bowmore_Assassin LE Moderator Book Reviewer

I generally find most spoutings from RAF officers with regard to the Army (and just anbout anything else, especially if they are pilots) are utter pish and should be ignored.

There are a large number of personnel who are ex of the forming Corps who are perfectly content that we are in the RLC, understand military supply chain business as a holistic logistic process and the constituent parts of it that our many trades play. Diversity is part of what makes life in the RLC interesting. An "all born and bred Corps" will take, approx another 15-20 years for all the officers in forming Corps to depart...Some of us were quite young when the RLC fomed !

Back to The Review, not seen - I am somewhere sunny. Is there an electronic version on line ? Grateful if anyone has a link.
  7. No mate, but frankly tha fact that you haven't got a copy (however sunny you might be) is indicative of the way in which the Review is supplied in the first place. Plenty of copies in outer offices though, which is a shame as we deserve better.
  8. Bowmore_Assassin

Bowmore_Assassin LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Ah, Thanks. I did not think it was on-line but I thought I would ask. Cheers.
  9. Just been looking this latest version and it is an excellent read for those finding sleep difficult. Too many articles by the same style of author - mini BAR stuff not really fascinating more a collection of rather poor YO essays. Interesting bit about KAJAKI otherwise turdgid (sic)